No Ashley transfer funds! Yet!

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Brazilianbob

Starting to get a little concerned that more players have not yet been signed.

From what BSA has said Ashley and Mort are a little too reticent when it comes to stumping up real money in the transfer market, preferring instead to conduct "a full review" of the club.  Surely they did that before they bought the club!

When push comes to shove, it appears to me that they haven't released any money at all for transfers, as Barton and Rozenhal were bought with the Parker money, and Viduka and Geremi were frees where there was no problem paying their wage demands as so many big earners had left the club in the summer.

I hope I am being premature with my concerns, but it has an all too familiar pattern to it, i.e. leaving it until the last week/day of the transfer window and then making panic buys because we desperately need defenders, who should have had at least 3 weeks pre-season training with their new team mates, and end up paying over the odds for average joes, or not signing anyone at all.

As  BSA said, we need a minimum of four more defensive players, and perhaps a replacement for Barton because I am damn sure he will be out longer than 6 weeks with a broken metatarsal.  Owen was out for the rest of the season and the likes of Beckham and Rooney didn't exactly rush back into action when they suffered the same injury.

I think there is money to spend, buts its about buying the players who are going to move this club a step forward, there is no point of SA doing the same thing past managers (Roeder and Souness) did and buy players just for the sake of pleasing fans just to find out that almost every single one of them was/is a flop.

what allardyce has said is that things get so far then fall,to me that reads like prices are close enough for the selling club to say you may approach the player,but the negotiation between the clubs doesn't progress.

Guest loonietoonie

I think there is money to spend, buts its about buying the players who are going to move this club a step forward, there is no point of SA doing the same thing past managers (Roeder and Souness) did and buy players just for the sake of pleasing fans just to find out that almost every single one of them was/is a flop.

spot on

Guest Brazilianbob

I know it's been said in other threads, but that was last week or the week before.  Time marches on and we are still no closer to strengthening the side.

I have this nagging feeling that Ashley/Mort have told BSA that he can't have any funds until their review is complete, but that he will have ample funds in the January transfer window, the trouble is that no one wants to sell their best players in January when their is a real risk of slipping out of the EPL, so we will be no closer to signing quality players in January either.  To my mind it is now or never.

Of course there is also the possibility that Ashley has decided not to spend a penny until he has recouped his massive outlay in purchasing the club!  Lets face it he has got the TV money for this season which amounts to about 25% of his outlay, so a bit of asset stripping here and there and he has his money back.

I know it's been said in other threads, but that was last week or the week before.  Time marches on and we are still no closer to strengthening the side.

I have this nagging feeling that Ashley/Mort have told BSA that he can't have any funds until their review is complete, but that he will have ample funds in the January transfer window, the trouble is that no one wants to sell their best players in January when their is a real risk of slipping out of the EPL, so we will be no closer to signing quality players in January either.  To my mind it is now or never.

Of course there is also the possibility that Ashley has decided not to spend a penny until he has recouped his massive outlay in purchasing the club!  Lets face it he has got the TV money for this season which amounts to about 25% of his outlay, so a bit of asset stripping here and there and he has his money back.

yet allardyce has said things reach a certain point then "fall on stony ground",you'd think that offering a selling cluba transfer fee would be the first call,if this is close then they may allow the buyer to talk to the player while a fee is finalised,it seems like this is the sticking point.

I know it's been said in other threads, but that was last week or the week before.

tbf, it's been nearly every other thread and every other post for the past few days

Because he is going to make £140m back without buying new players?

How do people think business (especially football clubs) work? If we don't invest in players and have a shite season he is going to lose money not make any of that £140m back!

Because he is going to make £140m back without buying new players?

How do people think business (especially football clubs) work? If we don't invest in players and have a s**** season he is going to lose money not make any of that £140m back!

Exactly, Ashley will only start making money off this club if he sets it up in the right way, buys the right players and Newcastle perform on the pitch. If we make the Champions League and start winning trophies, Ashley makes money - FACT!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Listening to the Arsenal people today talking about how they want to stay as they are it raised the point that these people will want their pound of flesh, Ashley is no difference.

The initial outlay may be a lot but they are going to want a return on their money. I think Ashley will invest big but if he dosnt get results and quickly (3 years) i can see him wanting to move on

If anybody thinks that Mort is going to cut short his review then they are probably going to be disappointed, do a Google on the bloke and check some of the work he's done in the past, he doesn't cut corners.

If anybody thinks that Mort is going to cut short his review then they are probably going to be disappointed, do a Google on the bloke and check some of the work he's done in the past, he doesn't cut corners.

do you think the failure to get in players so far is down to the review ?

Listening to the Arsenal people today talking about how they want to stay as they are it raised the point that these people will want their pound of flesh, Ashley is no difference.

The initial outlay may be a lot but they are going to want a return on their money. I think Ashley will invest big but if he dosnt get results and quickly (3 years) i can see him wanting to move on

I don't think anyone is under the impression Ashley is here just for the craic, most people with a brain in their head will know he is here to make money and the only way he is going to do that is to make us a success. Thats not going to happen if he doesn't give us any money.

do you think the failure to get in players so far is down to the review ?

I think it probably has something to do with it, I also think we have some money to spend but not as much as we would probably have once they understood the state of the club, that's just a guess.

Guest Emmet

I totally agree mate. The Barton situation is a worry cos them metatarsal injuries can sideline players for alot longer than the "6 weeks" the club spin doctors are spouting. And without jumping straight on the back of the new board, who do deserve the time to carry out their review of the club, if we dont sign the required "4 players" - BSA, then we will see club going into this season in exactly the same predicament as they entered last seasons campaign with, namely a paper thin squad ill equipped to even last until january never mind a whole season.

I think the Barton timescale is optimistic but people do seem to be comparing it to others who have BROKEN their metatarsal (sp?) rather than the partial fracture Barton has suffered.

Guest shaun11177

I dont see how this review affects transfer money. I can tell him now there isnt any money in the coffers and im sure he knew that before buying the club. This review can be done after 31st August.

Where are all these foreign players we thought Sam had tucked up his sleeve?

Are they starving Sam of funds because they dont really want him here?

Mort said the club must reduce its debt and the key to that is the wage total, that to me is the stumbling block-nevertheless the Baines situation is utterly baffling.

No matter what the outcome of the review, we still need four quality defenders - fact!

Ashley really needs to get his arse in gear because at the moment it seems we're struggling to even get one.

I dont see how this review affects transfer money. I can tell him now there isnt any money in the coffers and im sure he knew that before buying the club. This review can be done after 31st August.

Ashley isn't gonna put any money into the club until the review is complete, any decent businessman would be the same in all other businesses. In other words, you do some research before you invest, Ashley wants thing perfect before he starts churning out millions.

Ashley isn't gonna put any money into the club until the review is complete, any decent businessman would be the same in all other businesses. In other words, you do some research before you invest, Ashley wants thing perfect before he starts churning out millions.

wouldn't be so sure,is it smart business sense to allow the business to slip further back against it's competitors whilst carrying out a review (whatever the outcome of the review it's pretty obvious where improvments need to be made)especially when the time allotted for makind improvements is so narrow.