Allardyce wants to extend his 3 year deal already

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

THERE'S NO QUICK FIX

AFTER 38 YEARS WITHOUT A MAJOR TROPHY NEW TOON BOSS ALLARDYCE WARNS...

Brian Mcnally 01/07/2007 (Sunday Mirror)

SAM Allardyce has warned Newcastle's billionaire owner Mike Ashley and an expectant Toon Army: "It could take five years to bring success to St James' Park."

Allardyce's arrival on Tyneside has sparked a wave of optimism among fans but the cautious Magpies boss insists there is no quick fix to Newcastle's problems.

And he believes that to build long-term success and stability, Ashley must follow the example of Manchester United, who gave Sir Alex Ferguson nearly four seasons before he delivered his first trophy.

AdvertisementAllardyce said: "The bottom line is that the club has not lived up to its expectations for many years now. The closest to bringing it to the level it expected was Sir Bobby Robson.

"We have to accept that we are not quite as good as we think we are. We have to build on that and make sure we get to the levels people expect as quickly as we can.

"But there is no magic wand I can wave. If I can wave a magic wand, I cannot do it overnight.

"I need time and I need patience and I need support from everyone at the club. I will need support from the fans."

In a candid and stark address to those supporters, Allardyce claimed his first target is simply to finish above last season's 13thplace under previous manager Glenn Roeder.

But whether that would be good enough to satisfy the fiercely ambitious Ashley and the Toon Army is open to question.

Allardyce explained: "Let's have it low key and let's grow, finish above where we finished last year, get more points and get higher in the league. Any more than that I see as a bonus.

"We should not say that if we do not finish in the top six then that is a miserable, underachieving season. That should not be the case.

"We should start with a low expectation and try to overachieve, then we will look at the end of the season and say we did more than expected and the glass is half full and not half empty."

Ashley, who will hand the manager a £40million-plus transfer fund after securing 93 per cent of the club, has set a three-year timetable for success.

But Allardyce points to the Manchester United approach as the way forward - and wants to emulate Fergie's success.

He added: "Let's take the best in the world, Sir Alex Ferguson. It took him five years.

"He brings success on a regular basis and he destroys teams and rebuilds teams on a regular basis which very few managers are capable of doing.

"In the initial stages, four years on there were no trophies, no titles and then in the end he got it right.

"Every manager who stays the longest at a football club brings more success than any club that changes their managers on a regular basis.

"I would hope that I would get those five years.

"If I am here for five years it would mean I have got what I want and the club has what it wants - a successful business that has grown to be successful on the field."

BIG SAM'S SHAKE-UP

IN: Mark Viduka (M'Boro, free) Joey Barton (Man City £5.8m) David Rozehnal (Paris St Germain £2.9m)

OUT: Titus Bramble (Wigan, free) Scott Parker (West Ham, £7m) Alan O'Brien (Hibernian, free) Antoine Sibierski (Wigan, free) Released: Pavel Srnicek, Olivier Bernard

I agree that we need to keep our feet on the ground but I wouldn't see finishing 12th as progress but looking at things realisticly we ended up so far behind other clubs that we could be 10 points better off than last and still wouldn't qualify for the UEFA.  10 points would have had us finishing in 10th, we would probably need to pick up an extra 5 wins to qualify, it's possible but we'll know better once we have the players in place, I think we need 5 or 6 more in if we don't get rid of any more.

Guest nufc16

its good to have a bit of realism after the souness and roeder lines of 'this is a big club that deserves top 6 etc etc', just to abate the fans. shows he's not afraid to tell us some hard truths, which tbf, i think everyone realises, we've just had to put up with gobshites thinking we're simply enough to be taken in by the all the big club shite that previous managers thought we'd lap up and forget the shit football and poor results.

At the bottom of that article, the "In's & Out's" bring a smile to my face.

Have to say, I'm liking his craic and if his performance thus far on the transfer front is anything to go by, he'll do for me.

He seems to have a way with the press and, dare I say it, his charisma is Keegan like.

For a net spend of £1.7m we're looking a far stronger side already. Lots of time for comings and goings yet though.

Sam knows fine well he wont get 5 years.

I bet he wouldn't tell Mike Ashley he'll take no pay unless in 5 years he has us were we want be (wherever that is) pure bu;lshit from Sam there. He'll keep his job as long as we make a noticable improvement season on season.

THERE'S NO QUICK FIX

AFTER 38 YEARS WITHOUT A MAJOR TROPHY NEW TOON BOSS ALLARDYCE WARNS...

Brian Mcnally 01/07/2007 (Sunday Mirror)

SAM Allardyce has warned Newcastle's billionaire owner Mike Ashley and an expectant Toon Army: "It could take five years to bring success to St James' Park."

Allardyce's arrival on Tyneside has sparked a wave of optimism among fans but the cautious Magpies boss insists there is no quick fix to Newcastle's problems.

And he believes that to build long-term success and stability, Ashley must follow the example of Manchester United, who gave Sir Alex Ferguson nearly four seasons before he delivered his first trophy.

AdvertisementAllardyce said: "The bottom line is that the club has not lived up to its expectations for many years now. The closest to bringing it to the level it expected was Sir Bobby Robson.

"We have to accept that we are not quite as good as we think we are. We have to build on that and make sure we get to the levels people expect as quickly as we can.

"But there is no magic wand I can wave. If I can wave a magic wand, I cannot do it overnight.

"I need time and I need patience and I need support from everyone at the club. I will need support from the fans."

In a candid and stark address to those supporters, Allardyce claimed his first target is simply to finish above last season's 13thplace under previous manager Glenn Roeder.

But whether that would be good enough to satisfy the fiercely ambitious Ashley and the Toon Army is open to question.

Allardyce explained: "Let's have it low key and let's grow, finish above where we finished last year, get more points and get higher in the league. Any more than that I see as a bonus.

"We should not say that if we do not finish in the top six then that is a miserable, underachieving season. That should not be the case.

"We should start with a low expectation and try to overachieve, then we will look at the end of the season and say we did more than expected and the glass is half full and not half empty."

Ashley, who will hand the manager a £40million-plus transfer fund after securing 93 per cent of the club, has set a three-year timetable for success.

But Allardyce points to the Manchester United approach as the way forward - and wants to emulate Fergie's success.

He added: "Let's take the best in the world, Sir Alex Ferguson. It took him five years.

"He brings success on a regular basis and he destroys teams and rebuilds teams on a regular basis which very few managers are capable of doing.

"In the initial stages, four years on there were no trophies, no titles and then in the end he got it right.

"Every manager who stays the longest at a football club brings more success than any club that changes their managers on a regular basis.

"I would hope that I would get those five years.

"If I am here for five years it would mean I have got what I want and the club has what it wants - a successful business that has grown to be successful on the field." 

BIG SAM'S SHAKE-UP

IN: Mark Viduka (M'Boro, free) Joey Barton (Man City £5.8m) David Rozehnal (Paris St Germain £2.9m)

OUT: Titus Bramble (Wigan, free) Scott Parker (West Ham, £7m) Alan O'Brien (Hibernian, free) Antoine Sibierski (Wigan, free) Released: Pavel Srnicek, Olivier Bernard

He reads the forum  :frantic:

Let's have it low key and let's grow, finish above where we finished last year, get more points and get higher in the league. Any more than that I see as a bonus.

I'm sorry but that's just crap. Is he seriously saying he'd be happy say we finish 11th with 48 points or whatever? Jesus wept, there's trying to lower expectations, and there's sheer lack of ambition. Simply trying to better our worst season in 14 years is unacceptable imo.

I'm sorry but that's just crap. Is he seriously saying he'd be happy say we finish 11th with 48 points or whatever? Jesus wept, there's trying to lower expectations, and there's sheer lack of ambition. Simply trying to better our worst season in 14 years is unacceptable imo.

Better than making everybody think that we're gonna finish 4th and get in the Champions League.

Set your sights low and the rewards will be even greater IMO.

If Allardyce said from the beginning that we'd finish Top 6 then we finished Top 6, people would not be as celebratory as if he said Top 10 and we finished Top 6; trying to keep people's feet on the ground. We're not out of the danger zone yet

He has a hell of a lot of rebuilding to do tbh! He has always set his sights low but more often than not far exceeded them.

He just realises football is football and nothing is certain, and not everyone can win, but he'll look at every angle to help achieve success on and off the pitch.

I like that mentality, its what the majority of the more sensible fans have been wanting, discussing and expecting for some time now, i think in some ways we out grew our club a long time ago, Bobby's sacking being a pivitol point, and now SA has the same kind of mentality, drive, ambition & common sense as us.

Better than making everybody think that we're gonna finish 4th and get in the Champions League.

If Allardyce said from the beginning that we'd finish Top 6 then we finished Top 6, people would not be as celebratory as if he said Top 10 and we finished Top 6; trying to keep people's feet on the ground. We're not out of the danger zone yet

Exactly, realisically I think he would be disappointed if we finish outside the top 6. There is no point making promises that he may not be able to keep and I am happy with a manager who seems grounded but has clear plans of what needs to be done to progress.

He has a hell of a lot of rebuilding to do tbh! He has always set his sights low but more often than not far exceeded them.

He just realises football is football and nothing is certain, and not everyone can win, but he'll look at every angle to help achieve success on and off the pitch.

I like that mentality, its what the majority of the more sensible fans have been wanting, discussing and expecting for some time now, i think in some ways we out grew our club a long time ago, Bobby's sacking being a pivitol point, and now SA has the same kind of mentality, drive, ambition & common sense as us.

Thats the key, its certainly not unrealisitc to think we can finish top 6 but it is unrealistic to think we should definitely finish top 6.

Thats the key, its certainly not unrealistic to think we can finish top 6 but it is unrealistic to think we should definitely finish top 6.

About sums up my expectations for the season ahead. More sensible thinking from not just the board, the players & the manager but the fans as well will only help.

For far too long all parties have had different ideas, different ambitions and expectations from each other and where the club should be.

It would be nice to see a totally united Newcastle for once, board, players, coaches, manager & fans all dancing to the same tune, and everyone enjoying it while were at it.

i don't think he sets his sights low,he just understands that he'll look daft if he says we will get top 6 and then we don't.

IF he werre to get the players he is currently linked with he may say "improvment is all we are after" but he'll be thinking "we should get top 6"

It's not a game of Simple Simon you know. :lol:

If Allardyce came out and said he was aiming to finish top 6, people would be happy with that, and provided there were signs of improvement, I think fans would accept it if we even finished around 8th-10th.

For me what Allardyce has said is fine as long as in private with the players, he tells them completely different. If he's convinced Owen to stay, surely he's told him we're aiming for higher than "better than last year".

I should think, in private he'll be aiming for top 6. With these players:

Owen,

Martins,

Viduka,

Emre,

Barton,

Dyer,

Butt,

Duff,

Solano,

n'Zogbia,

Given,

How he can be looking anywhere beneath top 6 would be beyond me.

Wait to see who else we sign. If the season started tomorrow we'd struggle to make 10th imo.

When we have an idea who the back 4 are then we can formulate some expectations.

How he can be looking anywhere beneath top 6 would be beyond me.

Who says he is though? Just because he won't come out and say "we'll finish top 6 guarenteed' doesn't mean he's not looking at the Top 6.

Like GeJon says, although he says we're just looking to improve on last season, I think Allardyce would be dissapointed if we finished outside European places. He doesn't have to come out and say it though, he's just trying to be realistic and say "Listen, it's not gonna be easy but we think we could do it"

Guest dover

I read it different to be honest, think hes hinting with the team rip ups that the squad hes assembling now is purely to bring stability, he knows at the moment we cant attract the class of player we need so whats the point in blowing the rumoured 40mil on mediocre players? I expect him to spend fuck all in this window unless owen or martins leave, and weigh up the situation in january, if theres a chance of europe he`ll bring loans to try and get us there. Once we hit the top six another big clear out and better standard of players arriving, exactly same again if we hit the champions league. 3 years is realistic though only if we hit top six next season.

Had a massive grin when i read the list off players out, about time someone sorted that shower of shite out, theres a few more to go if we get anywhere near top six, carr, ameobi, ramage......

Can somebody add a poll to this thread?  I'd be interested to see where people think we should finish given our

close season activities and speculative transfer dealings. 

Given our abysmal season under Roeder, I was and will still be happy with a top 10 finish and the double over

the fucking Mackems.  Anything more than that is just bonus. 

Thing is, we almost got into the top six with a Souness/Roeder tag team in 2005/2006. It's really not that hard.

Heck, even last season I think we were likely to make it if the fallout at Akmaar (nope, can't spell that) didn't happen.

Just bringing out the abilities of our current squad 100% (with no injuries) should be enough for a top 6~7 finish.

Granted, the league should end up being a bit tougher than it was two years ago, but still, I think Sam should be setting his goals at top 7 at least.

People seem to think it'll take a miracle or something. All our squad needs is someone to organise and motivate them. Allardyce is easily that man. Even before the transfer activity I'd have tipped him to get us around 8th, with his own players top 6 has to be the target, 7th-8th would at least signal steady improvement.

But to simply say "Let's have it low key and let's grow, finish above where we finished last year, get more points and get higher in the league. Any more than that I see as a bonus", is unacceptable imo.