Woodgate voted worst (Spanish) transfer of the 21st century

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Woodgate voted worst signing of the 21st century

MADRID, July 26 (Reuters) - Soccer news in brief from around the world:

* England defender Jonathan Woodgate was voted the worst signing of the 21st century by readers of www.marca.com, the Web site for Spain's biggest selling sports daily.

The 27-year-old was the runaway winner polling 37.11 percent of the votes cast on their Web page, the newspaper said.

Real Madrid signed "Woody" from Newcastle United for around $25 million in August 2004 but because of a thigh injury he did not make his debut until September 2005.

His first official game turned into a nightmare when he scored an own goal and was sent off in the league match against Athletic Bilbao at the Bernabeu.

Woodgate was put out on loan to Premier League Middlesbrough in August 2006 and the move became permanent for a fee of $14 million earlier this year.

He made only 14 competitive appearances for Real Madrid.

Bit harsh!

Guest johnson293

How's that harsh? He was to Real Madrid, what Marcelino was to us.

Aye, and cost them over twice as much!

However, at least they got half their money back when they sold him, unlike us with Marcelino.

They certainly got their own back with Owen though :(

Did they?

£3.5m of Owen's transfer was owed money to us, so we paid £13.5m, and we got £10m back of the FA. ATM he sells for £9m at the least, i don't think its that bad compared to a total loss on someone like Luque.

As far as they are concerned yes... they got a whole load of money back for a player who has since played 13ish club games in two years. The similarities with the Woodgate deal are there.

But I agree, it wasn't that bad on us.

Did they?

£3.5m of Owen's transfer was owed money to us, so we paid £13.5m, and we got £10m back of the FA. ATM he sells for £9m at the least, i don't think its that bad compared to a total loss on someone like Luque.

How come the season we bought Owen something appears in our accounts as a £17 million overdraft?  Do we know that we were given £10 million by the FA?  I'm sure that figure was claimed to be way OTT.

Woodgate voted worst signing of the 21st century

MADRID, July 26 (Reuters) - Soccer news in brief from around the world:

* England defender Jonathan Woodgate was voted the worst signing of the 21st century by readers of www.marca.com, the Web site for Spain's biggest selling sports daily.

The 27-year-old was the runaway winner polling 37.11 percent of the votes cast on their Web page, the newspaper said.

Real Madrid signed "Woody" from Newcastle United for around $25 million in August 2004 but because of a thigh injury he did not make his debut until September 2005.

His first official game turned into a nightmare when he scored an own goal and was sent off in the league match against Athletic Bilbao at the Bernabeu.

Woodgate was put out on loan to Premier League Middlesbrough in August 2006 and the move became permanent for a fee of $14 million earlier this year.

He made only 14 competitive appearances for Real Madrid.

No I would agree with that!played 14 games for gods sake!

Bit harsh!

He was injured pretty much the whole time he was there, so its no real surprise.

He's a class player, but so is Owen and atm, Owen would go down as a pretty bad signing for us considering he's hardly played.

They certainly got their own back with Owen though :(

Did they?

You can't take that £3.5m off like that :lol: He cost £16m.

Wasn't that £10m to cover wages aswell so I don't see why that would come out of it either.

"He made only 14 competitive appearances for Real Madrid."

suprised if that is accurate!! 

I was at Rmadrid ground in feb 06 and saw him play against espanyol.  He defended pretty well, but then espanyol looked rather poor that night.

His wikipedia page has him as 9 (0) in appearances and goals... but that is certainly incorrect. Must have played a few more games, and definitely scored at least one goal (at the right end) for them.