Asprilla: success or failure for NUFC?

Guest Invicta_Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I love Tino probably more than most other players that have played for us.

Arriving in the snow, iconic. Doing so well on his debut, bringing a bit of flair and trickery. Those goals against Barca.

As far as I'm concerned that's success... the man's a legend!

Oh, he turned up sometimes. He was certainly frustratingly inconsistent, but on his day he was one of the best players I ever saw in black and white. His unpredictability was thrilling and maddening in equal measure -- he'd do things that the opposition would never expect, but the rest of our side weren't expecting either. His talent only worked when the team adapted to him, and he wasn't very good at adapting to the team... which is why I remarked earlier that he was best when he was playing upfront alone and without responsibility to anyone else.

I was only seven the night he scored that hat-trick at SJP, it's something I'll never forget. I'll be honest though, at that age, I hardly knew who he was. Of course I remember the Ferdinand's and Shearer's of that time - but looking back the only memory I have of him in the league was him scoring against the Smoggies and my uncle blaming him for us losing the title!

I was only seven the night he scored that hat-trick at SJP, it's something I'll never forget. I'll be honest though, at that age, I hardly knew who he was. Of course I remember the Ferdinand's and Shearer's of that time - but looking back the only memory I have of him in the league was him scoring against the Smoggies and my uncle blaming him for us losing the title!

:dowie: how do you remember Ferdinand but not Tino?

one of those players who come around once in a blue moon in my mind always had class.

Got our money back for him when sold back to where he came from and Barcelona match will always standout  as one of best nights for B&W apart from Moncur banging goals in against Ujpest Doza with Alan Weeks comentating.

Cost us the title - failure.

He never cost us the title though.

The likes of Ferdinand, Lee and Ginola (after the Arsenal cup game) couldn't keep up the form they showed in the first half of the season. Also the injury of Gillespie meant we weren't as balanced. That cost us the title.

Guest HatchBach

Difficult to say - that night v Barcelona is something I will never forget. Also I have one of his worn champions league shirt, so success :razz:

He never cost us the title though.

The likes of Ferdinand, Lee and Ginola (after the Arsenal cup game) couldn't keep up the form they showed in the first half of the season. Also the injury of Gillespie meant we weren't as balanced. That cost us the title.

Nobbled against ManUre if I recall correctly.

Plus we had the backlog of fixtures to contend with.  Imagine ManUre playing four matches in the last eight days of that season.  Fergusons purple nose would have blown up.

The media always talk about Asprilla and Batty coming in and spoiling the shape of the team when they were arguably two of the better performers in the latter part of the season.  Asprilla was a great entertaining player while he was here but couldn't form any real partnerhips as nobody knew what he was going to do next, and has been mentioned we got the cash back on the transfer so you couldn't really say he was a failure.  Silvio Maric was a failure.  Andreas Anderssssssonnnn was a failure.  Luque was a failure.  Asprilla - no chance.