Asprilla: success or failure for NUFC?

Guest Invicta_Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest elbee909

I loved the bloke me like.

It should also be noted that he scored a cracker against Sheff Wed and also that Keegan wasnt the manager when we beat Barca.

I say success.

Was that the left footed Karate Kid kick he scored from outside the box? Cross coming in from the right wing?

Aye, I think so, cant remember it all that well but Im sure it was the first home game of the Season and he was upfront on his own after the Shearer injury and the sale of Ferdinand. Think he scored a pen in the same match too.

That first goal was the first goal by anyone in the Premiership that season.

That CL game.  :angry:

I'm still scarred after all these years. Ranks up there as one of my 3 worst European memories for Barça.

One of my favourite nights. Missed oasis for the match but it was well worth it!!

It was the feeling of utter confidence going into the match - after the show we had been putting the league - and thinking "Barça's back and we are going to win this s*** again" only to spend a whole game chasing shadows and looking massively out of our depth. That game was also a harbinger of times to come, of being utterly average in Europe until the mid 2000s.

I shouldn't laugh about it or appear to condone it but I had forgotten about the elbow and the nut on Keith Curle :lol:

Curle was a wanker mind.

Didn't he nut someone as well? Coventry player maybe?

It was the feeling of utter confidence going into the match - after the show we had been putting the league - and thinking "Barça's back and we are going to win this s*** again" only to spend a whole game chasing shadows and looking massively out of our depth. That game was also a harbinger of times to come, of being utterly average in Europe until the mid 2000s.

And yet you were still only a goal away from grabbing a draw ;)

Didn't he nut someone as well? Coventry player maybe?

I don't remember any other incidents personally. Only youtube reminded me of Keith Curle.

I guess it wouldn't be a surprise if had done it again.

I loved his time here.

And yet you were still only a goal away from grabbing a draw ;)

Deceptive scoreline though. You gave us a bath like we say in Spain.

Guest Geordiesned

I've just uploaded a video I took of Tino's half time crossbar challenge yesterday to YouTube for anyone interested.

Search for "Tino Asprilla Crossbar Challenge" although you may have to wait a few minutes to view as still processing at the minute.

My vid is finally online for anyone wanting to see it.

I can't link to it on phone unfortunately.

Did he really do that first go? :lol: Class...sheer class.

Hit the crossbar? Nah. First go he slipped and landed flat on his arse :lol: - the second go was when he hit the crossbar.

Came close with the third attempt aswell.

I don't think you can really class him as either a success or a failure. There were some marvellous individual performances – vs Barça was one of the best I've ever seen in a black and white shirt – but he was as inconsistent as hell and never really clicked as a team player. Never connected well with Shearer, for example. He was best playing up front on his own, without any responsibility to anyone else.

Loved the guy, though. Prodigious talent and a real character.

As much of a success as Martins was.

I was never a huge Oba fan but he contributed more consistently than Tino, who had no more than half a dozen good games for us.

I love Tino probably more than most other players that have played for us.

Arriving in the snow, iconic. Doing so well on his debut, bringing a bit of flair and trickery. Those goals against Barca.

As far as I'm concerned that's success... the man's a legend!