The ages of the players we're getting in/linked with

Syrette

Barton, Viduka, Beye, Rozehnal, Edmilson, Gudjohnson, Geremi. 24, 31, 29, 26, 30, 28, 28 respectively.

Am I the only one who'd like us to at least be linked with younger players?

I'd be very happy with all of the above myself but deep down I'm a bit worried that we only seem to get linked with the older (aside from Barton and Baines) player. Would like us to get linked more to players that are young, full of potential, and have something to prove.

Guest Darth Toon

I think Sam has identified our lack on on-pitch leaders as a big problem, and is recruiting accordingly. He's also talked about the pressure of playing in front of a demanding SJP crowd, so is obviously looking for those with the experience to cope.

Still plenty of youngsters in and around the first team - Taylor, Milner, N'Zogbia, Martins etc but we could certainly use a few older heads to help them along.

Nope, I think it's good strategy. It's clear we'll have money, but I think the idea of buying a few players just in their 30s who are good enough to get us into the top 5 or 6 if they're at their best is good business. Once we're there, we'll be in a much stronger position 2 years down the line to buy a better, younger version, and Viduka & Edmilson who'll then be 32 & 33, can act as squad players.

I'm liking this strategy.

I think Sam has identified our lack on on-pitch leaders as a big problem, and is recruiting accordingly. He's also talked about the pressure of playing in front of a demanding SJP crowd, so is obviously looking for those with the experience to cope.

Still plenty of youngsters in and around the first team - Taylor, Milner, N'Zogbia, Martins etc but we could certainly use a few older heads to help them along.

Agreed. I can understand him going after the more experienced player - it makes a lot of sense in the short term at least (I think it's a good strategy too) - and as I said I'd be delighted if we could get the majority of the players we're linked with but I'd also like us to sign a couple of young talents too. Not saying we won't but aside from Baines (and I think that's a lost cause now) I can't recall us being properly linked with any.

Barton, Viduka, Beye, Rozehnal, Edmilson, Gudjohnson, Geremi. 24, 31, 29, 26, 30, 28, 28 respectively.

I'd be very happy with all of the above myself but deep down I'm a bit worried that we only seem to get linked with the older (aside from Barton and Baines) player. Would like us to get linked more to players that are young, full of potential, and have something to prove.

All got 3,4 and 5 years in front of them

And why the fuck not sign the finished article - you want more Brambles, Dyers, Vianas etc. that will provide us with fuck all over 3/5 years at an astronomically inflated price in comparison?

Edmilson though.....strange one that considering his present circumstances.

And why the fuck not sign the finished article - you want more Brambles, Dyers, Vianas that will provide us with fuck all over 3/5 years at an astronomically inflated price in comparison?

Someone didn't read my post. I said I'm very happy with getting them players in, I'm just a little worried that other than Baines and Barton we've not really been linked with any young players. Not even speculation. And I don't mean automatic first-teamers, I'm also thinking of the likes of the teenagers clubs like Liverpool buy all the time.

Many people are saying we should pad out the squad then target bigger players.

But I see it the other way around. I think we should sort out our first team and see which positions we can fill (not all signings go through etc) and then go for younger 'prospects' in those positions where they will actually have a chance of getting a game. In the past we've signed players like Viana then found we weren't sure where to play them.

I agree with the current policy. Our squad lacks experience, we haven't been streetwise enough in recent times. Souness tried to get older players and failed but I put that more down to his terrible man management and tactics as well as a string of bad injuries.

Guest Darth Toon

What you also have to bear in mind is that very little is coming out of the club in terms of transfer deals until they're confirmed as either in talks or signed, so nobody really knows who's on the radar.

Admittedly as a toon fan this is all somewhat confusing - really don't know how to cope with seeing the club acting in a professional, efficient manner with a clear strategy in place - wtf is going on??  ???

Guest Bramble OG

i want us to build a squad of players capable of finishing in the top 6, if SA thinks the players were getting in can do that then i dont care how old they are,  id much rather have a good season(hopefully) with these experienced players then you will get the top young players and so called big names wanting to play for us rather than begging them to come with huge wages and crazy escape clauses etc..

That said i think SA will add a few good young players and more expensive signings this season once he has built a good solid base of players

Yeah I'd rather we stabalise things for the moment. If we improve then we can think about bringing in the younger talent.

We have a few young ones to deal with at the moment anyway!

I thik we will have a good mix, we need experiene and these players will give us it whilst still have a good few years in them yet.  Hopefully our acadamy will kick out a few gems and bring a couple of good youth players in to compliment these and we should be spot on.

Nope, I think it's good strategy. It's clear we'll have money, but I think the idea of buying a few players just in their 30s who are good enough to get us into the top 5 or 6 if they're at their best is good business. Once we're there, we'll be in a much stronger position 2 years down the line to buy a better, younger version, and Viduka & Edmilson who'll then be 32 & 33, can act as squad players.

I'm liking this strategy.

Far more sensible to do it that way rather than splashing out large amounts on one of two top players. The money needs to be spent eventually but it makes more sense to qualify for Europe and look like an attractive prospect before we do.

Guest Morph

The last time we were linked with young players...hmmm... lets see....

Hugo Viana

Jermaine Jenas

Titus Bramble

Darren Ambrose

James Milner

Diego Gavilan

Lomana LuaLua

Kieron Dyer

Did any of them young players get us anywhere?  And most of them were deemed to be good as well.

Guest exilim

And why the f*** not sign the finished article - you want more Brambles, Dyers, Vianas that will provide us with f*** all over 3/5 years at an astronomically inflated price in comparison?

Someone didn't read my post. I said I'm very happy with getting them players in, I'm just a little worried that other than Baines and Barton we've not really been linked with any young players. Not even speculation. And I don't mean automatic first-teamers, I'm also thinking of the likes of the teenagers clubs like Liverpool buy all the time.

What about bakari sagna?

Guest Bramble OG

Many people are saying we should pad out the squad then target bigger players.

But I see it the other way around. I think we should sort out our first team injuries.

i just think doing it that way your more likely to get shafted for wages etc, the player can see we have no squad of players and are desperate to fill that position, and having a squad in place before you go for these players sorts out the players who want to come and fight for a place rather than those coming cos know they have a place in the team each week

Admittedly as a toon fan this is all somewhat confusing - really don't know how to cope with seeing the club acting in a professional, efficient manner with a clear strategy in place - wtf is going on??  ???

:D

This.

Also with so many stories in the press being totally made up, they're always likely to pick out older players to link us with due to Sams work at Bolton. I think Sam has done exactly the right thing and is addressing all of the problems I've been worried about in the past. We've need a lot of NOW players for too long now as I've got sick of waiting for the TOMORROW players to perform.

Younger players will be on the agenda soon, no need to worry about that! :)

Too often managers have this dream of building a side and keeping it virtually unchanged for a long spell of dominance. It rarely ever happens and it still amazes me that so many try to go out and build a who team of players under 24/25.

Good experienced pros aren't a momentary phenomenon- in a few years you'll see current 'peak performers' in the same bracket. It's a continual process. I'm delighted that we're managing to get some dependable quality players in for a fraction of what we used to spend on 'fingers crossed' wonderkids.

And why the f*** not sign the finished article - you want more Brambles, Dyers, Vianas etc. that will provide us with f*** all over 3/5 years at an astronomically inflated price in comparison?

Edmilson though.....strange one that considering his present circumstances.

Spot on Crumps.

However I think Edmilson would be an awesome signing, even though he's currently injured.

Top post.

I think the idea is to steady the bloody ship first before moving on to invest in youth. The way to go imo. Sam has got it spot on, and the coming days will prove that.