Players that could (should?) have been great?

Guest Knightrider

Billy Kenny was Steven Gerrard about ten years earlier.

Unfortunately for him he was in with the wrong crowd and after an injury lay off got heavily on the booze and drugs and ending up robbing from the training ground. Sad. He's still only in his 30's now and plays for local amateur teams on a Sunday.

I take it he was a Scouser?

Guest tonydixon

Ronaldo and Fabregas do get over rated in this country by knobheads who get too excited when they score against 34 year old defenders for Bolton and go \"omg he da best playa i ever seen like\". A player who is under rated in this country now is Ronaldinho, everyone thinks he\'s s*** because he had a bad drop of form last year.

disagreed with verything you said there

Billy Kenny was Steven Gerrard about ten years earlier.

Unfortunately for him he was in with the wrong crowd and after an injury lay off got heavily on the booze and drugs and ending up robbing from the training ground. Sad. He's still only in his 30's now and plays for local amateur teams on a Sunday.

I take it he was a Scouser?

Yes :lol:

He dominated the midfield in a derby against Liverpool when he was a teenager about '92/93

Think he played semi-regular for a season, everybody raved about him as the next big thing and then he got injured

Another one to add to my previous list is Real Madrid's Raul. Shot to fame at such a young age but is now struggling to keep his place in the side.

If we're talking about general underachieving rather than failing to be an all time great, what about the recent trio of Kieron Dyer, Jermaine Jenas and Craig Bellamy. They all promised so much at a young age but all have failed to achieve success. Bellamy and Dyer blatantly due to injury troubles and disciplinary problems and Jermaine Jenas just lacked the quality needed to cut it at the highest level.

Another one to add to my previous list is Real Madrid's Raul. Shot to fame at such a young age but is now struggling to keep his place in the side.

If we're talking about general underachieving rather than failing to be an all time great, what about the recent trio of Kieron Dyer, Jermaine Jenas and Craig Bellamy. They all promised so much at a young age but all have failed to achieve success. Bellamy and Dyer blatantly due to injury troubles and disciplinary problems and Jermaine Jenas just lacked the quality needed to cut it at the highest level.

Ditto for Del Piero at Juve.

Burst onto the scene then just sort of plateaued/faded and could have been true greats.

Ditto for Del Piero at Juve.

Burst onto the scene then just sort of plateaued/faded and could have been true greats.

Overrated by so many like Fowler after his injury in the same way Fowler still was after his.

From NUFC I reckon Geoff Allen would have been one of the best Left wingers in the game - only older fans will remember him.

He was a bit of a late developer, really blossoming aged 21 against Feyenoord in our first Fairs Cup game at SJP- he took Van Der Heide, Feyenoord's international right back, to the cleaners that night ; his twists & turns, acceleration & crossing were the architects of our amazing 4-0 win.

He was hammered down by Peter Hindley, Notts Forest R/back at the City ground not much later that season - the side were winning 4-1, and Hindley couldn't cope with Allen.

His Cruciate ligaments were damaged(a'la Gazzer), and in 1968, that was it.

He tried to come back at least twice, but it was no good - 20 years later, it could have been different..

Went to his Testimonial and he still looked great that night, but he was in real pain after every game.

Joe Harvey always said it was the club's greatest loss.

Ronaldo and Fabregas do get over rated in this country by knobheads who get too excited when they score against 34 year old defenders for Bolton and go \"omg he da best playa i ever seen like\". A player who is under rated in this country now is Ronaldinho, everyone thinks he\'s s*** because he had a bad drop of form last year.

disagreed with verything you said there

I can see where he's coming from, but I don't agree with it. Well, maybe the part about Ronaldinho, I'm sick of people saying that he's been shit.

Anyway, great sig :lol: