Reo-Coker set to join Aston Villa

Kev

They are welcome to him. We should be aiming far higher

What, like Joey Barton? Another temperamental but promising midfielder with a dodgy rep?

Fact is that this summer there were three midfielders moving around at (very roughly) the same price - Barton, Parker and NRC. I said a while back I'd have been happy with Barton or NRC, they're both good players.

Reo-Coker was playing at an absolute basket case of a club last year, so it is very hard to judge him on that. He got a lot of stick from their fans, but then again, to be honest, a five minute glance at kumb will tell you all you need to know about West Ham fans. These are the same fans who told us that the reason Ashley Young chose Villa over West Ham (despite them apparently offering him something like 10k a week more) was that he had a major problem with the dressing room politics there, and that the main problem was NRC in particular. Something which clearly wasn't borne out during the U21 championship when you could tell they were obviously close (post match interviews, body language on the pitch etc)

Anyway, I'm just glad we've signed him. Apparently, SWP is currently choosing between us and them, too, so hopefully he'll come down on the side of the righteous as well. I really can't stand West Ham.

And yes, the fee is a little on the high side, but what's the point in having these billionaire owners if you don't get them to push the boat out every now and then?

You are giving NRC far too much credit to mention him in the same sentence as Barton IMHO, and i said the same before any of the 3 moved clubs, and nothing has changed.

He has a big chip on his shoulder ATM, and even when thats gone the talent is only worth about half of the money Villa have paid. I still think he's a good player in there, but he's a long way off Barton's standard, and right now out of the 3 clubs trading, NUFC got the best deal, and i honestly think WHU came in second by a country mile getting Parker in and NRC out for daft money.

here here. NRC's always struck me as an average player who looked decent when he had a high work rate. once he started to slack off at west ham, there was no talent there to cover for it. 8m for him is a reflection of the current inflated prices, if it was based on talent alone i think west ham would be lucky to get half that. Barton's miles better, Parker too. NRC will be a decent player for a mid table club nothing more.

Seems like alot of money but like you say, not an isolated occasion of paying over the odds.

For NRC and Aston Villa its make or break really, he has been kicked out of West Ham, if he fails at Villa thats it for him IMO, cant see Villa even recouping half the cost.

Could work well if they play 4-3-3, with Barry and Petrov. Agbonlahor, Carew and Young upfront, is pretty good stuff too.

Defence is fragile though and they are really lacking depth, like us needs alot of players coming inwards to swell the squad.

Guest justin99.

I don't think you can place much emphasis on the transfer fee.

What most people regard as a "fair price" has really gone up lately, and will continue to do so.

What, like Joey Barton? Another temperamental but promising midfielder with a dodgy rep?

Fact is that this summer there were three midfielders moving around at (very roughly) the same price - Barton, Parker and NRC. I said a while back I'd have been happy with Barton or NRC, they're both good players.

Reo-Coker was playing at an absolute basket case of a club last year, so it is very hard to judge him on that. He got a lot of stick from their fans, but then again, to be honest, a five minute glance at kumb will tell you all you need to know about West Ham fans. These are the same fans who told us that the reason Ashley Young chose Villa over West Ham (despite them apparently offering him something like 10k a week more) was that he had a major problem with the dressing room politics there, and that the main problem was NRC in particular. Something which clearly wasn't borne out during the U21 championship when you could tell they were obviously close (post match interviews, body language on the pitch etc)

Anyway, I'm just glad we've signed him. Apparently, SWP is currently choosing between us and them, too, so hopefully he'll come down on the side of the righteous as well. I really can't stand West Ham.

And yes, the fee is a little on the high side, but what's the point in having these billionaire owners if you don't get them to push the boat out every now and then?

You are giving NRC far too much credit to mention him in the same sentence as Barton IMHO, and i said the same before any of the 3 moved clubs, and nothing has changed.

He has a big chip on his shoulder ATM, and even when thats gone the talent is only worth about half of the money Villa have paid. I still think he's a good player in there, but he's a long way off Barton's standard, and right now out of the 3 clubs trading, NUFC got the best deal, and i honestly think WHU came in second by a country mile getting Parker in and NRC out for daft money.

here here. NRC's always struck me as an average player who looked decent when he had a high work rate. once he started to slack off at west ham, there was no talent there to cover for it. 8m for him is a reflection of the current inflated prices, if it was based on talent alone i think west ham would be lucky to get half that. Barton's miles better, Parker too. NRC will be a decent player for a mid table club nothing more.

my mind goes back to NRC when we played 'em at home and were as lucky as fuck to get a draw

as they went 2-0 up he embarrased our midfield as he simply had too much pace, drive and wrokrate for us to keep up with...basically he just kept driving into the space and causing mayhem

then someone (be nice to think it was roeder but i doubt it) obviously realised the amount of space he was leaving uncovered behind him so our midfield started to push into THAT space and we hurt west ham on number of occasions when his driving runs came to nothing

so, in a nutshell, i'd say he's not a million miles away from kieron dyer in some respects - has obvious attributes but VERY obvious deficiences that are too easy to exploit - if villa play him in a 442 they're fucked or will be if the opposition cotton on

we're better off with barton if he can stay away from murdering people and stuff

Not a chance is he worth anywhere near the £8m he is going for, i would rate him at £3m max, he was shocking at the under 21 championship and played very poorly for West Ham last year, good luck to Villa  :uglystupid2:

errr poor for West Ham...... ok, but played brilliantly for U21's. Did you actually watch the U21's ? 

Seems like alot of money but like you say, not an isolated occasion of paying over the odds.

For NRC and Aston Villa its make or break really, he has been kicked out of West Ham, if he fails at Villa thats it for him IMO, cant see Villa even recouping half the cost.

Could work well if they play 4-3-3, with Barry and Petrov. Agbonlahor, Carew and Young upfront, is pretty good stuff too.

Defence is fragile though and they are really lacking depth, like us needs alot of players coming inwards to swell the squad.

You're right about lacking depth, but to say the defence is fragile is wrong.

Only 5 teams conceded fewer goals than us last season - hardly that fragile, and if we can get a right back in, we're sorted. Our problem was at the other end of the pitch.

Can't agree, I'd have been much more worried if we'd bought Parker.

As for Barton ... as I said, I think he's a good player, but perhaps Dr Spectrum would shed some light on what he was like last season (as we're talking about NRC having a poor season last year).

;)

Not too sure on his bottle. 23-years old, captain of his country at Under 21 level, and he's 9th on the list of penalty-takers which he fluffs.

Not the sort of inspirational player you want is it? Don't think he's all that good a player either.

Not being a good penalty taker won't be a problem, we've got Gareth Barry to handle those. Seems a slightly harsh criticism of him, to be honest.

Put it this way - he's replacing Gavin McCann. If anyone can tell me that doesn't represent siginificant progress, I'll eat my hat. And yours.

Ha ha my £50 get safer by the week. :D

Not too sure on his bottle. 23-years old, captain of his country at Under 21 level, and he's 9th on the list of penalty-takers which he fluffs.

Not the sort of inspirational player you want is it? Don't think he's all that good a player either.

Not being a good penalty taker won't be a problem, we've got Gareth Barry to handle those. Seems a slightly harsh criticism of him, to be honest.

Put it this way - he's replacing Gavin McCann. If anyone can tell me that doesn't represent siginificant progress, I'll eat my hat. And yours.

Ha ha my £50 get safer by the week. :D

No chance.

Put a few quid aside every week then you won't feel the pain so much.

Guest Stephen927

Good signing for Villa.

He had a good first season with West Ham back in the Premiership, then just went off the boil and looked like he couldn't be arsed. He'll have something to prove at Villa, and is a huge improvement over Gavin McCann.

Good signing for Villa.

He had a good first season with West Ham back in the Premiership, then just went off the boil and looked like he couldn't be arsed. He'll have something to prove at Villa, and is a huge improvement over Gavin McCann.

Indeed.

He had a bad time last season, but seemed to carry the can for their whole team being awful. Anyway, this is the same fucked up club which played Bobby Zamora in preference to Tevez for large chunks of the season, and thought Mascherano wasn't up to snuff, so I really wouldn't read too much into that.

Guest Bramble OG

What put me off him was his interview after the man utd away game that kept WH up, He said alot of his mates were WH fans and he promised them he would keep them up..and ive done that for them :)