Chris Mort speaks

Guest sicko2ndbest

It's not rocket science..

SUCCESSFUL CLUB = MONEY MAKING MACHINE

Agree the above, obviously, but there must be more to it (more "ambitions / desires") to motivate him to buy us, than money.

Put simply, if he wanted to just (continue to) make money  -  would he have invested in a football club??

It's not rocket science...

SPORTS MERCHANDISING BUSINESS + FOOTBALL CLUB = BIGGER MARKET

Yes, publicity, etc . . .  it all makes sense and adds up to a need to be SUCCESSFUL.

The point of this thread is, though, an opportunity was missed to provide a bit more (non-contentious) information.

(PS, I am a Rocket Scientist . . .  )

Information is power...power leads to fear...fear leads to the dark side. :cheesy:

I work with a lot of people who operate like that . . .  not me of course . . .

Hmm. The only money making machine in world football is Man Utd. Madrid lose money, Barca lose money, the Italian clubs bleed money all over the place... Most of them are wildly overvalued given their seemingly constant inability to make profits.

The only way anyone's made real money out of football clubs is by buying them cheap, building up the revenues and floating them on the stock market while promising that they'll be profitable one day. Most of them haven't been. Still, no reason to think Ashley can't repeat that trick. Get us back into the CL, sign some big sponsorship deals, bigger stadium, bigger TV revenues and he might double his money by refloating in five years time.

Agree the above, obviously, but there must be more to it (more "ambitions / desires") to motivate him to buy us, than money.

Put simply, if he wanted to just (continue to) make money  -  would he have invested in a football club??

Sports Merchandising Business + Football Club + High Profile Marketable Players = Bigger Profits

Brain Surgery tbh

Yes, publicity, etc . . .  it all makes sense and adds up to a need to be SUCCESSFUL.

The point of this thread is, though, an opportunity was missed to provide a bit more (non-contentious) information.

Information is power...power leads to fear...fear leads to the dark side. :cheesy:

How's the old anti-gravity drive going?

Good enough to get me up to Level 7 more easily by August, I hope!!!!!!!

I tell ya!

Good enough to get me up to Level 7 more easily by August, I hope!!!!!!!

I tell ya!

:lol:

;)

Mort's strategic review looks at the business side only, Sam is pretty much doing the same thing player/coaching wise.

Sam and Shepherd sort out the transfers, Mort and Ashley will then just approve or not approve based on how much they've been told whoever costs.

Barton and Viduka were only signed after Ashley had approved the deals.

Transfer budget is still to be decided based on strategic review.

Short and long term progress expectations boil pretty much down to the state they find the club in after the review has taken place.

Mort's strategic review looks at the business side only, Sam is pretty much doing the same thing player/coaching wise.

Sam and Shepherd sort out the transfers, Mort and Ashley will then just approve or not approve based on how much they've been told whoever costs.

Barton and Viduka were only signed after Ashley had approved the deals.

Transfer budget is still to be decided based on strategic review.

Short and long term progress expectations boil pretty much down to the state they find the club in after the review has taken place.

If that's the case, why did Mort come out for an interview at this point in time?

What are Ashley's intentions?

There is undoubdtedly a masterplan.

I said in the takeover thread that one of the main reasons for him de-listing was that when he eventually wants to sell, the share price (which is as determined by investor sentiment as it is by inherent value), does not determine the overall value of the club. He can name his price.

Does he have a short - medium term goal? Or is it more long-run.

The argument / Scenario for a shorter investment would be that he invests in the club to make it worth e.g. £400m to another private investor, he has tripled his money and pullled out any profits he could along the way. We would have to be in a lot better position for this to happen, so not too much to worry about.

Thats not brilliant business thinking though, this view of Ashley is narrow and does not account in any way for the massive amount of activity that is going on across his business empire. All of his business's need to be looked at under one strategic umbrella.

So, how do we link all the business's that Ashley has and make sense of any long-term strategy he may have and why on earth he invested in a football club?

For me it boils down to simply a fantastic marketing strategy for his other brands and products. The brand of Newcastle United and the exposure the club could get if it was in the CL will be a powerful marketing tool for his other more lucrative business's. He can use the club to make money itself but it is the brand image of a premiership club that is successful that will open up more international markets for his retail products. If he gets the football business to feed off the retail business (replica shirts) and the retail business for feed off the footbal business (branded sportswear) then he is onto a financial winner.

I said in the takeover thread that one of the main reasons for him de-listing was that when he eventually wants to sell, the share price (which is as determined by investor sentiment as it is by inherent value), does not determine the overall value of the club. He can name his price.

The argument / Scenario for a shorter investment would be that he invests in the club to make it worth e.g. £400m to another private investor, he has tripled his money and pullled out any profits he could along the way. We would have to be in a lot better position for this to happen, so not too much to worry about.

Thats not brilliant business thinking though, this view of Ashley is narrow and does not account in any way for the massive amount of activity that is going on across his business empire. All of his business's need to be looked at under one strategic umbrella.

So, how do we link all the business's that Ashley has and make sense of any long-term strategy he may have and why on earth he invested in a football club?

For me it boils down to simply a fantastic marketing strategy for his other brands and products. The brand of Newcastle United and the exposure the club could get if it was in the CL will be a powerful marketing tool for his other more lucrative business's. He can use the club to make money itself but it is the brand image of a premiership club that is successful that will open up more international markets for his retail products. If he gets the football business to feed off the retail business (replica shirts) and the retail business for feed off the footbal business (branded sportswear) then he is onto a financial winner.

and if the football side is providing that much for the other areas then he may have no need/desire to sell or re list or sell at a later date.

and if the football side is providing that much for the other areas then he may have no need/desire to sell or re list or sell at a later date.

Exactly, its the view that says he will be here for a long time, if we are successful on the pitch he will reap the benefits elsewhere and there would be absolutely no need for him to sell or re-list.

I couldnt see him floating it again, the sentiment has gone out of football stocks forever imo.

"We really need to get stuck into the club. It has got significant debts, I think the debts have got a bit out of hand over the last couple of years it is fair to say. So we need to put that right..."

This mean Ashley's paying them off?

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=wor---peace%26method=full%26objectid=19424167%26siteid=93463-name_page.html

WOR & PEACE

By Martin Hardy

NEW tough-talking Newcastle chief Chris Mort has promised to stop his players quitting St James' Park ... by banning get-out clauses.

He has also pledged to put a stop to the lavish excesses and soft-touch reputation of a club that has blown over £250million in a decade and won nothing.

The Magpies are powerless to hold on to star strikers Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins because of the deals that brought them in.

Owen can go for £9m and Martins can quit if a bid of £13m is received.

Mort, installed as deputy chairman by billionaire Mike Ashley, will take over full power from Freddy Shepherd in the next couple of months.

"We need to go forward and clearly we would prefer not to have those kind of provisions in the contracts," said Mort.

"The guys who brought players in felt they did what they had to do to get them through the door.

"However, the debt levels have got a bit too high and I don't think it will do any harm to have someone coming in with a fresh pair of eyes.

"I think it's a combination of things. Clearly, the debt has been raised with some of the player transfers.

"I will look at whether it would make sense to bring in any specific individuals in specific roles to improve things.

"The intention in the initial period is to look at how the club is currently run but I intend to stay beyond that - I've not come in with a view to stepping down in a couple of months' time, this is absolutely longer term than that.

"It's a fabulous challenge we've taken on.

There are negative aspects to it, but they are far out-weighed by positive aspects."

Mort, a 41-year-old lawyer, has admitted he will act like Peter Kenyon does with Roman Abramovich at Chelsea.

And he has warned manager Sam Allardyce that he will say no if he does not feel deals are right.

"Am I strong enough to say no to Sam? Yes, absolutely," he added.

"If I want to do my job properly, I'm not going to come in a confrontational way.

"Sam and I are going to work together. He's clearly going to lead the charge on who the player targets are. He has the skills to do that.

"Sam's appointment happened before we got involved. Sam was already the manager when we started talking to Sir John (Hall).

"But Sam has to be given time. I think one of the difficulties the club has had is it's lost some stability over the years. If we can give him some stability, I think that would help him to take the club forward.

"Sam is a big enough name to do that.

"Is it similar to Abramovich and Kenyon? Yes, potentially. I've been asked to run the club on a day-to-day basis, so I guess it's comparable in some ways.

"I think the fans would love to get at the top of the table and that's certainly the desire.

"But I think those expectations aren't there currently because that's not what the club have been doing in recent years."

Talks the talk now he needs to start walking!