Ronal... Baptista on his way?

Crumpy Gunt

Guest Knightrider

Baptista is a good player, but doesn't look suited to the Premiership. Don't think Wenger handled him well either. I'd have him here for £5m max though as I believe if any manager can prepare a foreign player for the rigours of English football, it is Sam Allardyce. Plus he can play in midfield too. He has good vision as well, which we lack in there. Prefer we signed defenders first though.

He told the Sunday Mirror: "I believe I showed at Arsenal last season that I can play in England, score goals and make goals.

"Newcastle is a big club, but before I consider a move I need to know about my future with Real.

"I want the chance in pre-season to show our new coach, Bernd Schuster, I should be part of his plans.

"If things don't work out here I will have to look at other options in Spain and England."

I hope he does not come to newcastle, he is really lazy and REALLY slow it will be like having a carr in midfield! The headline i want to see is "shorey to the toon" and then we can start to look at "decent" midfielders.

Baptista is a very player who was never used correctly by Wenger at Arsenal, he never looked 100% fit either.

If he were to come here I can see him playing as the attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation.

Baptista is a very player who was never used correctly by Wenger at Arsenal, he never looked 100% fit either.

If he were to come here I can see him playing as the attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation.

I'd go with that.

He's not a bad player not sure why people are so down on him.

Hit the nail on the head. Put him in a 4-3-3 as an attacking midfielder and he would be really effective.

Anyone who saw him play as an attacking midfielder for Brazil in the Copa America would have seen this.

Baptista is a brilliant player. People may point to his Arsenal form but then I'd point to the fact he's an important part of the Brazil squad. And despite his limited chances at Arsenal, very few players go to Anfield and score four goals. I think he'd be a brilliant signing for us, his versatility means he can play DM, AM or up front and used correctly he can be an amazing striker. He has a hell of a lot in his locker and I don't think he ever got the chances at Arsenal. The only club to date to give him a chance and make him a key player was Sevilla, and he was unstoppable for them.

I think he could walk into our first team in several positions and give us a lot that we're missing. I really hope this one is true, it's got a lot more to it than the previous sunday gossip as there are actual quotes, plus I think he is very much a Big Sam type of player due to his physical attributes and versatility.

For £6m he'd be a bargain, a 25-yard old Brazil international. Compare that to £7M for Parker and £8.5M for Reo-Coker, Baptista is a far better and more versatile footballer than either of those two.

Guest SwissMagpie

Baptista said when he was in Arsenal that he is suffering from the Bad weather in London...........So what will happed when he come to Newcastle??

Baptista said when he was in Arsenal that he is suffering from the Bad weather in London...........So what will happed when he come to Newcastle??

another dyer? "suffering from the bad weather" we dont need a player like this! i would suffer a nail in my ass for 70 grand a week

Guest Guinness

As has been pointed out Baptista is a good player. He was very impressive in Spain for Seville before he signed for Real, but hasn't had the best of times since signing for them. He wasn't very impressive for Arsenal last season, however he did show flashes of what he's capable of such as his performance against Liverpool in the Carling Cup. I must admit I was very impressed with him in the latter stages of the Copa America, he changed my opinion of him with some impressive performances. Being able to play in midfield and up front would also add versatility to the squad.

Milan and Villarreal are linked in the Spanish press, with a fee of £7M - £10M mentioned, though they reckon Real will ask for more after his Copa America performances and the fact that a good percentage of the fee will go to Sevilla. Real's technical secretary wants to keep him but the new manager Schuster doesn't and with the signing of Saviola it looks like his opportunities will be limited.

Guest geordie01

Julio Baptista has revealed he wants to try breaking into the starting line-up at Real Madrid before considering a move to Newcastle United.

The Brazil international is back at the Bernabeu after failing to impress Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger during his season-long loan spell with the Gunners.

Baptista, 25, bagged ten goals for the Gunners last season but was sent back to the Spanish champions.

Magpies boss Sam Allardyce is keen on signing the attacking midfielder for £6 million, according to newspaper reports.

Baptista said he is flattered by the interest but his main ambition is to force himself into the plans of new Madrid coach Bernd Schuster.

"I believe I showed at Arsenal last season that I can play in England score goals and make goals," Baptista told the Sunday Mirror.

"Newcastle is a big club but before I consider a move I need to know about my future with Real.

"I want the chance in pre-season to show our new coach Bernd Schuster I should be part of his plans.

"If things don't work out here I will have to look at other options in Spain and England."

Baptista helped Brazil win the Copa America last Sunday after beating bitter rivals Argentina 3-0.

© Adfero Ltd

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

taken from London View

Well i would certainly not mind him here. "could" turn out to be a bargain if he was a success which i believe that he could become if he had the managers belief in him as a player, one small thing like that can give you alot more confidence, and without confidence as a player you don get far in the game no matter what level you play at...

Guest cfhpantera27

I hope he does not come to newcastle, he is really lazy and REALLY slow it will be like having a carr in midfield! The headline i want to see is "shorey to the toon" and then we can start to look at "decent" midfielders.

never in my life did i think I'd hear Steve Carr compared with Baptista  :laugh:

Baptista maybe a good player but he was down right rotten for Arsenal in the premiership last year, he just couldn't pick up the pace at all. I don't see where he would play for us and I can't see him liking our style of player either. Wasn't he the one complaining about the northern teams long ball tactics last year as well?

baptista has to play high up the pitch and let loose to break ranks and run forward. at arsenal he was playing in a congested midfield where everyone was playing fluid, one touch, five-a-side, over-elaborate football. he was never going to excel in a team like that, he's not a subtle player like hleb or rosicky or fabregas, he needs to play direct and in space.

baptista has to play high up the pitch and let loose to break ranks and run forward. at arsenal he was playing in a congested midfield where everyone was playing fluid, one touch, five-a-side, over-elaborate football. he was never going to excel in a team like that, he's not a subtle player like hleb or rosicky or fabregas, he needs to play direct and in space.

Excellent point, and exactly how I feel. The Arsenal game was too intricate and over-elaborate for him which is why he struggled there. He needs to play a much more direct game.

As for him talking about the weather and the long-ball stuff. This was just after he had returned to Spain and Arsenal had said they wouldn't be pursuing their interest. I believe it was more out of embarrassment/dissapointment that they didn't want him that he said these things.

The fact that he now says he would only play in Spain or England and actually acknowledges Newcastle as a viable option let's you know that he didn' t really have a problem with the conditions over here.