Chronicle: £7m bid made for defender (as yet unnamed)

Guest hindu times

I don't follow the German league but I've also heard Lahm had a poor season by his standards. Still, from what I've seen in the CL, World Cup etc he looks an excellent player, gets up and down the line all day, a very hard worker with age on his side. Seems unlikely we could get him but you never know.

Lahm wasn't at his best but he was probably still recovering from his cruciate injury which will take time to get over.  He'd be my first choice even if it was taking a chance because of his form since injury.

The Times are saying Babayaro will miss the start of the season. We need to get a move on with the left back hunt.

He's gone to Germany to get his groin sorted, I hope it goes the way it did for Shearer and not Carr.

Sam's latest quotes on transfers from Saturday's Times:

"Unfortunately, everything this week has progressed to a certain level, then fallen on stony ground. We've not been able to bring in anyone for a medical, and it's been an incredibly frustrating two weeks in terms of bringing players in"

Sam's latest quotes on transfers from Saturday's Times:

"Unfortunately, everything this week has progressed to a certain level, then fallen on stony ground. We've not been able to bring in anyone for a medical, and it's been an incredibly frustrating two weeks in terms of bringing players in"

Bugger.

"We've not been able to bring in anyone for a medical" - what an odd thing to say.

The medical only takes place after a fee has been agreed right?

Maybe we have identified some targets and the clubs are willing to sell but we haven't been able to agree on the fees?

"We've not been able to bring in anyone for a medical" - what an odd thing to say.

The medical only takes place after a fee has been agreed right?

Maybe we have identified some targets and the clubs are willing to sell but we haven't been able to agree on the fees?

That's how I read it. "everything has progressed to a certain level" would suggest we've been haggling and haven't succeeded or the player hasn't been up for it (eg Heinze perhaps).

Initial talks don't get past that very stage for whatever reason?

--

From the Journal, mostly same comments but the feeling that if something doesn't happen in a few days he'll turn to Europe from necessity.

He said: “Unfortunately everything this week has progressed to a certain level and has then fallen on stony ground.

“We’ve not been able to bring anyone in for a medical and it’s been an incredibly frustrating two weeks in terms of bringing players in.

“There are few defenders with Premiership experience around and that’s our main priority at the moment. I like going into the foreign market but having too many new players from abroad could cause us severe problems in the early part of the season.

“They take a little bit of time getting used to the Premiership and having too many of them together at the same time would not be the done thing.

“If that’s the only option, I’ll have to take it sooner rather than later, but we are trying to bring players in with Premiership experience and we are having to wait to get the right one.”

I think he means too many of them lining up next to each other in defence though. They would have to get used to the premiership and each other at the same time, whereas EPL experienced players would only need to get used to each other.

We are gonna have to accept that we will have to pay way way over the top for buying players from premiership rivals.

Everybody has mega cash to spend and everrybody in the prem will expect mega cash in return for one of their players.

Good to see he admits that if he does have to go into Europe he'd better do it quick, to give his new signings a chance and give the team some time to stabilise. He's actually making a lot of sesne with regards to transfers at the moment, Premiership experience is worth a lot in defence but if we can't get it we need to move quickly and get the foriegn defenders used to things over here.

Interesting semantics here: “If that’s the only option, I’ll have to take it sooner rather than later, but we are trying to bring players in with Premiership experience and we are having to wait to get the right one. Why? Perhaps he means a Riise/Bridge type of deal where we must wait until a player becomes surplus?