Asprilla: success or failure for NUFC?

Guest Invicta_Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

I loved the bloke me like.

It should also be noted that he scored a cracker against Sheff Wed and also that Keegan wasnt the manager when we beat Barca.

I say success.

Was that the left footed Karate Kid kick he scored from outside the box? Cross coming in from the right wing?

Metz at home or that lovely chip against West Ham were my favourite Tino goals. Look at the way he controlled that ball against West Ham, the way he adjusted his body as the angle of the ball wasn't exactly right yet he took it down absolutely perfect.

That West Ham game as well is probably the best performance I've ever seen from us.

Guest north shields lad

We changed a winning system to fit him in the team and lost the league because of it. Why fix somthing that isnt broken, for that reason a failure.

We changed a winning system to fit him in the team and lost the league because of it. Why fix somthing that isnt broken, for that reason a failure.

We changed a winning system because Keith Gillespie got injured iirc.

Guest firetotheworks

Agree with some, that on the balance of things, he was neither this or that. Fantastically talented footballer though.

Oh, and why we lost the title that year? Bottle. Absence of.

End of story. Tino was the last person to blame, but he became a convenient scapegoat.

I think Tino's goal which put us 2-1 up at the epic 4-3 game at Anfield is one of my favourite memories. No one else could even have imagined a a more crazily crafted finish. Pure genius.

It was the third goal to put us 3-2 up that Tino scored - Ferdinand and Ginola had scored Nos 1 & 2, but yes, it WAS a great finish, bent around Grobbelaar after Rob Lee put Asprilla in on their right after we caught them on a break..

I stand corrected, it was indeed the third goal. It was just the manner of the finish, taking it in his stride on the run and bending it with the outside of his foot past a keeper who didn't register what had happened till it was curving past him into the net. I'd never seen anything like it before and I still haven't. Pure instinct.

The one he scored the year after was class as well.

The correcter needs correcting. It was David James.

It amazes me that people who watched us implode near the end put it down to us buying Tino. It was BECAUSE we were stalling that Keegan bought the likes of Asprilla and Batty to give us the final boost to see us over the finishing line. I could understand outsiders thinking that way but if you were here and watched the likes of Lee and Ferdinand go into their shells second half of the season you would know why KK beefed up the artillery. In the end it wasn't enough but we went for it. Man U also won something like 13 of their last 14 games as well...maybe that was Asprilla's fault as well!

Eric cantona came back for man u, and won it for them,... manus form at the end of that season was nowt to do with Tino.

Guest firetotheworks

Utter myth about Asprilla being the reason we didnt win the title.

We bought Asprilla and Batty because we weren't cutting it. We still should have bought a defender though. Never rated Peacock.

It should also be noted that he scored a cracker against Sheff Wed and also that Keegan wasnt the manager when we beat Barca.

I say success.

Was that the left footed Karate Kid kick he scored from outside the box? Cross coming in from the right wing?

Aye, I think so, cant remember it all that well but Im sure it was the first home game of the Season and he was upfront on his own after the Shearer injury and the sale of Ferdinand. Think he scored a pen in the same match too.

Yes, and badly by a bad tackle from his so-called 'mate' Phil Neville at Man U earlier in the season ; was never the same player.

I say success.

No that was against some dodgy team in the waffa cup, cant remember who tho.

I say success.

Aye, I think so, cant remember it all that well but Im sure it was the first home game of the Season and he was upfront on his own after the Shearer injury and the sale of Ferdinand. Think he scored a pen in the same match too.

He scored two on the opening day against shef wed who were in an orange kit.  Carbone for them and Asprilla for us.

David Pleate being interviewed after the game said our movement at times was unreal.

Then KD decided to make us all defensive after that  ;D

Pure Toon Legend a one of those like Sir Les that was not here for long but amde a massive impact on the fans, he was slightly mental but we loved him for it. He was IN NO WAY to blanme for us not winning the title we would not have even got so close if he had not been here.

I say success.

No that was against some dodgy team in the waffa cup, cant remember who tho.

was that against halmstadts (sp?) when a pre arsenal freddie ljungberg played for them?

• 1 year later...
Guest Geordiesned

I've just uploaded a video I took of Tino's half time crossbar challenge yesterday to YouTube for anyone interested.

Search for "Tino Asprilla Crossbar Challenge" although you may have to wait a few minutes to view as still processing at the minute.

I've just uploaded a video I took of Tino's half time crossbar challenge yesterday to YouTube for anyone interested.

Search for "Tino Asprilla Crossbar Challenge" although you may have to wait a few minutes to view as still processing at the minute.

Cheers. :)

Guest Geordiesned

Is rungeordierun not you? I already viewed one with that same video title.

Ah right no I'm Geordiesned on YouTube as well.

Rungeordierun will be that bloke who's running across America.