Baines rejects Mackems

Decky

Guest Knightrider

We can't sign every player that comes available and the manager shouldn't get flack for NOT signing Baines, he should get flack for not signing a left-back if come the end of the transfer window we haven't signed one, but there is plenty of time left to go.

- If the left-back we sign isn't as good as Baines, and Allardyce didn't want Baines, then yes he deserves criticism for it. Especially if he pays a similar amount for someone like Shorey and he does turn out to be a one-hit wonder.

Better in who's eyes though? Just because YOU think Baines is better than this, for arguments sake, none Baines left-back Big Sam brings in, means nowt really as it's the manager who's views count. After all, he has to work with the player everyday.

This is such a stupid point, we may as well take such a view with all signings then. "That Viduka... why didn't we sign such and such instead"

Hindsightastic, something the manager doesn't have to assist him.

Guest Knightrider

Heinze was one of the best left backs before he got injured, he's been piss poor since.

He has, that can't be denied like. Looks a shadow of his former self.

I think he's still a canny player like. Better suited to centre-half since the injury perhaps. Lost a bit of pace.

Guest Guinness

We can't sign every player that comes available and the manager shouldn't get flack for NOT signing Baines, he should get flack for not signing a left-back if come the end of the transfer window we haven't signed one, but there is plenty of time left to go.

- If the left-back we sign isn't as good as Baines, and Allardyce didn't want Baines, then yes he deserves criticism for it. Especially if he pays a similar amount for someone like Shorey and he does turn out to be a one-hit wonder.

I don't really agree with the before the transfer window closes stuff. While I can understand waiting to sign a potentially better player who may or may not become available before the end of the transfer window, I don't think we're in a position to do so. As things stand we have no natural left back going into the season with Babayaro as poor as he is out injured. I think we need to fill this void before the start of the season otherwise every team we play will aim to exploit it. IMO if Baines is available we should be in for him unless we are expecting a breakthrough elsewhere very shortly.

Better in who's eyes though? Just because YOU think Baines is better than this, for arguments sake, none Baines left-back Big Sam brings in, means nowt really as it's the manager who's views count. After all, he has to work with the player everyday.

This is such a stupid point, we may as well take such a view with all signings then. "That Viduka... why didn't we sign such and such instead"

I remember at the start of last season people having a go at Roeder for signing Sibierski on a Free and not going for Hasslebaink. Viduka is totally different though. How many better Bosmans were out there who can do his job better than him, that would come to us? If we signed Shorey for £6m and ignored Baines for the same price, when I'd say about 8 out of 10 know who's the better one and better value anyway, and Baines goes on to do well while Shorey struggles, then the buck stops at Allardyce. If we try to sign Baines, miss out, and then sign Shorey, then fair enough.

Guest Knightrider

I remember at the start of last season people having a go at Roeder for signing Sibierski on a Free and not going for Hasslebaink. Viduka is totally different though. How many better Bosmans were out there who can do his job better than him, that would come to us? If we signed Shorey for £6m and ignored Baines for the same price, when I'd say about 8 out of 10 know who's the better one and better value anyway, and Baines goes on to do well while Shorey struggles, then the buck stops at Allardyce. If we try to sign Baines, miss out, and then sign Shorey, then fair enough.

You are kind of whinging at him NOW based on speculation in the future, daft.

I'm not whinging at all. I'm just saying that if we don't go for Baines, and whoever we sign isn't as good as him, then Allardyce has to take the blame. If he gets someone like Heinze, and it doesn't work out, then that would be fine because we tried to get someone better. I can't see us getting better than Baines though.

its all well and good saying 'give it time trust sam', but if we come out of this transfer window and have not signed at the very very minimium 3 more defenders then I will question allardyces ability to take the club any further than the previous managers. All who have gone before him in recent years have said the same thing when they walk in the door "we need a better defence" and then it turns into 'oh we will just buy this striker first....then this midfielder....then a winger we dont need...then a few utility players' and our biggest failing continues to go unresolved.

Also, I personally don't want to see players coming in for the defence and we say oh its ok he can play at fullback, used to do it for the under 12s but hes a centre back now. I want someone who is proven to play at left back and for them to be bought for this purpose, not someone who one week will play centre back and then next week fill in for babayaro who has gone and sprained a finger nail breakdancing in blu bambu.

Frustrated we arent in for Baines, as most. Have watched him alot the past two years and he was suprisingly defensively solid at the U21's. He is definatley improving all round.

But maybe Whelan wont sell him to us, Sam doesnt fancy him or we have other options, either way I have full faith that Allardyce will get in someone better.

Although past experience teaches us to believe it when we see it, Allardyce has done a great job so far with the squad reshaping, he/we both know we are not even half way there yet. We just have to be patient.

Judge him after the window slams shut. I wont worry until the last day of the window.

Guest brewer

I think he's still a canny player like. Better suited to centre-half since the injury perhaps. Lost a bit of pace.

He's an even worse centre back than fullback.

Can't say I've ever rated him that highly tbh, even when everyone was saying he's superb a few years ago.

Guest pont-toon

we have slim of hope.Some club made a bid for Taiwo according to French Media

you've been holding on to some hope of signing this fella for a while now swissmag, presumably you rate him highly?

werent valencia interested in him recently ?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Baines would be a good signing for us. The height thing is a bullshit excuse.

The best Full backs have and will always be between 5'6'' and 5' 10''. Ashley Cole, Steve Finnan, Gary Neville, Wayne Bridge, Patrice Evra, Daniel Aves, Roberto Carlos............. I could go on.

The idea of defending far post crosses is a negative way of looking at the problem. If you have 2 decent full backs that stop the cross coming in or at least affect the shape of the cross you will eliminate the need to make a last ditch header.

Baines would be a fantastic signing for us, howver i believe the price is up around the 7 million mark which i dont believe Sam is prepared to spend. Shame the lad has had 2 fantastic premiership seasons, is english, is young, just the type of player we should be looking at.

Guest Morph

If Baines was a good player then there'd be more clubs after him, most notably us.  I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about him, but I'm just glad that we arent signing a player purely for the sake of doing so.

Guest optimistic nit

Frustrated we arent in for Baines, as most. Have watched him alot the past two years and he was suprisingly defensively solid at the U21's. He is definatley improving all round.

But maybe Whelan wont sell him to us, Sam doesnt fancy him or we have other options, either way I have full faith that Allardyce will get in someone better.

Although past experience teaches us to believe it when we see it, Allardyce has done a great job so far with the squad reshaping, he/we both know we are not even half way there yet. We just have to be patient.

Judge him after the window slams shut. I wont worry until the last day of the window.

why would whealan not sell him to us, but would sell him to sunderland, his positional rivals?

why would whealan not sell him to us, but would sell him to sunderland, his positional rivals?

Because Ashley grassed him up about fixing prices on shirts or something like that.

Baines would be a good signing for us. The height thing is a bullshit excuse.

The best Full backs have and will always be between 5'6'' and 5' 10''. Ashley Cole, Steve Finnan, Gary Neville, Wayne Bridge, Patrice Evra, Daniel Aves, Roberto Carlos............. I could go on.

The idea of defending far post crosses is a negative way of looking at the problem. If you have 2 decent full backs that stop the cross coming in or at least affect the shape of the cross you will eliminate the need to make a last ditch header.

Yes, except so many attacking LB's don't do this. Warren Barton didn't, Beresford didn't, Carr doesn't, Babayaro and Bernard were usually more concerned with events further up the pitch - so personally, I'm not really intersted in full backs who look great going forward only.

Depends how much he dislikes Ashley really. Selling him to Sunderland if we actually wanted him would be a nice slap in the face.

Selling him to Sunderland makes no difference to selling him to any other side, its still weakening them and pushing a bigger gap between them and other teams. If he wants out he wants out and teams like Sunderland seem willing to go the extra mile and pay more than the bigger teams would, because the bigger teams could get alot better.

Why would I play Ramage ahead of Baba?

This is why: Ramage actually looks interested when he plays. Babayaro doesn't. Ramage is better defensively than Baba. Baba is better going forward.

What are peoples beef with Ramage? Whats wrong with him?

Why would I play Ramage ahead of Baba?

This is why: Ramage actually looks interested when he plays. Babayaro doesn't. Ramage is better defensively than Baba. Baba is better going forward.

What are peoples beef with Ramage? Whats wrong with him?

agree, yes hes not exactly he best defender in the world but he trys his best and he plays well sometimes. just like people with shola!! most people shout at him and rip the p*** out of him when he trys his best and plays well most of the time