Luke Young - £2.7m?

Leazes1986
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mediocre, but like the Quedrue situation, if we've got no more than £2.7m as a maximum budget for a right-back, then we could do a lot worse.

Begging for us to sort the full-back situation with proper ones, but it's becoming more and more obvious that we don't have a big budget, for me, and these two would do.

We need a right back. Solano can't be expected to play every game, and anyone who expects Carr to play Premiership football is an idiot.

Reckon we'll probably see Geremi as the official right-back. Solano will be in and out so Young will be in there for squad depth, rather than a starting place. And for a second choice right-back, Young at £2.7m is good business.

Luke Young at that kind of money would represent an excellent signing.

As a fan of a club which currently has no fit right back (Delaney is an excellent player but perma-injured), I would be very, very happy if we were to spend that kind of money to acquire Young. I suspect the same factors go for you - even if viewed as back up or squad depth, 2.7m is peanuts.

Summed my thoughts up on the situation in another thread:

If Sam's midset is...

Right-back: "Sign Geremi for the starting role, pick up Young on the cheap for squad depth."

Left-back: "Sign PlayerX for the starting role, pick up Quedrue on the cheap for squad depth."

... i like his thinking.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

I'd pay that for him. Not that we really need a right back, its the other side that we need to focus on.

Um, Steven Carr.

We bloody well need a right-back.

I'd pay that for him. Not that we really need a right back, its the other side that we need to focus on.

Um, Steven Carr.

Um, Geremi and Nobby Solano.

A right-back would be useful. A left-back is vital.

Summed my thoughts up on the situation in another thread:

If Sam's midset is...

Right-back: "Sign Geremi for the starting role, pick up Young on the cheap for squad depth."

Left-back: "Sign PlayerX for the starting role, pick up Quedrue on the cheap for squad depth."

... i like his thinking.

We're not a big enough club to attract these players as back up, we're not Chelsea. They can get regular Prem football elsewhere and they're 28, supposedly around their peak age. The only time players agree to that is if they're paid a fortune or there's silverware in it for them. What are we going to say to them? "Come to Newcastle, you won't win any trophies or play in Europe and we won't pay you a fortune, but you might get a game if Geremi gets injured". No chance IMO.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Um, Steven Carr.

Err, Geremi and Nobby aren't right-backs.

If we want to compete in Europe we're going to need a right-back.

Um, Steven Carr.

Why have you got him as a right back in your sig then? :D

Guest 22bnw

Luke Young is a good player, wouldn't complain at all.

Every Charlton player looks mediocre, with a decent squad and coaching staff around him Young would do fine.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Um, Steven Carr.

Why have you got him as a right back in your sig then? :D

Because he is better than Carr.

Notice the Beye in brackets, (Beye is a right-back).

Guest zerocipher

When will people stop referring to Nobby as one of our RB's? He is a midfielder that did a damn good job covering when we were in dire need. FFS, lets get some actual defenders in for our defense.