Toon Thoughts: Owen, Milner, Transfer Targets

Guest Bill Fibreglass

Guest Bill Fibreglass

Thoughts welcome.  :thup:

===========================================

Welcome to the first edition of what will become a regular feature on Newcastle-Online in the coming season. With me, your affable host, Bill Fibreglass, we will be looking at all the latest news and rumours from around St. James’ Park and trying to separate the fact from the fantasy, as well as trying to figure out the thinking behind the goings on at our club.

Where can I start other than with Michael Owen? After weeks of silence, the England and occasional Newcastle United striker has come out and pledged his future to the club in a truly moving piece written in The Times. While even the most dim-witted of fan can see this for the hollow gesture it is, given that this statement has only come after the “Big 4″ have all seemingly identified alternative targets, at the end of the day this leaves us with one the best natural goalscorers in the game for the coming season.

There’s still the nagging issue of the clause in his contract hanging over us, and this will no doubt come back into the picture next summer, if not January. Furthermore, with only two years left on his contract we do seem set for yet more uncertainty in the very near future regarding Owen. Hopefully, with Owen in the side we can find ourselves in a healthy league position come next May. Then we’ll be either able to get him to extend his deal here, without the clause, or else be in a better position to attract a top quality replacement. So let’s get behind him now that he’s here is what I say, he’s still a Newcastle United player after-all, even if it is only in the short term.

In better, less complicated, news James Milner has signed a new four-year deal that should keep him at the club for the foreseeable future. It seems insane to think that less than a year ago we were trying all we could to flog this boy to raise money for the purchase of Mark Viduka. Now, ironically, we have both of them at our disposal for the coming season. The attitude shown by Milner last season in the face of such poor treatment from the club should serve as an example of professionalism to all of our staff, and nobody in the team is more deserving of an extended, and likely improved, contract than this young man. Well done, lad.

Argentinian midfielder Aldo Duscher has apparently come and gone, his trial cut short after he failed to impress. Had he worked out then Duscher could have proved a quite useful addition to our squad, as not long ago he was being linked with big money moved to the likes of Man United and Roma. The 28 year-old seems to have lost his way though and it seems is no longer worth the risk, even on a free transfer. Whether Sam will now look to find an alternative target to Duscher to compete for the holing midfield role with Nicky Butt remains to be seen.

With rumoured target Habib Beye, the right-back and captain of Marseille, having appeared to rule himself out of a move this summer, Allardyce is believed to have turned his attentions to the wonderfully named Rod Fanni of Nice. The 25 year-old plays primarily as a right-back, though can fill in at center-back and in midfield too. His style of play has been likened to that of Lilian Thuram and, though I know very little about him, I’m sure his signing would be of great benefit to us, if only for the stream of puns his name lends itself to.

While Allardyce has shown himself to be very prudent in the transfer marker thus far, one can’t help but wonder if, with all this wheeling and dealing so far this summer, there is less money to be spent on players this summer than what has been rumoured? While I would never advocate spending for the sheer sake of it, I think the benefits we would reap from going out and buying a truly top class center-back to partner Taylor would be worth whatever money we spent getting him. We have some good players in midfield and up front, with a mean defence we would be looking at possibly being a very formidable outfit next season.

Rumours about signing Deco are all well and good, but a top class CB and left full-back would serve us in better stead for years to come. Not that I’ll be complaining if we sign Deco, of course.

He's on the writing team and his article's on the main site. Cut him some slack.

He signed up an hour ago telling us his regular feature will appear here in future, so I enquired who he was.

He was hardly getting grief for me to warrant cutting him slack tbh.

He's on the writing team and his article's on the main site. Cut him some slack.

He signed up an hour ago telling us his regular feature will appear here in future, so I enquired who he was.

"Just another HTT alter-ego", or whatever it was you said. Give him a break, it's an article, not an uber-post.

Guest Bill Fibreglass

While not the reaction that Bill Fibreglass was hoping for, all great things must start somewhere.

And I don't see how my name is all that different from Cesc Fabregas, so I'd appreciate it if those who find it funny could keep it to themselves.

Thank You  :thup:

While not the reaction that Bill Fibreglass was hoping for, all great things must start somewhere.

And I don't see how my name is all that different from Cesc Fabregas, so I'd appreciate it if those who find it funny could keep it to themselves.

Thank You  :thup:

Its Ridzuan but he has been taking English lesson's! :D

Ah fuck it. Can't be arsed with petty, stoppy bastards.

He was only asking a question tbf and I reckon he is probably right :lol:

And i was only pointing something out, and saying for people not to get on his back straight away.

"Just another HTT alter-ego", or whatever it was you said. Give him a break, it's an article, not an uber-post.

You're making out I said "Just another HTT alter-ego" as if I said it as a statement to put him down, where as I really said "Another HTT alter ego?" as I was asking a question.

I know you like to think of yourself as some moderator type person running around the forums pulling people up on their grammar and stuff but you're not so please pack it in.

Nothing worse than being dictated to by a 15 year old who knows fuck all, you're like the Special Officer Doofy of Newcastle-Online tbh.

Ah f*** it. Can't be arsed with petty, stoppy bastards.

He was only asking a question tbf and I reckon he is probably right :lol:

And i was only pointing something out, and saying for people not to get on his back straight away.

Feel that above your head? That's the point passing you by...

Guest Verlaine

Ah f*** it. Can't be arsed with petty, stoppy bastards.

Dont worry, we cant be arsed with your twatness either

You're hardly any better.

Guest Verlaine

Problem is with articles like this- no offence- is that the topics have already been done to death on forums and in newspapers, etc. There's nothing there that's new or interesting or hasn't been said/debated/summarised at tedious length before.

Problem is with articles like this- no offence- is that the topics have already been done to death on forums and in newspapers, etc. There's nothing there that's new or interesting or hasn't been said/debated/summarised at tedious length before.

most of the nufc forum at the moment