Nicky Shorey

Skirge

Maybe Sam wants a seasoned pro at left back rather than a young prospect?

Is Shorey a "seasoned pro"?

One season in the Premiership at a club with low expectations. Baines already has more Prem experience.

One of the best left backs in the league last year or one of the worst. I know who I'd rather have.

Baines may improve but Shorey has been improving his whole career and is now on the verge of the England squad.

Baines may improve but Shorey has been improving his whole career and is now on the verge of the England squad.

I don't think he is. Bridge and Cole are miles ahead of him, he'll never be picked ahead of those two and there'll be others such as Baines competing for third place.

Baines was actually Wigan's only decent player last season and given his age he'll be more worthy of the price we'll have to pay than Shorey. In Baines' case your paying for his age, the fact he's English, in Shorey's case your paying mostly for his England cap.

I think a lot depends on the type of LB you are looking for. Some like the small, speedy types who are great at getting forward. Big Sam seems to prefer solid defenders who can defend the far post and don't get caught too far out of position. I've seen plenty of the former at Newcastle, very few of the latter.

I wish people would stop bringing up Michael Gray and using that as evidence that a left back will never come from the lower leagues and have more than 1 good season ever again.

I don't get why everyone thinks you must have perfect symmetry between your full backs. Neville and Evra are totally different, look at Cole and Ferreira, Finnan and Riise etc.

Besides, the only full back Big Sam has signed has been a small attacking player called Geremi. Mourinho once said he wanted tall full backs and then signed Ashley Cole a few weeks later and gave tiny players like Geremi and Diarra games at right back. At the end of the day, having height in that position is a bonus, not a pre-requisite. It means they can help out defending the box from crosses. Neither Shorey or Baines are really that good at that anyway so they share that weakness.

You don't have to be tall in particular to defend the far post. Obviously it helps if you aren't 5'6" but you do need good positional sense and the tenacity to pick up late runs. Too many Newcastle LB's look great going forward but usually go missing when the ball is crossed to the far post and whoever we sign shouldn't be prone to that weakness.

You don't have to be tall in particular to defend the far post. Obviously it helps if you aren't 5'6" but you do need good positional sense and the tenacity to pick up late runs. Too many Newcastle LB's look great going forward but usually go missing when the ball is crossed to the far post and whoever we sign shouldn't be prone to that weakness.

I agree on that, but I don't think either Shorey or Baines fit the bill. All full backs are going to have their weaknesses, I think Baines will get better and better whereas Shorey is an at an age where he probably won't.

I agree on that, but I don't think either Shorey or Baines fit the bill.

In that case I wouldn't sign either.

£6m for Bridge. Take it or leave it; he's worth that.

Bridge is going to miss the start of the season with an injury... therefore I can't see Sam going for him tbh.

I'd go for him anyway. He might miss a bit but it's not like he'd miss four months, is getting on, is Brazilian, and probably won't adapt to this league...

If we're serious about buying a left-back (would be a nice change) then we should go for Bridge.

£6m for Bridge. Take it or leave it; he's worth that.

Chelsea don't need the money. Given Cole's injuries/form they won't want to sell, so even if we offered double figures I don't think we'll get anywhere.

Always worth a try, but it's high time we start looking at other targets with the season starting in a few weeks. There don't seem to be many names that spring to mind, hopefully our scouts have been out and about looking for one  :undecided:

Guest Invicta_Toon

He has still not signed a new deal, this kid is hanging on for offers, we need to get right in there no  messing about, meet the fee sign the lad!!

"People will always speculate," insisted Shorey. "It's nothing but paper talk."

"I haven't received an offer but then all offers go through the club.

"Obviously it's nice to hear other clubs are interested because it shows you must be doing something right.

"We'll see what happens and I don't want to say one thing or the other. Things can happen out of the blue. You never know what will happen from one minute to the next in football. We'll just see how it goes."

was that a quote from Nickey Shorey or Micheal Owen?

He has still not signed a new deal, this kid is hanging on for offers, we need to get right in there no  messing about, meet the fee sign the lad!!

"People will always speculate," insisted Shorey. "It's nothing but paper talk."

"I haven't received an offer but then all offers go through the club.

"Obviously it's nice to hear other clubs are interested because it shows you must be doing something right.

"We'll see what happens and I don't want to say one thing or the other. Things can happen out of the blue. You never know what will happen from one minute to the next in football. We'll just see how it goes."

was that a quote from Nickey Shorey or Micheal Owen?

Sounds very much the same dunnit.

I'd be happy with either Shorey or Baines, but the Baines thing has been nipped on its head so I dont see why we're still talking about him.

Shorey impressed last year, and still looks capable of improvement.

He's a more defensive player than Baines IMO, which is probably a good thing to compliment Geremi.

I think our right fullback can afford to be more attacking due to the cover he can receive from hard workers like milner/Solano in midfield, but I'd say we need to err on the defensive side with any left backs we sign due to the attacking nature of NZogbia/Duff/Luque and their need for freedom to bomb forward.

Guest frazer

Got a tad confused reading this thread. I believed that Shorey must be in his 30's as his value was being ascribed to his England cap. He is only 26, with years ahead of him. From what I have seen - I know only one season with the bigs boys - he has been class, confident in possession and good positionally. I think he would be a great signing.

I'd be happy with Shorey or Baines - both are better than we have at the moment. Bridge is not going to happen, even though I would take him over the other 2.

Both Shorey and Baines had good seasons, but I still wouldn't know who is the more consistent.