Players that could (should?) have been great?

Guest Knightrider

How the f*** can you compare Owen to Messi :lol:

In terms of hype perhaps and speculation around his talent? Never compared their ability, different players for a start. Owen was an exciting prospect when he was 18, not just at home but abroad due to his goal at the WC and the expansion of the Premiership into more foreign homes.

Don't think anyone ever thought Owen was going to ultimately be the best player in the world though, which most believe Messi is destined to be.

HTT again comparing players to Ronaldo who have no right to be.

2J again getting his nob stuck in Ronaldo's arse.

I haven't compared anyone to Ronaldo, not the Brazilian Ronaldo anyway if that's who you thought my Ginola comment was aimed at.

Then you obviously should have put Cristiano down to avoid all of the confusion really. ;)

Anyone who has saw Commando and has heard the Girl George comment will no doubt know what I'm talking about.

Commando as in the Arnie film? If so, refresh my memory. :lol:

If not, whatcha on about?

*Boy George music is on.*

John Matrix and I quote "They should have called him Girl George, it would have cut down all the confusion."

Don't recall it, and I used to love that film.  :-[

Guest Knightrider

How the f*** can you compare Owen to Messi :lol:

In terms of hype perhaps and speculation around his talent? Never compared their ability, different players for a start. Owen was an exciting prospect when he was 18, not just at home but abroad due to his goal at the WC and the expansion of the Premiership into more foreign homes.

Don't think anyone ever thought Owen was going to ultimately be the best player in the world though, which most believe Messi is destined to be.

Best striker/goalscorer though? And lets not forget, the Internet and over exposure of footy on TV has helped Messi's claims a great deal, not to mention playing for one of the greatest teams on Earth. Owen at 18 was just as exciting and as big a prospect, if not for different reasons.

Guest Knightrider

De La Pena.

I'll raise ya - Luis Enrique?

I'd say he more than fulfilled his ability when he went to Barca.

Maybe, he was a great player for them and in Spain, but he had the ability to be a world name. Loved watching him as a player, him, De La Pena and Guardiola another fine player.

Agree with HTT on the Owen hype. Christ, he still lives off it to this day. People thought he was going to be 'it'. Maybe not the best player going, but certainly the best striker/goal scorer, not 'one of' the best, but thee best. 

(He's not one of the best either, for the record)

Guest Knightrider

Agree with HTT on the Owen hype.  Christ, he still lives off it to this day.

I think people forget about the hype around him when he was 18 and after THAT goal. It was mega, especially considering there was no Youtube and 24-7 blanket coverage. He along with beckham were England's poster boys, did anyone see the reception those two got in Asia during the 2002 World Cup? You'd think they were the biggest stars there.

Also, when he was 18, he scored something like 18 goals for Liverpool in one season, become England's youngest scorer, and used to whizz past players as if they weren't there for both club and country. People talk about Messi's ability to get past players, to excite, no different to Owen at the same age.

IMO we overrate foreign players a lot here in the UK, especially ones we probably haven't seen up close and personal live.

Agree with HTT on the Owen hype.  Christ, he still lives off it to this day.

I think people forget about the hype around him when he was 18 and after THAT goal. It was mega, especially considering there was no Youtube and 24-7 blanket coverage. He along with beckham were England's poster boys, did anyone see the reception those two got in Asia during the 2002 World Cup? You'd think they were the biggest stars there.

Also, when he was 18, he scored something like 18 goals for Liverpool in one season, become England's youngest scorer, and used to whizz past players as if they weren't there for both club and country. People talk about Messi's ability to get past players, to excite, no different to Owen at the same age.

IMO we overrate foreign players a lot here in the UK, especially ones we probably haven't seen up close and personal live.

I'd say it's the exact opposite and overrate our own something rotten.

Agree with HTT on the Owen hype. Christ, he still lives off it to this day.

There's a lot of overrating done now. We're as bad for the Brits, as the media, thus then the people, overrate our own players something rotten. You've just mentioned the two prime suspects of the last decade.

There's no average, good, brilliant anymore. It's just shite or world/top class.

Guest Knightrider

Ronaldo still should have went down as a challenger for Greatest of all time if it wasn't for injuries, his lifestyle and bad management and motivation.

I was in two minds as to whether I should include him but was concerned about drawing your wrath and err, being laughed at... again ;)

Seriously, for all of what he has achieved and all the goals he's scored, you just know if it weren't for those injuries he'd have achieved even more which is quite scary when you think about it and while different players and different careers, I'd say he's in the same bracket as Gazza in that respect as someone you'll look back on and think "we only ever really saw him at his best for a short while". Sad.

Agree with HTT on the Owen hype. Christ, he still lives off it to this day.

I'd say it's the exact opposite and overrate our own something rotten.

It's both. There's no denying the 'English man scores a stunning goal gets an applaud, Brazilian/Agentinian scores the exact same, we hear about it for weeks' saying is true.

We just overrate full stop.