Where's The Beef?

Tsunami

Two big jobs to be done when Ashley/Sam took over.

1, Clean out all of the shit and second rate hangers on at boadroom level.  That is now pretty well underway.

2, Clean out all of the shit and second rate hangers on at playing level. In terms of the number of changes required this is a much bigger task. Sam has got rid of some second rate squad players like Bramble, Sibs, Moore etc and brought in 4 good replacements. Bringing in a couple of superstars would change nothing unless we have a good solid sqad. Sam is buiding the foundations and I am sure the bigger signings will follow, but they will only be players that Sam wants and will be players who want to come here.

We're not being turned down by 'a lot of players' at all. Just because Beye is staying at Marseille. FFS, some of these posts are f****** ridiculous.

Rose tinted glasses I tell you.. A couple of bad results and all the optimism will soon fade away..

Stating facts is not looking at the world through rose-tinted glasses. Please list all the average players who have turned us down this window. I'll admit I'm naive and wrong if you can provide any evidence whatsoever.

I can't provide you with evidence of actually being turned down just as much as you can't provide me with evidence that this isn't happening. If you put on your thinking hat though, it's pretty obvious that we have been in for a number of players who have gone elsewhere (Sidwell, Ben Haim, Distin, etc) and for players who have decided to stay put rather than move to us (Beye, Diarra). That's not even stating all the players we have or are reportedly (been) interested in and that haven't materialised. It's pretty obvious to me that the standard of player that we are being linked with at the moment (Quedrue, Shorey, Fanni) is not the standard that a club that has the ambition to be one of the biggest in football needs to be targetting. If you believe otherwise it's hard to argue with you not wearing rose tinted glasses; if it would have been Roeder targetting these players everybody would have been sitting here saying they weren't renewing their season tickets..

Jesus Christ, two of the players that we "missed out on" went to Chelsea, and one of them stayed at Chelsea.  There is one example so far this window of a player knocking us back to stay in France.  That's it. 

The ambition to be one of the biggest clubs in football is a long-term thing, in case you hadn't realised.  It's not something we just click our fingers and have happen.  Nor is it something that we can tell players that currently play at Chelsea or who have the option to play for Chelsea and expect them to think "Well f*** me, I've never heard anyone say that at Stamford Bridge.  I'm offski."

We have to work our way up, and if that means signing players that are less than world-beaters along the way, so be it.  It's not gonna happen overnight, and you're f****** daft if you think it is.  We're moving in the right direction this close season.  The only reason you remain underwhelmed is because you have unrealistic expectations borne out by the fact that you think we should be competing with Chelsea in the transfer market from day one.

The thread is about showing us the substance. Posts are being listed based upon what members think will happen. They are happy with where we are at this stage & no doubt expect things to hot up a little. They are unhappy that questions are being asked.

As things stands & in comparison to others we have not done a great deal in the transfer market. That is a fact. I am not asking for world class signings or expect to compete with the giants of the game. I do expect us to sort out the number one priority of the defense & at present do not see much to be encouraged by.

That may change next week or the week after. Please look at where we are today & put aside what may happen & ask yourself whether you are happy with the squad.

Sam quite simply must be working around the clock to get these players in, the fact that we aren't making more signings must be a valid question.

I am optimistic but that doesn't mean I'm also happy with where we are currently.

Guest optimistic nit

"They are unhappy that questions are being asked." :lol:

to answer your question, i'm not happy with the squad as it is now, it needs 3-4 new defenders and 1 new mid imo. but i wasn't happy with the squad in april either, so why didn't you start the thread then, because it would make about as much sense as starting it after 12 days of the transfer window.

Guest Gemmill

We're not being turned down by 'a lot of players' at all. Just because Beye is staying at Marseille. FFS, some of these posts are f****** ridiculous.

Rose tinted glasses I tell you.. A couple of bad results and all the optimism will soon fade away..

Stating facts is not looking at the world through rose-tinted glasses. Please list all the average players who have turned us down this window. I'll admit I'm naive and wrong if you can provide any evidence whatsoever.

I can't provide you with evidence of actually being turned down just as much as you can't provide me with evidence that this isn't happening. If you put on your thinking hat though, it's pretty obvious that we have been in for a number of players who have gone elsewhere (Sidwell, Ben Haim, Distin, etc) and for players who have decided to stay put rather than move to us (Beye, Diarra). That's not even stating all the players we have or are reportedly (been) interested in and that haven't materialised. It's pretty obvious to me that the standard of player that we are being linked with at the moment (Quedrue, Shorey, Fanni) is not the standard that a club that has the ambition to be one of the biggest in football needs to be targetting. If you believe otherwise it's hard to argue with you not wearing rose tinted glasses; if it would have been Roeder targetting these players everybody would have been sitting here saying they weren't renewing their season tickets..

Jesus Christ, two of the players that we "missed out on" went to Chelsea, and one of them stayed at Chelsea.  There is one example so far this window of a player knocking us back to stay in France.  That's it. 

The ambition to be one of the biggest clubs in football is a long-term thing, in case you hadn't realised.  It's not something we just click our fingers and have happen.  Nor is it something that we can tell players that currently play at Chelsea or who have the option to play for Chelsea and expect them to think "Well f*** me, I've never heard anyone say that at Stamford Bridge.  I'm offski."

We have to work our way up, and if that means signing players that are less than world-beaters along the way, so be it.  It's not gonna happen overnight, and you're f****** daft if you think it is.  We're moving in the right direction this close season.  The only reason you remain underwhelmed is because you have unrealistic expectations borne out by the fact that you think we should be competing with Chelsea in the transfer market from day one.

The thread is about showing us the substance. Posts are being listed based upon what members think will happen. They are happy with where we are at this stage & no doubt expect things to hot up a little. They are unhappy that questions are being asked.

As things stands & in comparison to others we have not done a great deal in the transfer market. That is a fact. I am not asking for world class signings or expect to compete with the giants of the game. I do expect us to sort out the number one priority of the defense & at present do not see much to be encouraged by.

That may change next week or the week after. Please look at where we are today & put aside what may happen & ask yourself whether you are happy with the squad.

Sam quite simply must be working around the clock to get these players in, the fact that we aren't making more signings must be a valid question.

I am optimistic but that doesn't mean I'm also happy with where we are currently.

We're not expected to currently have the squad that we will be starting next season with, because the window doesn't close for a while yet.  I doubt Allardyce is happy that the squad he currently has is fit to face a premiership campaign.  Which is why I anticipate more signings before the window closes.  So do you it seems.  So what are you complaining about?  Are you just getting a downpayment in on your annoyance in case the rest of the window doesn't go to plan?

In answer to your direct question:  No I am not currently happy with the squad.  But nor is the manager.  See?  We've had a week, maybe a week and a half where a player hasn't come through the door and you're raising this as some sort of sign that we're not going about things the right way.  What is acceptable to you?  One signing per week?  More?

Guest Verlaine

It wasn't about that until you googled 'where's the beef' to try and back yourself up. ;)

Guest optimistic nit

Just to finish verlaine and tsunami's debate, i was drifiting towards tsunami's side, as this thread does appear to be about showing us the substance (cash) but the first line of  the first post "What's really going on?" seems to back up verlaine ;)

Guest Verlaine

Just to finish verlaine and tsunami's debate, i was drifiting towards tsunami's side, as this thread does appear to be about showing us the substance (cash) but the first line of  the first post "What's really going on?" seems to back up verlaine ;)

You're a scientist, though, not an English major, so your intial folly can be excused. :razz:

If I had named the thread "What's the beef" but then started by asking where the cash was in the 1st sentence as opposed to the second sentence would I have really meant "Where's the beef" and started a flip flop debate based upon what others thought I meant.

"Where's the beef" is by far the more well known & used phrase & it is what I meant. No hard feelings like.

Regardless of how much money we have now (and we're not alone in having a recent take-over) we're not yet at the stage of being a great draw with the top class players you/we would like. We have no chance (imo) of finishing top four next season as the jump from where we where/are is too great to do nowadays. We did it to some extent our first season up but tbh the premiership is a lot more tougher now than then. Chelsea went from being a top 6 (or 4?) team to champions when they were taken over but they were the first ones to really have the cash to do that. There are a hell of a lot of teams now with similar cash reserves us and they all want the same thing. But they, as we will, have to do it in stages, our next step in the league is to get top 5-8 or so, qualify for the EUFA and then re-stock the club with the next level of players to get/challenge higher.

I'm fairly sure that the club/Sam is working his knackers off trying to get the 'right' personnel in - he's openly said how many players he wants in, however you only have to see how long the Rozenthal deal dragged on that some signings don't  happen overnight.

Not sure I understand all this anxiety.  :frantic:

Calm down, it's not FM, takes time to bring in the players the manager wants and is doubly hard since we aren't in Europe next season and everyone and their dog seems to have that as a requirement these days.

Sam's done well so far but he's not finished yet the windows only been open a short time anyway.

I'm looking forward to the new season and seeing the new-look team, and not signing anyone for a week hasn't really dampened that. I really think we can make top six this year and would be happy with that to start with. Then the bigger players may come.

:coolsmiley:

For the record, i had a fucking great bit of beef last night.

One thing to note on this was the conflicting noises from Allardyce and the Ashley camp around the time of the takeover. Allardyce was quoted as saying we need to be patient, an undisclosed source, supposedly representing Ashley was saying he wanted success straightaway.

This has fucked about with expectations. However, people just need to get a grip of reality and then their pain will disappear.

I think people are unhappy about us being linked with s**** like Queudrue and Young rather than us not spending millions tbh.

Hit the nail on the head.

I couldn't give a crap about prices, it's the quality of players we're (apparently) chasing. Gradually we're after poorer players and that's reason for concern in my book. Are we struggling to attract the players necessary to improve us? Is there no money in the kitty? Why are we looking at midtable players like Young and Queudrue? Young and Queudrue would be very much like the signings of Babayaro and Carr.

I think people are unhappy about us being linked with s**** like Queudrue and Young rather than us not spending millions tbh.

I couldn't give a crap about prices, it's the quality of players we're (apparently) chasing. Gradually we're after poorer players and that's reason for concern in my book. Are we struggling to attract the players necessary to improve us? Is there no money in the kitty? Why are we looking at midtable players like Young and Queudrue? Young and Queudrue would be very much like the signings of Babayaro and Carr.

Prepare for some abuse ohmelads.. You´re not allowed to ask questions or be worried about what´s going on around these parts nowadays..

Tottenham finished fifth with the Lee at left back and I would honestly rather have Quedrue. I would rather have Quedrue over Gardener at bolton too and they finished in a European place also. People need to be more realistic.

Quedrue is a strong, aggressive defender at left back and I think right now these are the types of players we need on our backline. Defensively I'm not sure Shorey and Baines are better than Quedrue.

Tottenham finished fifth with the Lee at left back and I would honestly rather have Quedrue. I would rather have Quedrue over Gardener at bolton too and they finished in a European place also. People need to be more realistic.

Quedrue is a strong, aggressive defender at left back and I think right now these are the types of players we need on our backline. Defensively I'm not sure Shorey and Baines are better than Quedrue.

Agree 100%.

Indeed. I've said this before and got attacked for it, but I'd like us to at least be linked with some younger players whose best days are in front of them, not behind them. Rather take the risk on them than extremely average players in their late 20s.

Indeed. I've said this before and got attacked for it, but I'd like us to at least be linked with some younger players whose best days are in front of them, not behind them. Rather take the risk on them than extremely average players in their late 20s.

To be fair though I'd rather we had a decent squad right now then we can bring in the "potential" players.

And?

People need to stop getting so wound up if we are being linked to players they don't like :lol:

People are moaning we are being linked to average players days after we have been linked to someone who made one of the best teams in Europe tick.

To be fair though I'd rather we had a decent squad right now then we can bring in the "potential" players.

Oh, agreed. I'd like us to finish getting a decent squad sorted first too, but at the same time I'd like us to bring in some "potential" players in the same way Liverpool do.

Oh, agreed. I'd like us to finish getting a decent squad sorted first too, but at the same time I'd like us to bring in some "potential" players in the same way Liverpool do.

Liverpool can attract these players due to:

1) Having a high quality squad

2) Having successive top 4 finishes

3) Always in europe with success.

Something we lack atm.