Baines rejects Mackems

Decky

What on earth is going on with our transfers??? A blind monkey could have told you we needed a left back 6 months ago!! Why have we still not got one? We are not going to be able to magically create a left back out of thin air and so when one is on the market why are we letting the mackems have him?

Im not saying he is the ideal player but we are getting towards a position of utter desperation in the full back areas. It doesnt matter one bit if you have good centre backs if the full backs are as retarded as babayaro and carr.

Guest firetotheworks

Got a feeling that 7m we bid was for Baines but Whelan wouldnt allow it. Only a gut feeling of course.

Anyone who'd sooner have Ramage ahead of a fully-fit Babayaro want their f*cking head examined. For all of Babayaro's faults, he's still 100x better than that b*llock.

I agree, Ramage doesn't have any outstanding abilities as a footballer. I see Babayaro as a poor to average Premiership full back with serious injury problems, whereas I don't even see Ramage as a Premiership quality player at all.

Guest Guinness

As I've said before I'll begin to worry if we don't bid for Baines and then nothing materialises shortly. I really don't like the thought of starting the season without a left back.

Anyone who'd sooner have Ramage ahead of a fully-fit Babayaro want their f*cking head examined. For all of Babayaro's faults, he's still 100x better than that b*llock.

I agree, Ramage doesn't have any outstanding abilities as a footballer. I see Babayaro as a poor to average Premiership full back with serious injury problems, whereas I don't even see Ramage as a Premiership quality player at all.

A more polite way of putting it I suppose.

Guest Knightrider

N'Zogbia did start out his career at left-back...

As for Baines, just because he's better than what we have and we all rate and would like to see him here, that doesn't mean the manager ought to be signing players he clearly doesn't rate, thinks is too expensive or isn't the kind of left-back he wants at the club, and we have to accept that and trust his judgment. We can't sign every player that comes available and the manager shouldn't get flack for NOT signing Baines, he should get flack for not signing a left-back if come the end of the transfer window we haven't signed one, but there is plenty of time left to go.

Reading between the lines and listening to those who think they are in the know it seems we've had a bid accepted for Heinze, but the player doesn't really want to join us, and we've giving him a cut-off point which may or may not have passed yet, who knows.

Looking at some of the full-backs we've been linked with it seems the manager is looking at versatile players FIRST who can play in the centre too (Heinze, Beye) which is understandable given the number of players he will be looking at signing and the uncertainty over what kind of funds he has available for now.

I fully expect us to sign at least 3 players, two defenders and a midfielder, before the transfer window closes. Who - remains to be seen, but I'd guess whoever we sign will be versatile.

As for Baines, just because he's better than what we have and we all rate and would like to see him here, that doesn't mean the manager ought to be signing players he clearly doesn't rate, thinks is too expensive or isn't the kind of left-back he wants at the club, and we have to accept that and trust his judgment. We can't sign every player that comes available and the manager shouldn't get flack for NOT signing Baines, he should get flack for not signing a left-back if come the end of the transfer window we haven't signed one, but there is plenty of time left to go.

Reading between the lines and listening to those who think they are in the know it seems we've had a bid accepted for Heinze, but the player doesn't really want to join us, and we've giving him a cut-off point which may or may not have passed yet, who knows.

Looking at some of the full-backs we've been linked with it seems the manager is looking at versatile players FIRST who can play in the centre too (Heinze, Beye) which is understandable given the number of players he will be looking at signing and the uncertainty over what kind of funds he has available for now.

I fully expect us to sign at least 3 players, two defenders and a midfielder, before the transfer window closes. Who - remains to be seen, but I'd guess whoever we sign will be versatile.

Yeah, I agree with that. The first paragraph in particular. It's ok signing someone on the cheap if they're better than what we have as they will provide decent cover should a better player then be signed but getting in a full-back just because he is better than what we have and is available at the sort of price being quoted for Baines is not the way forward. I think he's a good player though but it's more important for Allardyce to the players he wants. And £6million has been quoted for Heinze too, and I know who I'd rather have.

We can't sign every player that comes available and the manager shouldn't get flack for NOT signing Baines, he should get flack for not signing a left-back if come the end of the transfer window we haven't signed one, but there is plenty of time left to go.

- If the left-back we sign isn't as good as Baines, and Allardyce didn't want Baines, then yes he deserves criticism for it. Especially if he pays a similar amount for someone like Shorey and he does turn out to be a one-hit wonder.

Guest Knightrider

Yeah, I agree with that. The first paragraph in particular. It's ok signing someone on the cheap if they're better than what we have as they will provide decent cover should a better player then be signed but getting in a full-back just because he is better than what we have and is available at the sort of price being quoted for Baines is not the way forward. I think he's a good player though but it's more important for Allardyce to the players he wants. And £6million has been quoted for Heinze too, and I know who I'd rather have.

Same here, Heinze is one of the best left-backs in Europe on his day and equally adept in central defence. Although Baines would probably prove a more better long-term investment. I rate both highly but short-term, Heinze is sheer class on his day and you can't beat that. With Baines, as good as he is already, there is an awful lot for him still to do to become a top left-back in the class of Heinze and Bridge et al.