Roeder v Fat Sam

Guest TinoInHiding

It's not just a matter of biterness.

Fat Freddy never saw Roeder as the long-term manager at our club. Roeder was eyeing some cracking signings but he wasn't supported in the transfer market. That was our downfall last season, especially after the New Year window. I rated Roeder highly there were just two outstanding issues.

- 88th and 89th minutes substitutions when we were losing.

- Lack of formation manoeuvring

That comment is just about as funny as it gets.  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

Interesting thing about the Shearer comment, even if he wanted the job, would he get it? I mean, once Fred leaves there won't really be any connection between Shearer and the men behind the scenes.

well i do think roeder has a bit of a point- i mean hes obviously bitter but right in sayingthat we shd be in top 6, and that sam shouldnt have 5 years. however, he cant talk cos he was shite, and at least sam has actually made some signings and as a bonus- they are good!!! i think realistic aims for the future:

next season: comfortable top 10 with strong football in fa/league cups. europe a bonus

08/09: preserving our place in the top 10/ Europe and automaticaly qualifying for uefa cup. 6th?

09/10: again, keeping our 6th place position, going for 5th.

10/11: we need to be in the position spurs are in now- ready for a champions league fight.

11/12: champions league

anyone hu thinks we r gonna finish 5th or above next season has a screw loose imo.

It's not hard to see now why so many of the Newcastle squad had lost respect for Roeder by the end. When Alan Oliver trumpeted at the end of the 05-06 season that Shepeherd would never give Allardyce the manager's job, and what a fantastic job Roeder was doing, I doubt Roeder could have seen the tables being turned so far on their head.

Allardyce's appointment after Freddy's about-turn must be a bitter slap in the face for Roeder but he couldn't have handled it much worse tbh. If you don't have the authority to command respect as a manager, the worst thing you can do is start sniping at those who do.

Not just pathetic, but embarassing for all concerned at Newcastle.

always thought he was inept at his job, roeder. also hated the fact that he was the manager with the least charisma in the league, never mind the prem. now he's proved that he's also a bitter, negative pr*ck.

what he said about Allardyce just makes him look bad. if we were really such a good side as he seems to think, then must be the manager's fault that we've had such a sh*te season. what he said just goes to show the man is an idiot.

on the other subject, imo there is no reason why we can't compete for 6th or even 5th. not because we're already a good side, but because none of the other teams are much better. Spurs are a soft touch, Bolton will no longer be up there, Everton never seem able to put together 2 good seasons in a string, Reading will be weaker. if Big Sam instills a winning mentality to our bunch of underachievers, we will be up there fighting for the best of the rest mantle.

Guest Gemmill

It became apparent last season that the "Mr. Nice Guy" tag was bullshit, and that he was a bit of a snidey prick.  Stuff like this just further confirms it.

Guest Ridzuan

Well he can say whatever he wants but I think at the end of the day,he doesnt make the final decision.The only positive thing about his comments are that he say good things about us and the club,unlike Souness.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Agree with the comments about Roeder's image of being a canny bloke was crap, he has proved he is a slimey tw@t who is sitting on the sidelines hoping that Allardyce fails.

well i do think roeder has a bit of a point- i mean hes obviously bitter but right in sayingthat we shd be in top 6, and that sam shouldnt have 5 years. however, he cant talk cos he was s****, and at least sam has actually made some signings and as a bonus- they are good!!! i think realistic aims for the future:

next season: comfortable top 10 with strong football in fa/league cups. europe a bonus

08/09: preserving our place in the top 10/ Europe and automaticaly qualifying for uefa cup. 6th?

09/10: again, keeping our 6th place position, going for 5th.

10/11: we need to be in the position spurs are in now- ready for a champions league fight.

11/12: champions league

anyone hu thinks we r gonna finish 5th or above next season has a screw loose imo.

There is absolutely no reason for the progress you describe to take so long.

We aint gonna win the league this coming season - but league success should not take anything like as long as you describe!

In my opinion (Money available (ours earned and Ashleys) / Allardyce / existing players / our reputation) that is.

Pushing top 6, aiming for 5th, aiming for 4th, should be a 3, not a 5-year plan.

Agreed.

Also, in that third year we should at least "look like" we could challenge (even if its a flatter-to-deceive situation) for the title, as when SBR was here.

Season 4 onward, it should be "real", as when KK was here.

You don't spend £133M to sit on your ass . . . . . .

Some people's expectations, BEFORE big sam has even been in the home dugout at SJP for the first time, are outrageous to say the least.

The guy has come in, and very clearly made it obvious that through the takeover, and his own brand of management, a massive spring cleaning op is underway at a club that has been rotting away for years. When you're conducting an overhaul of everything from the training facilities and methods, to playing and backroom staff, it means a completely new start no matter which way you look at it.

I want Newcastle to win the league every single year!!! No one is happy with mid-table, top 10, or a UEFA spot, let alone 2nd place!! But the idea is that big sam is re-building everything from the bottom up. I personally am of the belief that the stronger our foundations, the more lasting our success will be. It's not a dead-on certainty that big sam will succeed in realising his visions for the club, but im 100% confident that he at least knows what he's doing, and will do his best to achieve far and beyond our own dreams and expectations as newcastle fans.

Roeder is bitter, deluded, sad.  He's still convinced he can turn it round with a bit of 'luck'.  I've no idea what he hopes to achieve but he just looks pathetic with comments like these.

He's a prat. Ever since the Boumsong comment (whether he was serious or not), my opinion of him changed completely.

Guest Gemmill

Some people's expectations, BEFORE big sam has even been in the home dugout at SJP for the first time, are outrageous to say the least.

The guy has come in, and very clearly made it obvious that through the takeover, and his own brand of management, a massive spring cleaning op is underway at a club that has been rotting away for years. When you're conducting an overhaul of everything from the training facilities and methods, to playing and backroom staff, it means a completely new start no matter which way you look at it.

I want Newcastle to win the league every single year!!! No one is happy with mid-table, top 10, or a UEFA spot, let alone 2nd place!! But the idea is that big sam is re-building everything from the bottom up. I personally am of the belief that the stronger our foundations, the more lasting our success will be. It's not a dead-on certainty that big sam will succeed in realising his visions for the club, but im 100% confident that he at least knows what he's doing, and will do his best to achieve far and beyond our own dreams and expectations as newcastle fans.

Aye I'm basically happy as long as I see solid foundations being built and a club moving in the right direction.  I think I'll defer the "I'll judge him on what I see on the pitch" stuff until he's had a while at the club too.  There's a lot more than what's on the pitch needs sorting at NUFC and as long as we see progress in other areas, the progress on the pitch will follow.

Aye I'm basically happy as long as I see solid foundations being built and a club moving in the right direction.  I think I'll defer the "I'll judge him on what I see on the pitch" stuff until he's had a while at the club too.  There's a lot more than what's on the pitch needs sorting at NUFC and as long as we see progress in other areas, the progress on the pitch will follow.

I get the feeling that those saying Sam MUST succeed immediately are secretly dreading that given time he will succeed. In Roeder's case that's definitely the case.

Guest redmayne

i dont remember it meaning 5 years for a top 6 finish

i thought SA meant 5 years for a solid successful team challenging cups and hopefully champions league spots if not the title - consistently - building our shattered reputation again

roeder is a fucking cunt who cant understand an article never mind football itself...

twat

It became apparent last season that the "Mr. Nice Guy" tag was bullshit, and that he was a bit of a snidey prick.  Stuff like this just further confirms it.

Agree 100%. Roedent was not only useless but a dickhead masquerading as twat as well

Just curios on the bold bit, "He's already been able to strengthen the squad in a way that wasn't available to me, so I'm not sure quite what else he needs to get them into the top six.". What does Glenn mean actually? That Big Sam has more transfer money available to him, or that Fat Fred refused to countenance the possibiityof signing many players at once?

Dignified silence? You're having a laugh!

Well that dignified silence didn't last long did it?

Just weeks after resigning from Newcastle United after a woeful run of form, Glenn Roeder has come out of the woodwork to slam Sam Allardyce - before a ball has even been kicked.

Glenn did well to lead United away from relegation and into Europe but we all know what happened after that.

This has sour grapes written all over it and any respect the Geordie public did have left for GR must surely be in question today after what can only be described as a stupid and pointless attack on Big Sam.

Roeder says: "It's a sad excuse for Sam to ask the fans to be patient while he builds the team for the next five years.

"I think the supporters of Newcastle United will be angry at being asked to be patient. All they have ever done is show patience.

"The current squad finished last season well enough to be playing in Europe this season. Without so many injuries, we would have qualified again for Europe."

What? We played well enough to be play in Europe? Where? Reading? Portsmouth? Alkmaar? Charlton? Fulham? Wigan? Everton? Bolton?

Or was it at home to Man City? Boro? Blackburn? Sheff United? Charlton?

The astonishing interview goes on to say that Big Sam should be in Europe by the end of next season.

Well we hope he is.

But surely the new boss is just having a sensible approach to the job.

In some ways it's good to hear when managers say, why shouldn't we be challenging for titles?

But the best thing is surely to let Allardyce get on with his job and judge him in stages.

He knows the score anyway, he's a tough guy who fights his corner and takes stick on the chin.

And for Roeder to make judgements on July 4, is simply a disgrace, no matter how he feels about how his stint in charge ended.

His rant continues: "Big Sam says he's aiming for a top-six finish in five years, but they should be finishing in the top six next season without any problems.

"He's already been able to strengthen the squad in a way that wasn't available to me, so I'm not sure quite what else he needs to get them into the top six.

"The world and his wife could see that Newcastle needed to strengthen its defence last season, now Sam has got those funds to do that and he should be grateful for them.

"Instead, he's making his excuses before a ball has even been kicked. The truth is that he hasn't got any excuses for not finishing in the top six.

"He's made criticisms of panic buys at the club but I'll stand by my record on that. Obafemi Martins was an outstanding success, Antoine Sibierski was the best free transfer of the season and the fans will see the best of Damien Duff when he recovers from injury.

Worse still, Roeder brings in Alan Shearer into the argument, who Allardyce is already said to have a good relationship with.

And had Shearer's name been thrown into the pot when Glenn was in charge, surely he would have been the first to complain?

"The other problem Sam has is that he and every other new manager will live under the shadow of Alan Shearer, who is the fans' favourite son and rightly so," Roeder said.

"Shearer will not wait for ever to manage the club. He was supportive of me last year and he could see that a rebuilding job had to be done.

"There will come a time when he will want to manage the club, and in those circumstances Sam can ask for five years - but I don't think he'll get that long.

"He is trying to buy himself some time before a ball has even been kicked. Sam should just be grateful for what he has got.

"The players he has got and the ones he has added should guarantee the club European football straightaway."

In many ways Roeder does not come out of this interview looking good.

I think most fans appreciated he had little money to spend and that he had the worst injury crisis to deal with in the club's history.

But now, how do you feel?

Roeder only sold Boumsong I think for £3.5m. He brought in Martins & Duff for £15m.

Allardyce has spent a net £2m or so.

Roeder is a prat.

Guest colossal insight

What a daft twat (Roeder that is). It is noticeable that the few (well two) succesful managers we've had in recent times, in Robson and Keegan never got involved in slagging off their succesors whereas the abject failures like souness and roeder cant seem to help themselves. Roeder seems to be the only person alive who doesn't realise that he cant manage a football club and is under the delusion that he has been 'unlucky' again. Am pleased he wasn't as unlucky at newcastle as he was at west ham when he got them relegated.

Its a shame really because up until now he always had a fair amount of goodwill from the supporters and now people will just see him as a clueless, sniping gobshite. From what I've seen so far Allardyce is a doer whereas Roeder didn't know where to start.

Anyway, **** him, he's history. A sad little footnote in the history of the club.

Guest Invicta_Toon

seems to me he's just moaning that when he was manager, Viduka wasn't in his last year and Barton wasn't about to be sacked

hardly a glowing reference for either manager

oh, and probably an attack on not having to deal with a board of dickheads who prevented him from doing god knows what