Newcastle United and Sunderland - One and the same?

NSG

Idea nicked from RTG

Whilst it is our obligation as supporters of NUFC to belittle the mackems as often as we can the historical fact remains that both clubs are one and the same.

Both are very famous clubs; both are in theory very well supported clubs; both are very famous English clubs and both are loved with a passion that is rare to find in world football - bearing in mind that both are relatively unsuccessful in the modern era.

We have a lot to be proud of in the North East of England - and 2 very famous and traditional football clubs are a very big part of this....or not?

In my view, no other teams in the country would get the attendances that we do given our lack of silverwear. Would Man U or Arsenal got 70k if they didn't win trophies year in, year out?

Would they fuck.

Football is alive and kicking in the North East and it's great to see, and it's brilliant for the region.

Late 1980s early 1990s maybe, since then though, we're completely different. We've competed for honours, became well-known on the continent, signed top-class players. Sunderland have jumped between the Premiership and second-tier.

Will that change in the next few years if they keep spending as they are?

Late 1980s early 1990s maybe, since then though, we're completely different. We've competed for honours, became well-known on the continent, signed top-class players. Sunderland have jumped between the Premiership and second-tier.

Not if they keep spending it on dross. More likely to do a Leeds.

Not if the standard of players they are buying doesn't improve  :lol: :lol:

All depends on Premiership survival really. My heart and my head says they'll go down.

Not if they keep spending it on dross. More likely to do a Leeds.

Exactly what I was going to say, how much have they spent again and how many players of proven premiership quality have they got for this money? My last count is NONE unless I am forgetting someone!

Birmingham have spent much much better (even if Mido was £2m overpriced...but so too was Chopra). Mido, Kapo, O'Connor, Parnaby...all solid signings. P*ss all over the signings Keane has made. My bet for this season will be for Bruce to finish ahead of Keane.

Birmingham have spent much much better (even if Mido was £2m overpriced...but so too was Chopra). Mido, Kapo, O'Connor, Parnaby...all solid signings. P*ss all over the signings Keane has made. My bet for this season will be for Bruce to finish ahead of Keane.

I would go along with that, they had better quality in the team to start with and as you said have bought better.

Man Utd and Arsenal would still get massive attendances even if they were not winning things. Up until last year Man Utd had only won the league once in five seasons, yet they were still selling out every week. Arsenal have had a poor two years yet they still sell out easily.

Man Utd and Arsenal don't require a loyal support, they just have the massive shear number of supporters were unlikely to ever have.

Man Utd and Arsenal would still get massive attendances even if they were not winning things. Up until last year Man Utd had only won the league once in five seasons, yet they were still selling out every week. Arsenal have had a poor two years yet they still sell out easily.

Man Utd and Arsenal don't require a loyal support, they just have the massive shear number of supporters were unlikely to ever have.

It's one thing to "not win things" and still be a challenger in the league, the cups and europe. If Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal sat in mid-table for a few years on the trot without getting close to success their 'support' would rapidly diminish. Those fans who make the long trip from other parts of the UK and Ireland to games would be far less inclined to make it when their club has far less to play for. They'd become a lot more reliant on their local support. When you go somewhere like Anfield it's shocking how many fans are from the rest of Britain and Ireland, yet you go to St James' Park and the vast, vast majority are people from the local area.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

It's fucking blasphemy to compare us to those useless cunts.

Shame on you NSG.

slight difference to the 38 years that we have had to wait and it will probably extend a few more years yet, that would test the mancs resolve.

Man United's support wouldnt drop that much if they weren't winning things.

The club has had the highest average attendance in English football in all but six seasons since 1964-65.

And that includes being relegated and not winning the league for 26 years.

Arsenal are another matter since half their stadium seems to be filled with corparates.

Since when have Sunderland been getting high attendances when they've been doing bad?

25,000 when they were bottom of the Championship isn't the worst attendance I've seen. Other than the "big four" and Newcastle, can't see any other Premiership club getting those gates.

lets see how they'd turn up with 30 odd years of no trophies,the vast majority of it being being a poor standard of football with the board not being able (willing ?) to raise the standards............i don't think man utd or arsenal would sell out and have such massive crowds under the circumstances we have found ourselves.

note......i never said they wouldnt have support as good as ours,i well remember the days when our home crowds were marginally better than the leicesters,QPR's and wolves of this world and only our travelling support (like the mackems it has to said) marked us above the rest.

Since when have Sunderland been getting high attendances when they've been doing bad?

25,000 when they were bottom of the Championship isn't the worst attendance I've seen. Other than the "big four" and Newcastle, can't see any other Premiership club getting those gates.

Man City got 30,000 in the 3rd division. Forest get 20,000 and so will Leeds.

Even Norwich get 25,000 in the championship.

Man City got 30,000 in the 3rd division. Forest get 20,000 and so will Leeds.

Even Norwich get 25,000 in the championship.

:thup: