Sam Interview

SUPERTOON

His report to Ashley (in my personal opinion) will all be about "where the club is in the football world" / "where can it realistically be in the football world" / "what do we need to do to get there, and when can we get there" / AND ALL THE FINANCIAL DATA TO BACK IT UP.  This sort of thing determines investment types and levels.

Takes time does that, examining data and information on football clubs (football businesses) from all around the UK and Europe (possibly the world).

Isn't that the sort of thing you'd do BEFORE spending £140m?

Not true I'm afraid.

Ashley bought the club without any period of due diligence if my memory serves me correct.

I'm sure he's used Google before, try a search for "newcastle united financial results," even I can see the financial state of the club so I'm sure they could have done it.

The strategic review is a smokescreen I wish people would stop mentioning it....It means nothing.

There has to be a reason why we ("but not at the moment") are not buying the players we need (at his time) to fill the obvious gaps in the team.

People can give many reasons for this, but the only one that I can see that is credible, is the one I mention.

Why do you see this only credible (logical) reason, as a smokescreen?

A smokescreen for WHAT?

Ashley would have known the bottom line before he bought the club. He doesn't need to wait for people to count pencils and paper clips.

Parky, I agree wholeheartedy with that.

However, that is not what the (strategic) review will be about.  That sort of thing is 'low level'. What Mort will be doing is high level stuff.

His report to Ashley (in my personal opinion) will all be about "where the club is in the football world" / "where can it realistically be in the football world" / "what do we need to do to get there, and when can we get there" / AND ALL THE FINANCIAL DATA TO BACK IT UP.  This sort of thing determines investment types and levels.

Takes time does that, examining data and information on football clubs (football businesses) from all around the UK and Europe (possibly the world).

Speculation (on all of that sort of thing) takes TEN MINUTES (or less). You and I could do that!

But, real research and evidence and data and provable analysis  -  takes a LOT longer.

Oh, and there will be a 'procedural review' into paperclips type-of-thing, going on at the same time, no doubt!!

wouldn't a "football" man be better at assessing this than a sports lawyer ?

Mort is running / leading the review, he is not 'doing' it all.  Who he is using (football man/men, or whoever) I do not know. But he will be using his (Ashley's) "people" - which are likely to include the mentioned . . .

I would!!

But . . . . I am not a Billionaire as a result of my methods!

The strategic review is a smokescreen I wish people would stop mentioning it....It means nothing.

There has to be a reason why we ("but not at the moment") are not buying the players we need (at his time) to fill the obvious gaps in the team.

People can give many reasons for this, but the only one that I can see that is credible, is the one I mention.

A smokescreen for WHAT?

Ashley would have known the bottom line before he bought the club. He doesn't need to wait for people to count pencils and paper clips.

However, that is not what the (strategic) review will be about.  That sort of thing is 'low level'. What Mort will be doing is high level stuff.

His report to Ashley (in my personal opinion) will all be about "where the club is in the football world" / "where can it relistically be in the football world" / "what do we need to do to get there, and when can we get there" / AND ALL THE FINANCIAL DATA TO BACK IT UP.

Speculation (on all of that sort of thing) takes TEN MINUTES (or less). You and I could do that!

But, real research and evidence and data and provable analysis  -  takes a LOT longer.

Oh, and there will be a 'procedural review' into paperclips type-of-thing, going on at the same time, no doubt!!

We're on the same page right?  blueyes.gif

My point is that this review doesn't stop us at this point being aggressive in the market.

The two things aren't intrinsically linked, people have picked up on it as there aren't too many other clues.

I think they are very linked.

A "Strategic Review" is to decide strategy.

Strategy 1 - Dont invest!

Strategy 2 - INVEST!

Action will not (CAN not) happen, until it is concluded.

Strategic reviews by their very nature are medium to long term profile and risk assesment instruments that lay a footprint of strategies. They have nothing to do with not buying or buying a couple of defenders.

I thought due diligence had been carried out by Belgravia/Polygon and Ashley was made aware of those findings?

Honestly, I do not think that is how it works.

Neither did I, tbh, but I'm sure it was mentioned at the time of the initial takeover bid.

A smokescreen for WHAT?

However, that is not what the (strategic) review will be about.  That sort of thing is 'low level'. What Mort will be doing is high level stuff.

His report to Ashley (in my personal opinion) will all be about "where the club is in the football world" / "where can it relistically be in the football world" / "what do we need to do to get there, and when can we get there" / AND ALL THE FINANCIAL DATA TO BACK IT UP.

But, real research and evidence and data and provable analysis  -  takes a LOT longer.

We're on the same page right?  blueyes.gif

My point is that this review doesn't stop us at this point being aggressive in the market.

The two things aren't intrinsically linked, people have picked up on it as there aren't too many other clues.

I think they are very linked.

A "Strategic Review" is to decide strategy.

Strategy 1 - Dont invest!

Strategy 2 - INVEST!

Action will not (CAN not) happen, until it is concluded.

Strategic reviews by their very nature are medium to long term profile and risk assesment instruments that lay a footprint of strategies. They have nothing to do with not buying or buying a couple of defenders.

OK then, do you think Sam should buy a slice of bread and dripping this week, when he could hopefully (and he is aware of this) be in a position to buy a ton of fillet steak NEXT week?

I would!!

So he'll recklessly throw £140m away (and take on the debt), but wont spend ~£5m on a left back which anyone is could tell him we need until a complete review has taken place? This is the only credible (logical) argument you've come up with?

I would!!

So he'll recklessly throw £140m away (and take on the debt), but wont spend ~£5m on a left back which anyone is could tell him we need until a complete review has taken place? This is the only credible (logical) argument you've come up with?

Same as I said to Parky, really.  Do you think Sam should buy a slice of bread and dripping this week, when he could hopefully (and he is aware of this) be in a position to buy a ton of fillet steak NEXT week?

I would!!

Same as I said to Parky, really.  Do you think Sam should buy a slice of bread and dripping this week, when he could hopefully (and he is aware of this) be in a position to buy a ton of fillet steak NEXT week?

I think you've misunderstood what medium and long term mean. We're talking from one year to 18 months and then again 4 to 5 years. That is what the review is about making a long term structure. It has no bearing on getting in for £3m def this week.

Q WHERE ARE NEWCASTLE IN THAT EQUATION?

A: You look at Fulham and they have spent £20m, Wigan have spent £10m, Portsmouth have spent £20m, West Ham £20m and Spurs £30m. Newcastle would normally deal at this level but not at the moment but hopefully we will have the ability to do it again.

that can be looked at in oh so many ways!

Have any of those clubs bar Spurs, bought anyone who would really have wanted though? Portsmouth got Distin but he was past the post by the time Allardyce got here. The reason he isn't here has more to do with past failings than present.

That's not really the point though is it?

I don't think anyone is expecting Sunderland and Fulham to bring in the sort of players we have in the past.

In the past we were playing in Europe not struggling in mid-table. It's a bit unrealistic to expect us to compete with Liverpool or even Spurs right now.

Remind me again where we came in the league the season before we signed Owen, Luque, Emre, Solano and Parker.

Only Owen out of that lot is a top tier player. He came because there were no better options available. Don't think it would be different for any of the others mentioned there either. We were competing with Everton for Emre and Parker, no one for Solano and Luque far as I'm aware.

A: You look at Fulham and they have spent £20m, Wigan have spent £10m, Portsmouth have spent £20m, West Ham £20m and Spurs £30m. Newcastle would normally deal at this level but not at the moment but hopefully we will have the ability to do it again.

Have any of those clubs bar Spurs, bought anyone who would really have wanted though? Portsmouth got Distin but he was past the post by the time Allardyce got here. The reason he isn't here has more to do with past failings than present.

I don't think anyone is expecting Sunderland and Fulham to bring in the sort of players we have in the past.

In the past we were playing in Europe not struggling in mid-table. It's a bit unrealistic to expect us to compete with Liverpool or even Spurs right now.

Remind me again where we came in the league the season before we signed Owen, Luque, Emre, Solano and Parker.

Only Owen out of that lot is a top tier player. He came because there were no better options available. Don't think it would be different for any of the others mentioned there either. We were competing with Everton for Emre and Parker, no one for Solano and Luque far as I'm aware.

all of them came because there were no better options available,that includes practically every player before and since.

I would!!

I think you've misunderstood what medium and long term mean. We're talking from one year to 18 months and then again 4 to 5 years. That is what the review is about making a long term structure. It has no bearing on getting in for £3m def this week.

I appreciate what you are saying, but my judgement of Ashley (and his 'park my tanks on their front lawn' methods) is, that he likes to react quickly. So, his 'short term' strategy is being decided also.

He will react/act very quickly (I personally feel) but only when he is in possession of the information to enable him to do so  -  accurately.

It will be soon.

Who mentioned top tier?

All of those players were highly rated before the came here even though we finished 14th, I don't think for a second that we couldn't get defenders in of the same calibre if we had the money to spend.

Btw Liverpool were in for Solano although he wasn't a random player with no ties to the club.

I would!!

I appreciate what you are saying, but my judgement of Ashley (and his 'park my tanks on their front lawn' methods) is, that he likes to react quickly. So, his 'short term' strategy is being decided also.

He will react/act very quickly (I personally feel) but only when he is in possession of the information to enable him to do so  -  accurately.

It will be soon.

I agree and we have to also bear in mind that he is learning on the job...However he is a fast and proactive learner. I'm actually fascinated to see what business novelties he'll bring to the football club environment.

I thought due diligence had been carried out by Belgravia/Polygon and Ashley was made aware of those findings?

Honestly, I do not think that is how it works.

Neither did I, tbh, but I'm sure it was mentioned at the time of the initial takeover bid.

Financial information, of no relevance to me and you, has to be publicly available because of the law. From that you can detemine fucking loads anyway. Due diligence is a legal requirement that you have to follow before doing anything. In more complex cases, it can help you decide. The bulk of the research on any company can be done publicly. Thats how stock markets work, on the basis of information.

In short, Parky is right.

It will be soon.

Chris Mort is working his bollocks off for the club, that's good enough for me at this time.  The club has been run unprofessionally for years, the sooner we start moving forwards the better but I'd prefer the club to move forwards while knowing where we stand and not on guess work.  If the review is holding us up for now then so be it, that will not always be the case, I see today’s developments as another sign of progress and also a sign of confidence that those running the club feel they can start to make decisions without the help of anybody.

I would!!

It will be soon.

I agree and we have to also bear in mind that he is learning on the job...However he is a fast and proactive learner. I'm actually fascinated to see what business novelties he'll bring to the football club environment.

I can't wait.  I know people are getting frustrated as we appear to be in a bit of a 'lull' at the moment. But, I think we are in for some very exciting times.

The length of time Ashley is taking to prepare and build up for whatever it is he intends to do, is very professional - in my view.

I seem to remember last December or thereabouts the books were made available to all parties who'd recorded an interest in order that they might do their research. Dunno if Ashley was one of those.

all of them came because there were no better options available,that includes practically every player before and since.

Fine. But then people need to factor this into their expectations. No we won't get Heinze ahead of Liverpool for example. No we won't rush to sign Baines just in case Sunderland get him instead. If Allardyce considered Baines good enough he'd be here already. And if he was that good Liverpool would have snapped him up instead of pursuing Heinze IMO.

It will be soon.

Chris Mort is working his bollocks off for the club, that's good enough for me at this time.  The club has been run unprofessionally for years, the sooner we start moving forwards the better but I'd prefer the club to move forwards while knowing where we stand and not on guess work.  If the review is holding us up for now then so be it, that will not always be the case, I see today’s developments as another sign of progress and also a sign of confidence that those running the club feel they can start to make decisions without the help of anybody.

Very true, as I have just said to Parky, the length of time Ashley (via Mort and his review) is taking to prepare and build up for whatever it is he intends to do, is very professional - in my view.