No Galacticos but good solid defenders needed - Big Sam

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Allardyce rules out 'galactico' arrival

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has admitted he is not in the market for a "galactico" as he attempts to strengthen his squad.

The Magpies have been linked with, among others, Brazilian superstar Ronaldinho and Italian World Cup winner Fabio Cannavaro in recent days with Allardyce scouring the world for new recruits.

Billionaire new owner Mike Ashley's spending power has inevitably led to frenzied speculation over the club's activity on the transfer market.

However, while Allardyce admits he would be thrilled to welcome such a name to St James' Park, his priorities currently lie elsewhere and admitted he was confident he could persuade Ashley's regime to fund his plans.

He said: "Without any reassurances in that area yet, I am confident if they need any convincing, I can convince them that a heavy investment needs to be made in terms of the transfer market.

"He made a massive, heavy investment in the first place which is hopefully, in the short term and the long term, great news for Newcastle United and for me.

"We are all hoping we can move in the transfer market and bring some good players to the football club.

"I am not talking about the 'galactico' stars that are being mentioned - that is just a nonsense at the moment.

"We need three or four solid, very, very good defenders from wherever it may be, and we will be a force this year.

"But we need to get them first. If he wants to give me a little gift after with a galactico, I won't say no."

Allardyce has already managed to land Mark Viduka, Joey Barton, David Rozehnal and Geremi since his arrival on Tyneside as Glenn Roeder's replacement.

However, he has made no secret of his wish to strengthen at the back, where inconsistently has cost the club dearly in recent years.

He lost out to Chelsea in his pursuit of Bolton centre-back Tal Ben Haim, and is currently chasing a series of other targets, although he admits the pool is growing smaller by the day.

He said: "We have other targets, but in terms of top targets, the list is running out rather rapidly now."

Allardyce's efforts to lure Marseille defender Habib Beye to St James' have so far come to nothing, while his move for Barcelona's Brazilian star Edmilson could be renewed in January when he has recovered from his knee injury - although by then Milan duo AC and Inter could be ahead of him in the queue.

He has dismissed suggestions he is in talks with Fulham's Franck Queudrue, and admits his interest in Manchester United's Gabriel Heinze is unlikely to pay dividends.

Allardyce said: "I wouldn't say we have any interest in Franck Queudrue.

"Heinze - if I wanted him, I don't think he would come. I think he would have hit sights on a greater club than this one.

"Certainly, if he got away from Manchester United, I'm not so sure that it wouldn't be another club somewhere else in Europe rather than in this country.

"It would be nice if he did want to come and we could pursue it, but I don't think we can."

Guest Verlaine

What's that, doom-mongers? I told you so? :razz:

Allardyce said: "I wouldn't say we have any interest in Franck Queudrue. He is out of our price range and probably too good for this club as this time."

???

Heinze - if I wanted him, I don't think he would come. I think he would have hit sights on a greater club than this one.

"Certainly, if he got away from Manchester United, I'm not so sure that it wouldn't be another club somewhere else in Europe rather than in this country.

"It would be nice if he did want to come and we could pursue it, but I don't think we can."

Whats all this? 

Realism, reverse phsycology or both?

Will have to find something else to moan about, my guess is the lack of ambition shown by not going for Heinze or Galactico's!

Guest sicko2ndbest

I get the distinct impression Big Sam has been told there will be no authorising of any big transfers until the internal review is over. This could be catastrophic for our chances of getting a good start to the campaign.

Big Sam dosnt seem to know what he is playing with in terms of funding, as he says ' if i can pusuade them (MA/CM)'. It seems that there is a distict lack of communication from the board.

MA needs to release the funds and trust Sam!

Guest Invicta_Toon

I get the distinct impression Big Sam has been told there will be no authorising of any big transfers until the internal review is over. This could be catastrophic for our chances of getting a good start to the campaign.

Big Sam dosnt seem to know what he is playing with in terms of funding, as he says ' if i can pusuade them (MA/CM)'. It seems that there is a distict lack of communication from the board.

HE HAS RELEASED FUNDS FOR FUCKS SAKE

There's no way you can possibly know that like.

Mort said there's money, but that could be £5m for all we know.

Guest Invicta_Toon

is that likely? really?

Guest Knightrider

Hmmm, bit worrying. Also don't like his negative comments about Heinze, even if what he's saying is true.

You couldn't imagine KK being so downbeat about the prospects of enticing a player.

FAT SAM OUT!!!

it seems to me he has got his prioritys right unlike most "ex" managers

Remember when a certain dreadlocked one signed Domi, Goma, Dumas & Marcelino in his first year in charge. (4 pretty "Allardyce-esque" transfers as well wouldn't you agree?)

Guest Invicta_Toon

Hmmm, bit worrying. Also don't like his negative comments about Heinze, even if what he's saying is true.

You couldn't imagine KK being so downbeat about the prospects of enticing a player.

FAT SAM OUT!!!

him and Ashley look increasingly like a complete mismatch

Guest sicko2ndbest

is that likely? really?

In the grand scheme of things he has released fuck all really. MA should be giving Big Sam a blank cheque to get the defenders he needs in the door. I am very concerned that MA/CM think that because the window is open till the end of August they have time to conduct their review and still give funds.

They are playing with fire as FS used to do. Big Sam has already said in his experience if you dont get players through the door early their prices suddenly creep up as desperation creeps in.

It is false economy. By now they should know the state of affairs on player contracts, money coming in/going out, so should know what they are playing with.

They need to show him the money and quickly, before we end up on page 3/4 of the wish list and end up with Anthony Gardner or someone of similar ability

Guest leon b

i think allardyce is playing it safe and sensible, yes we want to sign top players but the reality is we may not attract them.I would prefer sam to be real rather than talk rubbish like some of our former managers.

I really do think we'll have a squad to be proud of come the start of the seasion, it just takes time.

FAT SAM OUT!!!

him and Ashley look increasingly like a complete mismatch

How is that then?

Very wise from Sam, he is going the right away about building a team! No superstars beigg bought but good solid players who will improive the team..Adn with 3/4 defenders still to come you would have to say we will be a force! Just need to get them in now!

Guest leon b

i just want to see us sign players with a desperate hunger to suceed, guys who will be eager to do well for themselves and the club rather than money grabbers!!!

i just want to see us sign players with a desperate hunger to suceed, guys who will be eager to do well for themselves and the club rather than money grabbers!!!

treading seriously close to Roeder territory there! I do agree with you though. But at the same time a high transfer fee for a well known player doesn't necessarily mean they are money grabbers, and it would be nice to see a reasonably high profile CB sign for us.

is that likely? really?

In the grand scheme of things he has released f*** all really. MA should be giving Big Sam a blank cheque to get the defenders he needs in the door. I am very concerned that MA/CM think that because the window is open till the end of August they have time to conduct their review and still give funds.

They are playing with fire as FS used to do. Big Sam has already said in his experience if you dont get players through the door early their prices suddenly creep up as desperation creeps in.

It is false economy. By now they should know the state of affairs on player contracts, money coming in/going out, so should know what they are playing with.

They need to show him the money and quickly, before we end up on page 3/4 of the wish list and end up with Anthony Gardner or someone of similar ability

May be wrong, but didn't Mort say in his first interview not so long ago that they'd already spoken to Allardyce about transfer targets and that money had been made available to him, etc?

He doesnt actually say he wont sign a BIG NAME he is simply doing what many managers before have failed to do strengthen the defence before blowing big money on one player.

It is what most fans wanted him to do since the start and are now moaning coz he wont by big.