Sam Targets Glory In Cup

Kev

The chronicle today said: SAM TARGETS GLORY IN CU

Sam targets glory in the Cup

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

SAM ALLARDYCE has identified the Carling Cup as Newcastle United’s most realistic chance of silverware in his first season in charge at St James’ Park as he looks to end the 38-year wait for a trophy.

Previous Toon bosses have often come under fire for taking the League Cup too lightly after some desperately disappointing exits in recent years, but Big Sam is keen for change.

Graeme Souness could only watch with embarrassment as United crashed out to Wigan reserves in the early stages of the cup in 2005, while even Sir Bobby Robson suffered a shock at the hands of West Brom at Gallowgate in 2003.

And although United battled to the quarter-finals last term before bowing out to eventual winners Chelsea, challenging for the trophy in the latter stages is the least the Toon Army expect in what they see as a winnable competition.

Allardyce revealed his plan for silverware at Newcastle and said: “At this club the priority is the Carling and FA Cup as well as finishing as high as we can in the Premiership.

“Hopefully, we’ll have the squad to do it.

“We have no distractions of Europe this year, so it means we can go all guns blazing in the Carling and FA Cups.

“And for me they are the shortest route to European qualification. If you win the Carling Cup, you are in Europe.

“Of course we want to finish as high as we can, but to get a cup means a UEFA Cup place, which is very important here. In years gone by people have dismissed the Carling Cup too easily.

“I have been accused of that in the past at Bolton – but my agenda at Bolton was different to here.

“I had to keep Bolton in the Premier League and doing what the board of directors instruct you to do is the most important thing.

“Priorities have to come into play.

“If you have a small squad that you know will find life difficult in the Premiership, then you can ill afford to go into the cups with all guns blazing.”

Yet times have now changed for Allardyce at Newcastle – not to mention expectation levels.

And despite this week’s criticism from Glenn Roeder to his plea for patience, Allardyce made his intentions crystal clear.

He added: “I would like to win something because I know how much it would mean to the United fans.

“I know how long it has been since they won anything, and I am exactly the same.

“I came into the game in 1969 and never won a major trophy as a player or up until now as a manager.

“But I would love to do that as soon as possible.”

Despite Big Sam’s insistence that survival in the Premiership was his top priority at Bolton, it still didn’t stop him leading the Trotters into Europe twice during his stint at the Reebok.

And they came painfully close to getting their hands on the Carling Cup in Cardiff when they lost 2-1 to Middlesbrough in the final in 2004.

Reflecting on his agony of coming so near glory, he said: “It was one of the worst days of my life. It was the best chance of winning a trophy for any club in a final when you look at the way the teams were balanced.

“It was a great experience getting there, but the only thing I really enjoyed was having my grandson as mascot.

“The experience of losing in a final was bad, but going to the final is something I would like to do again – and this time make sure we win it.

“At Bolton somewhere along the line there had to be a sacrificial lamb, and that was the early stages of the cups.

“Now because of the emergence of Chelsea, it has rekindled the interest of the Carling Cup.

“Everyone wants to win it, but most people want to stay in the Premiership.”

Link

The chronicle today said: SAM TARGETS GLORY IN CUP

Hes identified the carling cup as United's most realistic chance of silverware in his first season as manager

"At this club the priority is the carling cup and FA cup and to finish as high as possible in league.

hopefully we'll have the squad to do it"

"we arnt in europe this year so there will be no distractions, so we can go all guns blazing at the carling and fa cup"

"if you win the cup, you are in europe"

"of course we want to finish high in the league to get a UEFA cup spot, which is very importent at this club, i would like to win something here because i know what it would meen to the fans. i know they havnt won anything in a long time and its the same for me"

Mate, you do know you can C+P it?

Rather see the reserves played in the FA Cup tbh. I love the FA Cup, but we haven't got a cat in hell's chance of getting anywhere near it. Not saying i want us to play weak teams, just that i'd rather it be in the FAC if any.

However, it sounds like Allardyce won't do so in either.

Guest Dr. Pongle

all we need to do is avoid Man Utd as i think we cant beat them much!! we have a chance against chelsea liverpool and arsenal so if we avoid Man Utd then we might actually get somewhere in something! i just want to reach the final for Wembley and my first cup final

Were you interviewed out SJP when we signed Owen by any chance?

The cups are total luck though. We could get home ties the whole way and stroll through, or draw Man Utd or Chelsea in the First Round and we're f*cked. (and considering that over the last three years in 4 of the 6 domestic cups, we've been knocked out by Chelsea (3 times), and Man Utd) then it'd be just our luck.

Rather see the reserves played in the FA Cup tbh. I love the FA Cup, but we haven't got a cat in hell's chance of getting anywhere near it. Not saying i want us to play weak teams, just that i'd rather it be in the FAC if any.

If you look at the finalists over the past 10 or so years, the FA Cup final has involved teams like West Ham, Millwall, Southampton, Aston Villa and us and although none of those teams actually won the trophy, they could have if the big guns were having a bad day (West Ham came so close to winning it).

Fact is, if you're lucky in the draws, you could easily end up at the final.

personally i dont give a monkeys arse anymore about domestic cup glory.  I find the uefa cup runouts farmore enthraling.

if we get lucky in uefa cup, we could more easily win that....meaning:  the season we exited with souness, there were not many really top quality teams left in it.

Sine they added the champ lge droput clubs its rather more of a lotto to win it.  Maybe it makes it more worthwhile competition, but the prize money doesnt reflect this!!!

All depends on the team we assemble between now and September.

In recent years we've often given Chelsea and Arsenal a game, but we've struggled against Man Utd and Liverpool. To have a chance of winning the FA Cup we'd need to meet the right teams and turn up on the day, but if we got an 'easier' run of teams to the semis (entirely possible) then anything can happen.

I actually think it's a good thing we're not in Europe this season. I don't think the UEFA Cup has the player pulling power people are making out and we can focus our energy on the domestic cups and most importantly, the league.

Guest firetotheworks

I remember the Chelsea Villa final was utter dross. The real final was whoever won between us and chelsea. The thing that pissed me off was that one of their goals was from a free kick which was a rolling ball. I remember the commentator saying 'it was a rolling ball, but it made no difference'....eh I think it did like, they scored a bastard goal from it when the ref could have made them take it again. :rant:. Purely the luck of the draw in the FA Cup like. Weve battled Chelsea a few times over the years but they generally beat us, even pre abramovich.

I remember the Chelsea Villa final was utter dross. The real final was whoever won between us and chelsea. The thing that pissed me off was that one of their goals was from a free kick which was a rolling ball. I remember the commentator saying 'it was a rolling ball, but it made no difference'....eh I think it did like, they scored a b****** goal from it when the ref could have made them take it again. :rant:. Purely the luck of the draw in the FA Cup like. Weve battled Chelsea a few times over the years but they generally beat us, even pre abramovich.

Are you on about when Drogba moved the free-kick from a crossing position into a shooting position and then curled it into the top corner to put us out of the cup. I was more annoyed that our own players just let him to do it than anything else, we had more than matched them the whole game.

I remember the Chelsea Villa final was utter dross. The real final was whoever won between us and chelsea. The thing that pissed me off was that one of their goals was from a free kick which was a rolling ball. I remember the commentator saying 'it was a rolling ball, but it made no difference'....eh I think it did like, they scored a b****** goal from it when the ref could have made them take it again. :rant:. Purely the luck of the draw in the FA Cup like. Weve battled Chelsea a few times over the years but they generally beat us, even pre abramovich.

Are you on about when Drogba moved the free-kick from a crossing position into a shooting position and then curled it into the top corner to put us out of the cup. I was more annoyed that our own players just let him to do it than anything else, we had more than matched them the whole game.

I thought he meant the semi when Sir Bobby took us to Wembley.

Guest firetotheworks

No I mean the one at Wembley in 2000 when we lost 2-1. Dennis Wise (the eternal c***) was adjudged to have been fouled and the ball rolled away and he got up and passed it while it was rolling and they scored. Its a little thing but it annoyed me. Same with the Drogba one as well like.

Guest brewer

i still think that something is going on in the draws

because Man Utd Chelsea Liverpool Arsenal never meet eachother

some do but when there is 2 teams out of them left in the semis

they never meet so that they want 2 big clubs in the final

is this true?

In 2004 Arsenal met Man U in the semis while Millwall played Sunderland.

In 06 Chelsea played Liverpool in the semi while West Ham played Bolton.

Well doubt we are going to win league so all left is the cups!!We have normally done well in the cups just fell at the final hurdle!I think we have a great chance this season as we arent in europe.To be honest just wanna win something,its being along time since 1969!

If we played our full strength team in the Carling Cup like we did with Roeder, and got a Chelsea or an Arsenal in the early rounds, we'd have every chance of winning it. You could say that for every year, i mean even i said it under Glenn, but it's a more realistic prospect this time. The Carling Cup really is very open. Unfortunately, Tottenham, Villa, Everton, Boro and whatnot could all say the same thing.

Main point is though that it's so open. Any Premiership team can get to the final in all honesty.

Guest Moe-Ali

If you look at the finalists over the past 10 or so years, the FA Cup final has involved teams like West Ham, Millwall, Southampton, Aston Villa and us and although none of those teams actually won the trophy, they could have if the big guns were having a bad day (West Ham came so close to winning it).

Fact is, if you're lucky in the draws, you could easily end up at the final.

Top post.

I'm glad he's thinking like this, especially for the CC. Its our Europe this season, and for the 1st half only that competition and the league is all we play in, as long as we get a nice run and not Chelsea away in the 3rd round or something equally as tough as per usual, then there is no reason we can't get to the final of this competition.

Guest WalkervilleMag

dont think Chelsea will be going all guns in it this season.  Think it cost them slightly last season trying to go for 4 trophys.

dont think Chelsea will be going all guns in it this season.  Think it cost them slightly last season trying to go for 4 trophys.

They have more depth this time around with signings like Ben Haim, Sidwell and Pizarro, who will surely play in the Carling Cup games. That's why it's better if a decent team meets Chelsea in the earlier rounds while they're giving their 'weaker' players like Cudicini, Boulahrouz, Diarra, Ben Haim, Sidwell, Wright-Phillips, Pizarro etc a runout, because when they line up like that, espescially away from home, they are beatable. Get them in the semis or the final and they'll put out all the big guns and it becomes a lot tougher.

For us it's a case of consistently getting home draws because at home we can beat anyone. I actually think we might benefit by meeting one or two of the big teams at home in the earlier rounds where we'll be more up for it and can use our home advantage.

Guest WalkervilleMag

should of beat them last season, but put in a lame performance,  and Given made a blunder for the goal imho