Ronal... Baptista on his way?

Crumpy Gunt

Marca are saying that Newcastle recently made an offer which was rejected because it didn't meet Real's valuation.

They're saying that Villarreal may now have to move quickly or abandon the chase as Newcastle and Milan show their interest. Apparently Villarreal made an offer last week of 10m euros and are now considering upping it to 15m euros. Villarreal need a replacement for Forlan who went to Atletico to replace Torres.

Guest Knightrider

Baptista at Arsenal kind of reminded me of Kluivert at Newcastle. The Dutchman wasn't as bad as many made out and despite not really getting a chance, he did well when he did. Same with the Brazilian at the Gunners in my opinion. I'd take Baptista like, the more I think about it. I could see Allardyce getting the best out of him and he'd fill more than one hole, he's quite young still too and seems to be a big game player.

Guest sicko2ndbest

From Marca - can anyone translate

Roig estudia llegar a 15 kilos por Baptista

J.FERNÁNDEZ- Vila-real

El Villarreal ya sabe que deberá moverse rápido si quiere firmar a Julio Baptista, una vez que se ha encontrado con dos duros rivales -el Newcastle inglés y el Milan italiano- en su puja por hacerse con los servicios del delantero brasileño para cubrir el hueco que ha dejado Diego Forlán.

La entidad amarilla ofertó hace una semana diez millones de euros y ahora estudia la posibilidad de subirla hasta quince o de, por ese precio, buscar otras alternativas.

La operación no se antoja nada sencilla, ya que la petición del Real Madrid por el atacante internacional está cifrada a partir de los 15 millones de euros, y tanto el Milan como el Newcastle pueden echar el resto. El club inglés presentó recientemente una oferta que fue desestimada por no llegar a las elevadas pretensiones blancas.

Desde Italia, se apuntaba el lunes que el Milan está muy cerca de hacerse en propiedad con ‘La Bestia’, ya que la oferta parece superior a la del Villarreal y más cercana a lo que pide el Madrid. Por ello, el Villarreal podría llegar a los 15 kilos, una cantidad que no asusta al club amarillo, el cual también está preparado para hacer frente a la elevada ficha del futbolista, que no sería un obstáculo para su incorporación.

Lo que está claro es que la prioridad del Villarreal pasa por firmar a un delantero cuanto antes para reforzar una línea que se encuentra bastante debilitada.

Nar, but:

Deco has reiterated his desire to stay at Barcelona but admits that if the club tell him that he is not needed then he will seek a transfer.

The Portuguese international spoke out after being left out of the starting line-up in Barca's 11 versus 11 training match on Tuesday.

His omission sparked debate in the Catalan media as a lot has been read into Frank Rijkaard's choice for the two teams in the match.

"I have a contract until 2010 and nobody has said anything to me, therefore I think that they count on me. I like it here. But if they do not want me to stay then that is there choice," Deco said.

Barca are continuing their pre-season preparations in Scotland but speculation is rife over which players will be off-loaded following the arrival of four new stars.

Deco has been subject of interest from Internazionale and Newcastle United but he is only focusing on helping Barcelona reclaim their title and is knows Rijkaard has yet to finalise his squad.

"He will now try and make a great team from these players. Everyone wants to make this a great team," the 29-year-old explained.

"The team is not finalised yet. The coach is trying to create his team and I have to continue working hard."

Reflecting on harsh criticism during last season that included reports that he was at the centre of the controversy behind the scenes, Deco explained that he knew the analysis would start when the team missed out on the title.

Deco said: "When you do not win something then things like that always happen. We have had some incredible years, but then last season we failed.

"Everything that was said was expected and we were ready for it. This season I think we will be going for all the trophies as the club has brought some great new players."

The fact that they didnt pick him from 22 players didnt give him the subtle hint?

Id be suprised if Barca really do want to let him leave, but maybe they think its a good time to cash in on a player that they will start mainly on the bench. His price is only likely to drop from now on.

We shall see.

From Marca - can anyone translate

Roig estudia llegar a 15 kilos por Baptista

J.FERNÁNDEZ- Vila-real

El Villarreal ya sabe que deberá moverse rápido si quiere firmar a Julio Baptista, una vez que se ha encontrado con dos duros rivales -el Newcastle inglés y el Milan italiano- en su puja por hacerse con los servicios del delantero brasileño para cubrir el hueco que ha dejado Diego Forlán.

La entidad amarilla ofertó hace una semana diez millones de euros y ahora estudia la posibilidad de subirla hasta quince o de, por ese precio, buscar otras alternativas.

La operación no se antoja nada sencilla, ya que la petición del Real Madrid por el atacante internacional está cifrada a partir de los 15 millones de euros, y tanto el Milan como el Newcastle pueden echar el resto. El club inglés presentó recientemente una oferta que fue desestimada por no llegar a las elevadas pretensiones blancas.

Desde Italia, se apuntaba el lunes que el Milan está muy cerca de hacerse en propiedad con ?La Bestia?, ya que la oferta parece superior a la del Villarreal y más cercana a lo que pide el Madrid. Por ello, el Villarreal podría llegar a los 15 kilos, una cantidad que no asusta al club amarillo, el cual también está preparado para hacer frente a la elevada ficha del futbolista, que no sería un obstáculo para su incorporación.

Lo que está claro es que la prioridad del Villarreal pasa por firmar a un delantero cuanto antes para reforzar una línea que se encuentra bastante debilitada.

Villareal, Milana and us  are chasing Baptista. €15m euro is the asking price. Milan have offered €10 so far and they speculate that €15m won't be a problem for Newcastle who are keen.

Wouldnt say no to Baptista certainly. Wouldnt be suprised if we were looking at he and Gudjohnsen. One as fall back for the other.

Not convinced I wouldnt prefer Baptista who is a couple of years younger, tough call though as the Iceman has proven himself over here much better.

Will probably end up with Fletcher.

Guest Knightrider

£10 million is too much.

Agreed, so I propose we sell Dyer and use the money from that to go towards Baptista's price

/FMtastic

£10 million is too much.

Agreed, so I propose we sell Dyer and use the money from that to go towards Baptista's price

/FMtastic

His price will still be £10 million though. :lol:

Guest Knightrider

£10 million is too much.

/FMtastic

I know, but instead of paying all that out, use the money from Dyer's sale, kind of like how Parker paid for Barton and Rozehnal, so it would be like paying £6m (if we got £4 for Dyer) for replacing a poorish player with a much better one, which would make it all the more palatable price wise. Sounds canny in my heed anyway ;)

£10 million is too much.

/FMtastic

I know, but instead of paying all that out, use the money from Dyer's sale, kind of like how Parker paid for Barton and Rozehnal, so it would be like paying £6m (if we got £4 for Dyer) for replacing a poorish player with a much better one, which would make it all the more palatable price wise. Sounds canny in my heed anyway ;)

I wouldn't sell Dyer for anything less than £6m, i wouldn't pay anything more than £8m for Bappy.

I think he'd be class in the centre of the park alongside Barton, but we'd be taking a chance, and about all the confusion about where he plays, for me he's an attacking mid who cant play striker and is strong enough to be a holding man in a weak league due to his strength.

Guest sicko2ndbest

£10 million is too much.

/FMtastic

I wouldn't sell Dyer for anything less than £6m, i wouldn't pay anything more than £8m for Bappy.

I think he'd be class in the centre of the park alongside Barton, but we'd be taking a chance, and about all the confusion about where he plays, for me he's an attacking mid who cant play striker and is strong enough to be a holding man in a weak league due to his strength.

Working alongside Barton in the middle. Think this could be another Dabo waiting to happen  :knuppel2:

Did Owen play with Baptista or was this the season they swapped clubs

£10 million is too much.

/FMtastic

Working alongside Barton in the middle. Think this could be another Dabo waiting to happen  :knuppel2:

Did Owen play with Baptista or was this the season they swapped clubs

Owen left the season Baptista and Robinho joined.

Baptista has also said he will only play in England or Spain so we would appear to have a good chance of signing him as Milan would be ruled out. Villareal aren't as much as a threat to us as the likes of Barca, Sevilla, Valencia or Atletico might have been.

Looks promising. Although hopefully we can agree on a fee between £6 million and £10 million so around £8 million should suffice.

An attacking quartet of Viduka, Martins, Owen, Baptista in an AM role, with Barton and Butt behind them - pretty poor imo. Wed be playing very poor football with that lot, the only one with a bit of consistent ability/creativity on the ball would be Barton, and even then were not talking about a significant amount since hes more of an all rounder.

Baptista's best form by a country mile has been when used as the main target forward (Sevilla), where he can utilise his strength and running ability to devestating effect. Pushing him back 30 yards just reduces the opportunities for him to use the abilities he excels at, which is why for Real Madrid he was pretty much anonymous in most games and ended up being a flop.

For Arsenal, hes shown glimpses of what hes capable of up front. If we do sign him, I hope its as a forward, and not a replacement for Dyer.

• 1 month later...

If Owen joins Man U, I would like us to bring in Baptista.

Alan Smith, Viduka and Martins upfront, with Geremi, Baptista and Barton in midfield.

Come on Sam, make it happen!

BAPTISTA TO THE TOON!!!

You heard it here first ...

Alan Smith, Viduka and Martins upfront, with Geremi, Baptista and Barton in midfield.

BAPTISTA TO THE TOON!!!

When's Motta arriving?

BAPTISTA TO THE TOON!!!

If Owen joins Man U? What you on about?

BAPTISTA TO THE TOON!!!

If Owen joins Man U? What you on about?

Sorry guys, just bored ...

I would like Baptista though, You know what they say though ... the power of the tongue and all that.

Right I'm off to bed now. I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally tired ....

Guest optimistic nit

most people when bored dont make up transfer stories that wont happen in order to finance other transfer stories that wont happen ;)