World class Signing

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest teepee

i said cb, mainly because i cannot think of a world class left back off the top of my head.

but, one of those two positions!

Which Position would I like a World Class player?

well if, like you say we've got the squad sorted, then it'll be a luxury to have a world class player. In such a situation I think the best place for World Class player to have an effect on results imo is up front. Look how we survived with Shearer surrounded by a paucity of talent. Imagine if we have a "sorted squad" and a World Class Striker.

in this example if we're talking fantasy football stuff, I'd say Torres, a 1996 Shearer or Ronaldo.... van Nistelrooy

In this scenario, Allardyce should be telling Ashley that he's happy with his squad, and he can stick his world class player up his arse.  We don't want to set off down this road again where we've got someone meddling in transfers.

I'm sure there'd be consultation. For example, Ashley might turn around to Allardyce and say, "I've spoke to Barcelona, I can get you Deco for £15m if you want him and he's keen to join. Fancy it?". There might be a player out there who Allardyce likes a lot but doesn't believe he could attract to Newcastle, but Ashley could afford to fund it.

Source? Barcelona have already came out and said he's going nowhere.

Have they? A spanish journalist was on Sky Sports News yesterday saying they're desperate to get rid of him.

We aren't currently in a position to sign world class players - we are struggling to hold onto the one or two we've got. Let's just make some progress next season then we'll be able to lure the top stars.

If's only about 10 days before the transfer window closed, then I'll prefer to strengthen a position that won't greatly affect our player's teamwork, like the centre back or goal keeper.

Sadly I'll prefer a world class left back but not much is available in the market.

An attacking center midfielder. Honestly if we get this position sorted, get someone who will drive the team forward, can see a magical pass and can control the tempo of the game, we'd be set. Him and Barton would make a brilliant partnership and we'd rocket up the league even if we don't make any more signings.

A centre-back. We shouldn't struggle for goals next season...

We did last season. Predominantly due to a lack of creativity in midfield, and all we've done there so far is replace Parker with Barton.

A good attack and an average defense will get you into Europe. A good defense and an average attack will stop you getting relegated.

We did last season. Predominantly due to a lack of creativity in midfield, and all we've done there so far is replace Parker with Barton.

A good attack and an average defense will get you into Europe. A good defense and an average attack will stop you getting relegated.

Yep. Everton in 2004-5 is the exception to the rule.

The return of Owen/Shola and the signing of Viduka might help a tad.

Attacking midfield would be my second choice, absolutely, but i'd love to see us focus a hefty segment of a budget on a defender, a la Woodgate. I mean, when Woodgate played, he was arguably technically the best centre-back Newcastle have ever had (going off what people on here have said). It'd be great to have that again under Allardyce.

Still, like i say, i wouldn't be disappointed if an Arteta or someone came through the door.

PS - how you feel that an attack containing Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins, James Milner, Joey Barton, etc as average; is absolutely shocking in my point of view!  :o

We got to 3rd and 4th with a defence of Bernard, Elliott, Hughes, Griffin, Dabizas, O'Brien, Caldwell, Bramble and Distin plus Woodgate for 3 months. We still need a bit more creativity in midfield. I reckon we'd finish higher with this current squad plus a top-class flair midfielder, than we would with this squad plus a top-class defender.

We got to 3rd and 4th with a defence of Bernard, Elliott, Hughes, Griffin, Dabizas, O'Brien, Caldwell, and Distin plus Woodgate for 3 months. We still need a bit more creativity in midfield. I reckon we'd finish higher with this current squad plus a top-class flair midfielder, than we would with this squad plus a top-class defender.

totally agree - if  we sign enough competent defenders and build a UNIT we have enough, or will have enough if we add a bit of top class creativity, to do very very well as a team next season

Guest ryunufc

In this scenario, Allardyce should be telling Ashley that he's happy with his squad, and he can stick his world class player up his arse.  We don't want to set off down this road again where we've got someone meddling in transfers.

yes true, i think it is good that we have no worries about our spending strength. im interested to see how we fare with the current squad. we are in rebuilding process (retransforming, i cant  find the appropriate word) and i feel this is not the right moment to spend the large portion of the budget provided by ashley.

not only the amount of transfer fee we would also need to offer large salary because nufc is not an attractive destination if we are competing with clubs of better reputation, on top of that we may also need too insert release clause etc i think it makes sense for clubs which are lacking in stability that players want to have some sort of an escape route.

when i observed at bent's valuation (also torres,nani, anderson) and the spending power of other premiership clubs, IMO it is best for us to spend smartly. we are trying to shorten the gap between us and the top 4, whereas they try to maintain the gap between us and them. for them to spend on two or three players more than their normal valuation would not be as risky as if we do the same. they have solid foundation and their current players would just enough to keep the gap for at least a season. massive spending on one or two players would not help without a solid foundation. SBR signed robert and bellamy after close to 2 years, SA signed anelka after 7 years and their timings were perfect.

we should not follow the steps taken by spurs, west ham and probably man city because we have tried that and they have not.  i would not say it would not work for them but it is very risky. even if financially they, us are prepared to deal with the consequence of bad signings, it would still have some negative consequences in the football side. i think with the financial comfort which we have now, we should be more wise and careful because the difference between us and the three clubs i mentioned is that we are more experienced.

I think the most influential position for a world class player is central midfield or up front.

The Zidanes, the Gerrard's, the Kaka's, or the Ronaldo's, the Shevchenko's and the Shearer's.

Seeing as we already have an arguably world class striker in Owen, then a world class central midfielder would improve us the most.

A proper attacking midfielder. The kind that runs at defenders, dribbles round people and generally gets the crowd on their feet.

We haven't had one since Robert and i think that's one of the major things missing from the last couple of seasons. A player who can create something from nothing.

Nene, Sneijder, Tevez, Riquelme all fit the bill.

Alternatively i'd like us to splash out on Philippe Lahm or Christian Chivu. Lahm is still young and is already one of the most highly rated left backs in Europe. Doubt he'd leave regular Champions league football to come and play for us though.

I remember seeing Chivu playing for Romania against England in the European Championships when Keegan was England manager. He was 18 and was playing left back at the time, and was probably the tournament's outstanding player . He's Roma's captain now and now plays CB alongside Mexes but i assume he can still play left back.