Ashley wants Keegan back as Director Of Football

Sparks
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If this did happen, i'd like to think Allardyce was fully in agreement with it first.

I think this is the crucial point - the club AND KK have both moved on now - if Allardyce is to succeed or fail it should be under the circumstances that he personally is comfortable with.

He is already working for a new regime - it would be different if he & KK had worked together before ; however you dress it up, Director of Football means that the manager is virtually responsible to him - a tricky situation unless ALL are happy with it...

Definitely think its too late for KK to return as manager again, and as some have pointed out, there are personality problems - in addition, if Ashley wishes to develop the Academy side of things, he will find that KK is not a great believer in that - remember how he scrapped the Reserves and wound down the Youth team..? His views on younger players were the reason some left.

Chris Macmenemy said that Keegan got rid of the reserves because our squad was so small as we'd just got promoted.

Don't know where Mcmenemy is getting THAT from, Mick - it was in the summer of 96 when KK decided to scrap the Reserves because of having to play at least 6 games at SJP during a season - he said he didn't want more games on the pitch...

We got promoted in the Spring of '93........

I really don't see ANY sense in this.

Footballing knowledge at boardroom level?

People saying Allardyce won't like him above him, look at the names being linked with the same job at Arsenal. Garde & Grimandi, two players who actually played under Wenger, and ROEDER!

People saying Allardyce won't like him above him, look at the names being linked with the same job at Arsenal. Garde & Grimandi, two players who actually played under Wenger, and ROEDER!

Currently a boardroom with no football experience as well.

Exactly. I think someone like Keegan would be ideal.

Same here for the reason i listed on page 3. I also think KK will be on SA's side and would only benefit our manager to have him here.

KK doesn't want to manage again, he's said so himself. This role though might just be what he's looking for, something to care about, sink his teeth into, and i think him and SA would get on famously.

Yep, think it would be a simple system between Mort, Keegan & Allardyce. Allardyce picks a player he wants, Mort releases the cash, Keegan negociates the transfer. Don't know what people have against it.

Keegan is NOT dof material. If there is any truth in this I'm extremely worried.

Keegan is NOT dof material. If there is any truth in this I'm extremely worried.

How would you know whether he is or not?

Chain of command

Allardyce: "I want (insert name of player here)"

Mort: "Release the Keegan!"

Keegan: "You're a triffic player, this is a massive club, I would love it if you signed for us, etc. etc."

How would you know whether he is or not?

YOu only have to look at his mad ramblings, disenchantment with the game, monkey circus, white hair.....IF  there is any truth in it I see it as a fairly opaque PR gamble.

Guest Invicta_Toon

we want some football knowledge on the board so we go for someone who admits he hasn't been interested in the league for years?

it is bollocks, end of

we want some football knowledge on the board so we go for someone who admits he hasn't been interested in the league for years?

it is bollocks, end of

His job would be to negotiate transfer, not pick players, etc.

Guest Invicta_Toon

it is bollocks, end of

His job would be to negotiate transfer, not pick players, etc.

so he has to have knowledge of who is worth what nowadays don't you think. Of course he doesn't pick the team

Guest Knightrider

In theory it sounds fantastic, but would only work with Sam's blessing or backing and I'm not sure he would feel all that comfortable with someone like Keegan above him, given his ties to the club. If we were to have a bad run, you just know the idiots in our ranks would start chanting KK's name. No, if we are to bring in a Director of Football, then it has to be Sam picking and choosing who HE wants.

KK as a DOF though isn't the worst idea in the world, he knows the club, is a very good businessman in his own right, has experience, contacts and as well all know, can sell sand to Arabs.

Furthermore, his Soccer Circus idea shows he's quite an innovative guy.

For Ashley and co, it isn't hard to understand why they'd value someone like KK on board, a footballing man who understands the club and fans better than anyone, who also knows the managerial role inside out so could convey Sam's issues back to the board and the board's back to Sam.

I think there are a few things to be said here.

First, Keegan was a great manager. But what made him a great manager was his ability to select, train and motivate players, he was at his best when he was hands on day in day out. His time at Man City was similar, and in the England job, where he couldn't get that kind of time he found himself out of his depth.

I don't think Keegan wants to be a manager again though.

As a director of football in the office on a regular basis, putting in structures, managing scouting and so on he might work, if it weren't for the fact that Allardyce is our manager. Allardyce is, as far as I know, the Premiership manager most involved in that kind of thing, he doesn't need a director of football, by working with such a big staff he effectively is our director of football. So I don't see a role for Keegan there either.

As a board member he could be good though. There will come a time when serious footballing decisions have to be made, is the manager performing? should we sell a big name player? how much should we put in the transfer budget? etc. where the board needs to have an opinion other than the managers to go on. A board should always have the expertise to ask difficult questions of the executives who report to it, and right now ours doesn't. (didn't under Shepherd either). So bringing in a highly respected and knowledgable former manager to spend one or two days a month making sure everything is going well makes sense. I wouldn't mind seeing Keegan on the board, in fact I think it would be great.

As for Shearer, I think that right now Ambassador is the best role for him. A useful face for the TV cameras, and a persuasive man when it comes to bringing in new players. If he's content to do that, then that's good news. If he wants to be a manager he can finish his badges and go prove himself somewhere else. If he turns out to be brilliant he'll always be available to manage us sooner or later.

Guest Morph

I just think it would generate an unblievably 'feel good' factor around the place.  Something that can't be a bad thing, surely?  People still talk about the Keegan era at St James', it's obvious people still hold him in high regard, and I'm fairly sure it would guarantee arses on 52,300 and whatever seats at least up until christmas for every single home game regardless of the opposition.

Guest Morph

This has the hallmarks of a nightmare in the making.

Fancy some more negative input?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/newcastle/article2163815.ece

There appears little mileage in reports that Kevin Keegan will be invited back to St James Park as director of football. Ive no idea what the thoughts are in that department, but if they have a discussion with me I will make my opinions known privately, Allardyce said.

Another interesting bit:

Shepherd’s revelation that the £9 million escape clause in Owen’s contract - the existence of which he initially denied - deactivates at the end of this month is understood to be incorrect. It expired on June 30.