Wayne Bridge

thedudeabides

I'd be fucking delighted if this comes off! Wanted Bridge here for a long, long time.

If he stays clear of the big injuries he's been prone to then I'm fairly confident that he'll be brilliant for us.

Not sure if I've witnessed a top-class left-back at NUFC since I've been old enough to be classed a "supporter". Beresford was always adequate-good, Pearce came too late, Bernard never became as good as he perhaps should have, etc.

Bridge coming here would top the four signings we've had so far for me.

Guest SwissMagpie

Bridge is class.This Whatever is quite relaible.he said around two days before that we r going to sign Sibi and Rossi.

i wanted to give him a credit in Skunkers board but its quite risky to write there

Guest jamesmartinsmith

I'd be f****** delighted if this comes off! Wanted Bridge here for a long, long time.

If he stays clear of the big injuries he's been prone to then I'm fairly confident that he'll be brilliant for us.

Not sure if I've witnessed a top-class left-back at NUFC since I've been old enough to be classed a "supporter". Beresford was always adequate-good, Pearce came too late, Bernard never became as good as he perhaps should have, etc.

Bridge coming here would top the four signings we've had so far for me.

By far.

There has been talk that Allardyce was interested in Geremi, Lassana Diarra and Bridge.

Diarra is incredible, I really do think he is the replacement for Makelele is world football. We have Geremi and I think I've made my admiration for Bridge clear enough.

If Chelsea get Drenthe then I daresay Bridge is ours.

Barring Cole getting crocked the lad must know he's never going to be a natural first-choice there.

Still, he's at one of the world's biggest clubs, will still have a fair-good chance of being involved in some massive games (like he was last term), he'll be living down South near his family and in the capital and he'll have a lot of mates in that squad with him as well.

I couldn't knock the lad for staying with them, but I would love it if he took the gamble and came up here. Can't help but feel that it's a hopeful one though, how much good can Duff and Parker have to say about us after last season?

If he comes he'll be coming for the first-team football, the money and the new "era" though, I suppose.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

I think Mikel has got the nod ahead of Diarra in terms of replacing Makelele.

God no. Maybe at Chelsea Mikel would play ahead of him but Mikel is nothing like Makelele. Makelele is the ultimate cool, calm defensive midfielder. Mikel is still very aggressive and isn't as good at tackling.

Diarra is almost a clone of Makelele.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Contracts mean fuck all these days, especially at a club like Chelsea.

I'd say £4 million would be a fair guess.

I know people say you shouldn't pay big money for full backs really, but i would pay £7m for him definitely. He is good enough for any team in the Premiership. The players we've brought in so far would mostly be good squad players if they had signed for a top four club probably. Bridge is actually good enough to play every week for a top four team and be a quality player. Rate him so highly.

Guest SwissMagpie

No way 4 M. its more like 7-9 Million.Chelsea already said that they won't sell on cheap anymore(like Duff)

Guest jamesmartinsmith

I suppose. Well, I can't see them asking for any more than £6.5 million.

Guest Guinness

Bridge would be a fantastic signing, but getting Chelsea to actually accept our bid could be difficult. Murinho rates Bridge very highly and will definately not want to sell him. Having said that I seem to recall him not wanting to let Duff go either last season and some of his quotes around the time indicated that it was not his decision. Also if the player does want to come here that could act in our favour. Still can't see us getting him, but it would be an amazing bit of business if we could.

If we did have to push the boat out to sign him, and pay slightly above his value, i think its still worth it when you take into consideration that we are now financially sound, and the best bit of all, the brilliant signings we've already brote in for the prices we've paid. If we had to pay £8m for Bridge it might sound a bit overboard but Rozenhal, Bridge, Geremi, Barton, Viduka in for  around £17m. That isn't bad business imo.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Bridge would be a fantastic signing, but getting Chelsea to actually accept our bid could be difficult. Murinho rates Bridge very highly and will definately not want to sell him. Having said that I seem to recall him not wanting to let Duff go either last season and some of his quotes around the time indicated that it was not his decision. Also if the player does want to come here that could act in our favour. Still can't see us getting him, but it would be an amazing bit of business if we could.

The point is, a lot of sources suggest Chelsea are ready to be for Royston Drenthe.

i dont think its true but he would be a good signing if he could stay fit

i still prefer baines from wigan

I think Bridge is the best left-back in the world. He would be the signing of the summer imo.

Much, much better than Baines. All Baines has over Bridge is youth.

imo he's defnitely one of the top 3 LB's I've ever watched, easily world class

I'll assume that's sarcasm. Hope so anyway.

Name some better left-backs.

Given the posters age? Or based current players? Premiership or worldwide? Depends on the criteria. Bridge is a good player but I suspect this kid and a few others are getting a little carried away.

He is probably in the league below world class simply because he has proved nothing at Premiership or International level. Chelsea have always been looking for a new left back to replace him prior to his injuries. Ability wise he is fine, Kieron Dyer did a fine job of dumping him on his arse 3 times in the same game at SJP playing against Southampton. Mind you he did that a few times to full backs and midfielders. One on the right side of the box at the Gallowgate was quite amusing. He strikes me as a very good player. Watched him since he was young as we were after him in Bobby's day before he went to Chelsea.

Cole, Evra, Heinze (pre injury) have been far more consistent in terms of a seasons service in the very recent past.

If we go farther afield then the list becomes far more lengthy. Phillip Lahm, Zambrotta etc

If we arent covering current players at their peak and the poster is between the age of 12-17 (just my guess) then the likes of Roberto Carlos, Bixente Lizarazu come to mind.

Bridge isnt a bad player but if he has had the chance to see Lizarazu, Carlos, Lahm, Zambrotta or Cole at full pelt then he will see a true world class footballer. Sorin has been a better footballer than Bridge too tbh.

Hence, the top 3 in his time? I assume he is very young. Sounds it tbh

He reminds me of Alan Kennedy standard. Good player but not quite top top class.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Lizarazu is retired isn't he?

I believe Zambrotta is a right-back.

Roberto Carlos, finished ... There is a reason he has gone to Fenerbahce.

Defensively, Lahm is vulnerable. His height (or lack of it) has led to him being dominated in the air (especially against them giants in the Bundesliga) and often he goes down to easily to no avail. I rate Bayern's new signing Marcel Jansen over him.

I do not feel Evra or Heinze are even close to Bridge's ability.

Barca spending £10m on Abidal stunned me, he's been good but £10m!

Riise always looks better going forward than defending.

In my opinion Chelsea have the two best left-backs in the world, in their squad.

Both have the full package. They can both defend well due to pace and tackling ability. Both are strong in the air and can defend centrally when necessary, which I feel has become so important for full-backs in the modern game. Cole is a better all-round player but Bridge's crossing ability is superb, Ashley Cole cannot match Bridge's almost Beckham-esque crossing ability.

i'm 20 and have seen all mentioned

Sorin isn't as good defensively

Lahm (see above)

Zambrotta - prefer him aat RB, lacks aggression at times

Henize, Evra - don't make me fucking laugh

Guest SwissMagpie

Well i wrote on Skunkers and that what i got

do you mean to say that you have never come swiss.

All the new posters' date=' f*** off back to Newcastle Online you bunch of spineless c***s.[/quote']

:'(

All the new posters' date=' f*** off back to Newcastle Online you bunch of spineless c***s.[/quote']

Seems like a mix between angry teenagers and old twisted/bitter losers are a requirement to stay on that forum then, eh...

Lizarazu is retired isn't he?

I believe Zambrotta is a right-back.

Roberto Carlos, finished ... There is a reason he has gone to Fenerbahce.

Defensively, Lahm is vulnerable. His height (or lack of it) has led to him being dominated in the air (especially against them giants in the Bundesliga) and often he goes down to easily to no avail. I rate Bayern's new signing Marcel Jansen over him.

I do not feel Evra or Heinze are even close to Bridge's ability.

Barca spending £10m on Abidal stunned me, he's been good but £10m!

Riise always looks better going forward than defending.

In my opinion Chelsea have the two best left-backs in the world, in their squad.

Both have the full package. They can both defend well due to pace and tackling ability. Both are strong in the air and can defend centrally when necessary, which I feel has become so important for full-backs in the modern game. Cole is a better all-round player but Bridge's crossing ability is superb, Ashley Cole cannot match Bridge's almost Beckham-esque crossing ability.

Retired? I said at peak. If Bridge is in the top 3 the kid has seen ....... :rolleyes:

Zambrotta like Irwin, has played in both fullback positions. Generally on the left though. Like Carlos, they are way ahead of Bridge. As is Cole. Abidal is a lot better than Bridge tbh.

I will be very happy to see him here but he isnt world class. Better than the likes of Shorey and Baines but true world class players tend to have few doubters. Certainly the top 2. I know people get carried away here and talk some right nonsense but I feel the best left back in the worldmoniker is taking it a little too far.

Ronaldo is 20? Sorry about that, you sound younger. Did you ever see Lizarazu? Carlos? Cole? Zambrotta? Irwin?

Bridge is better than them? He certainly hasnt performed that way on his visits to SJP. Not to worry. I will be very happy if he ends up here.

Nb: Try not to be so precious about it Ronaldo. It was quite a terse response earlier to something I could only assume was a pisstake.  :razz:

Seems like a mix between angry teenagers and old twisted/bitter losers are a requirement to stay on that forum then, eh...

Where's Barton??