Where's The Beef?

Tsunami

What's really going on? The early excitement of the takeover is becoming increasingly replaced with thoughts of what are we doing & where is the cash?

The colds facts at the moment are that we have a net spend of less than 2M, having activated 1 players get out clause & a comparative small amount on a defender. We have also captured 2 out of contract players. We have also failed to attract another free agent (Ben Haim) and have been rebuffed by Beye, Heinze & possibly others that we do not know about.

Other clubs are striding ahead of us in this preseason market. Some of the money may be stupid but they are spending it. Look around at the transfers that have happened and the squad building that the lesser clubs are doing.

Sam made it clear that he wants a new defence. So far we have released more defenders than we have brought in; although it seems that Geremi will be used as a right back. We still need another RB, 2LB's & at least 1 more central defender & another central midfield player. We haven't got much time to get these in & make them into a defensive unit ready for the start of the season. If either Martins or Owen leaves we have further holes to plug.

There has been talk of Edmilson, Duscher, Deco, Gudjohnsen, Bridge, Young et al. Much of this talk is little more than hyperbole created by the press with little else to talk about.

I have still got my rose tainted specs on at the moment & I believe that Sam is doing all that he can but I am a little concerned. This latest episode with Duscher is almost comical & does nothing but raise questions.

Where is the cash?

Why can't we get the players we want?

I don't think we'll be getting 2 LB's. Sam may have decided Babayaro is worth another go, and getting one more LB in gives competition for places.

If come the end of July the situation is the same as now we have a right to be concerned.

However, all said and done I'd stake everything I own that the team is going to perform a lot better next season purely down to the new regime. If Europe is achieved, and I believe it is achievable, then we will see what the score is in respect of Ashleys ambitions.

Guest Gemmill

What's really going on? The early excitement of the takeover is becoming increasingly replaced with thoughts of what are we doing & where is the cash?

The colds facts at the moment are that we have a net spend of less than 2M, having activated 1 players get out clause & a comparative small amount on a defender. We have also captured 2 out of contract players. We have also failed to attract another free agent (Ben Haim) and have been rebuffed by Beye, Heinze & possibly others that we do not know about.

Other clubs are striding ahead of us in this preseason market. Some of the money may be stupid but they are spending it. Look around at the transfers that have happened and the squad building that the lesser clubs are doing.

Sam made it clear that he wants a new defence. So far we have released more defenders than we have brought in; although it seems that Geremi will be used as a right back. We still need another RB, 2LB's & at least 1 more central defender & another central midfield player. We haven't got much time to get these in & make them into a defensive unit ready for the start of the season. If either Martins or Owen leaves we have further holes to plug.

There has been talk of Edmilson, Duscher, Deco, Gudjohnsen, Bridge, Young et al. Much of this talk is little more than hyperbole created by the press with little else to talk about.

I have still got my rose tainted specs on at the moment & I believe that Sam is doing all that he can but I am a little concerned. This latest episode with Duscher is almost comical & does nothing but raise questions.

Where is the cash?

What the fuck? :lol:  It's July, we've made a few signings, and I'm sure there are more on the way.  We aren't Chelsea though, and this isn't FM07 - Sam doesn't get to press a "Make offer for player" button.  I don't want to come over all Glenn Roeder, but signings can take a while.  Chill out.

The teams that are "striding ahead of us" were already a mile ahead of us.

I agree in a fashion, we are supposed to have money to spend so if we do then why is Sam still going after medioca players. Geremi will be a good squad player but surly not as a first choice player.

Same with Viduka i my opinion and Queudrue, will have to wautr and see what Rozehnal is like though.

I know its still early in the window but chase quality first, then the squad players.

Where is the cash?

What the f***? :lol:  It's July, we've made a few signings, and I'm sure there are more on the way.  We aren't Chelsea though, and this isn't FM07 - Sam doesn't get to press a "Make offer for player" button.  I don't want to come over all Glenn Roeder, but signings can take a while.  Chill out.

Can understand the feelings of frustration though!  Particularly in relation to the teams 'striding ahead of us', that you refer to Gemmill, as these are exactly the teams we need to be 'catching up to in the transfer market' (not letting them stay as far ahead as they were, or get even further ahead).

We need to chill though  -  remember, it is still only mid-July!

Although we haven't spent much so far, how many of the players that the likes of Portsmouth, Fulham, Spurs, West Ham signed this summer have we been left thinking, "F*ck, I wish we'd been in for him". Not many I'd guess.

Yeah, all signings so far are people we don't want or couldn't get.

Where is the cash?

What the f***? :lol:  It's July, we've made a few signings, and I'm sure there are more on the way.  We aren't Chelsea though, and this isn't FM07 - Sam doesn't get to press a "Make offer for player" button.  I don't want to come over all Glenn Roeder, but signings can take a while.  Chill out.

Can understand the feelings of frustration though!  Particularly in relation to the teams 'striding ahead of us', that you refer to Gemmill, as these are exactly the teams we need to be 'catching up to in the transfer market' (not letting them stay as far ahead as they were, or get even further ahead).

We need to chill though  -  remember, it is still only mid-July!

I am trying to be chill about this; but do not want to be frozen out. We are doing neither nowt or something at the moment. For whatever reason we seemed to have stalled in the bringing in new players game & with a whole new defence (hopefully) to knit together we really do not have much time to get this ready.

We should be raising our expectation. People on here were prepared for Duscher to be given a trial, think that Luque could come good or that Baba may do ok. IMO this is all nonsense. Sam came in & got rid of the players whose contracts were up & he didn't want yet we are struggling to back fill nevermind improve things.

I sincerely hope that he is trying to get hold of MA & ask him where the cash is. We do not need to be in a position at the start of August where we are asking the same questions.

Jesus wept! We have signed 3 players who have vastly improved our team and Rozehnal seems to be the kind of defender we have been missing. I think people would be a lot more happy if we had gone out and spent £30m on 4 players though, even if they were of the same quality.

Jesus wept! We have signed 3 players who have vastly improved our team and Rozehnal seems to be the kind of defender we have been missing. I think people would be a lot more happy if we had gone out and spent £30m on 4 players though, even if they were of the same quality.

Do you really think that the team is vastly improved? I don't see vast improvement. 4 players of their quality wouldn't cost 30M; it would however show that the money was there.

If people are happy with the current position then that shows how low expectations are. If people genuinely feel that we will be top 6 with the current squad then they are in cloud cuckoo land.

Look at our defense to see why.

Guest optimistic nit

Skirge: Geremi would be first choice for any team outside top 4 imo.

"Other clubs are striding ahead of us in this preseason market. Some of the money may be stupid but they are spending it. Look around at the transfers that have happened and the squad building that the lesser clubs are doing."

who are these clubs exactly? the only clubs i can think of as going forward since last season are Liverpool, Manure and Spurs.

what have the rest done? City spend 8.8 million on a striker who is only partially ratable, Villa now only have one fullback, Pompey have made a bit of progress with distain, but not  much overall, reading lost sidwell, and haven't replaced him, everton have done fucking nowt iirc. All the clubs that were ahead of us apart from the 3 mentioned have either stayed still or gone backwards, and the clubs behind us have been forced to spend 5-7million on championship players.

Guest optimistic nit

Do you really think that the team is vastly improved? I don't see vast improvement. 4 players of their quality wouldn't cost 30M; it would however show that the money was there.

If people are happy with the current position then that shows how low expectations are. If people genuinely feel that we will be top 6 with the current squad then they are in cloud cuckoo land.

fucking get a grip, were only 10 days into the transfer window :lol: and don't give me the "i'm only saying bullshit" because you don't need to say. OTT to the max, chill out as gemmill says, in 3 weeks, and we still have the same back 4 then get concerned, but until then.

I'm perfectly happy for sam to spend nowt atm, if players like chopra, kamera, koumas and nugent are going for absolutely otherworldly soms compared to their limited ability.

Viduka is much better than Sibierski and from the looks of it will go straight into the first team. Barton is better than any player we have at centre mid and Geremi will probably be an improvement on Solano at right back and is a very good squad player. How do you not see a vast improvement?

"Other clubs are striding ahead of us in this preseason market. Some of the money may be stupid but they are spending it. Look around at the transfers that have happened and the squad building that the lesser clubs are doing."

who are these clubs exactly? the only clubs i can think of as going forward since last season are Liverpool, Manure and Spurs.

what have the rest done? City spend 8.8 million on a striker who is only partially ratable, Villa now only have one fullback, Pompey have made a bit of progress with distain, but not  much overall, reading lost sidwell, and haven't replaced him, everton have done f****** nowt iirc. All the clubs that were ahead of us apart from the 3 mentioned have either stayed still or gone backwards, and the clubs behind us have been forced to spend 5-7million on championship players.

In addition to those mentioned West Ham are trying to buy quality, Fulham & others are squad building. In terms of net spend we are close to the bottom.

We have been taken over by a billionaire who wants us to be world force in a couple of years. We are currently comparing ourselves to the buying power of Bolton, Reading & Everton.

MA/ Sam may be keeping their cards close to their chests but the trickle of news that is coming out after the initial rush isn't exactly fantastic in our efforts to get players in. I don't think that Sam has made break throughs with many of his first choice defensive targets or they would be here by now. The fact that the likes of Queudrue are being mentioned is not good news. They may be better but we are talking margins not strides.

Guest optimistic nit

what have the rest done? City spend 8.8 million on a striker who is only partially ratable, Villa now only have one fullback, Pompey have made a bit of progress with distain, but not  much overall, reading lost sidwell, and haven't replaced him, everton have done f****** nowt iirc. All the clubs that were ahead of us apart from the 3 mentioned have either stayed still or gone backwards, and the clubs behind us have been forced to spend 5-7million on championship players.

In addition to those mentioned West Ham are trying to buy quality, Fulham & others are squad building. In terms of net spend we are close to the bottom.

We have been taken over by a billionaire who wants us to be world force in a couple of years. We are currently comparing ourselves to the buying power of Bolton, Reading & Everton.

MA/ Sam may be keeping their cards close to their chests but the trickle of news that is coming out after the initial rush isn't exactly fantastic in our efforts to get players in. I don't think that Sam has made break throughs with many of his first choice defensive targets or they would be here by now. The fact that the likes of Queudrue are being mentioned is not good news. They may be better but we are talking margins not strides.

West ham are offering mediocure players 100K a week, and they have lost reo coker and benayoun and will lose tevez. they will be worse than last season, although they will finish higher. i'd rather we stopped using the old pay them 200K a week tactic we used under roeder and souness. West ham are not buying "quality" their trying to buy any rated player who could possibly go to them.

Fulham are spending yes, but their buying shite. Kamera for 6million. Joke of a fee imo.

Look how overpriced some players are atm. i'd rather sam took longer if he was to find players who aren't asking for thrice their value.

I think what most fans want is a "trophy signing" and then we will be happy, i feel what we need more is a squad that works. dont worry about ashley he has the money over the past 3 weeks he has bought large shares in different companys he has the money and im sure he wants to use it, but not just to but a player that will draw fans but offer no outcome.

would you pick

A) roberto carlos (even tho he has just been bought)

or

b) baines and luke young

i would rather have b as they offer a larger squad and more prospect for the future.

Methinks Tsunami is missing his annual trophy signings. :razz:

Not that interested in them Gemmill. I want a defense. I would have loved us to have gone after Woodgate, may be a bit of a risk at 7M but surely well worth the gamble?

I have seen the views that Baines is too small but I'd also take him; I'd love Bridge but that aint going to happen. Luke Young/ Shorey? Not sure, better than what we have but not top drawer.

There's 5 players (not a trophy player in sight) & we have signed a untility man to play at RB.

Guest elbee909

The days of continually announcing we might be going for Rivaldo are also over, bear that in mind.  Most likely progress is being made, you just can't wish for someone who'd take more care without them also taking a bit more time.

Methinks Tsunami is missing his annual trophy signings. :razz:

Not that interested in them Gemmill. I want a defense. I would have loved us to have gone after Woodgate, may be a bit of a risk at 7M but surely well worth the gamble?

I have seen the views that Baines is too small but I'd also take him; I'd love Bridge but that aint going to happen. Luke Young/ Shorey? Not sure, better than what we have but not top drawer.

There's 5 players (not a trophy player in sight) & we have signed a untility man to play at RB.

Shit you are right and the fucking season starts tomorrow  :frantic:

Oh wait, it doesn't does it? My mistake.

So far Sam Allardyce is doing the job I though he would when Shepherd brought him in. Mike Ashley's take over doesn't seem to have had an effect in our transfers yet i.e. no big money signings.

As far as the squad being better than last season, just look at the strikers for a start. Last season was Martins, Sibierski, Ameobi (injured), Owen (injured). This coming season (pending any release clause activations) we have Owen, Viduka, Martins and Ameobi all fit. A vast improvement on last season I think we'd all agree.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Out of all the trandfers that have gone through i think we missed the boat with Distin

We lost Sidwell and Haim but that was out of our hands

Distin would have been a big improvement on our defence.

Look at Portsmouths defence and say we wouldnt be happy with this:

Lauren            Campbell            Distin              Taylor

Except for Taylor, all availibe on free!!!