Asprilla: success or failure for NUFC?

Guest Invicta_Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A great entertaining player, was NOT a waste of money and was actually my favourite player at the time, and that hat-trick v barca i will never forget. Thank you Kevin Keegan for bringing him to NUFC. I'm sad to believe the days of a glittering fantasy footballer like asprilla signing for this club are well and truely gone, here's to the Nolans and Ryan Taylors of the world boohoo!!!!!!

The idea that signing him cost us the title is one of the biggest myths in football.

Yup. What cost us was the fact Sir Les couldn't hit a barn door in the second half of the season and he lost if mentally. Rob Lee never scored a goal as well for a few months. Gillespie getting injured impacted the balance of the team. Plus having two jokers in goal didn't help either.

Shaka in that last few weeks was fucking dreadful.

:rant:

The only two games I remember from Shaka over ten years on are Blackburn & Forest.  Just so fucking slow to react :(

The idea that signing him cost us the title is one of the biggest myths in football.

Yup. What cost us was the fact Sir Les couldn't hit a barn door in the second half of the season and he lost if mentally. Rob Lee never scored a goal as well for a few months. Gillespie getting injured impacted the balance of the team. Plus having two jokers in goal didn't help either.

The only two games I remember from Shaka over ten years on are Blackburn & Forest.  Just so fucking slow to react :(

I've long blamed him for the defeat at Blackburn.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Cannot make my mind up actually. A success while KK was manager maybe but a bit of a failure after he left. Won us a few points when he first came e.g. Boro away and played canny while others had lost their way. Later on just seemed like he couldn't really be bothered although maybe like most of us, required subtitles to understand Kenny and therefore was a man lost.

In view of him being instrumental in winning some points, I cannot blame him for losing the league that year. Players lost form, Man u (rather Kung Fooey and Red Nose) were amazing and we also had a very hard series of fixtures. I remember saying we would need a 15 point lead by Xmas to win it, when the fixtures came out. I was right, we only had 12!

Another factor of course was Batty. Clarkie was playing the defensive midfielder role. Doing ok, not as good defensively but of course aiding a team that was attacking and exciting and therefore fitting in well. Batty perhaps made the defence a bit stronger (even thats debateable) but we lost anything going forward from him and I feel that was a major factor.

When rumours were circulating about Tino signing, I remember Supermac on the radio saying that there was a better player available at the same club and we should go for him. Name of Zola who I had no knowledge of at the time. In hindsite, Supermac was probably correct (for once) as he would have been perfect in that team and could have relieved a very tired Beardsley in some games and eventually been the perfect replacement.

Tino was good and fitted in with the philosophy of attacking football and entertainers that KK brought to the club and which fans took as the norm and indeed expected. There was an excitement about him even when he arrived and also in many games that he played but in spite of this, I have still not convinced myself or maybe any readers, that he was a success or a failure.

this, provided a much needed boost to the team from the moment he stepped onto the pitch vs 'boro and turned the game in our favour as i remember it...we'd started to stagnate a little by the time he arrived

Got his body behind the first i think it was and it would never have gone in. Was a total liability just like Pav only Pav was more likeable.

I'll always love Tino - scored a hat-trick in the best game i've ever been too. Nothing will change on that front. Until we win something thats probably the best Ive ever felt being a Newcastle fan.

Shaka in that last few weeks was f***ing dreadful.

The only two games I remember from Shaka over ten years on are Blackburn & Forest.  Just so f***ing slow to react :(

Got his body behind the first i think it was and it would never have gone in. Was a total liability just like Pav only Pav was more likeable.

I'll always love Tino - scored a hat-trick in the best game i've ever been too. Nothing will change on that front. Until we win something thats probably the best Ive ever felt being a Newcastle fan.

My memory has taken a giant crap on me: did Tino play a part at all in the 5-0? I know he wasn't involved in the goals or anything, but did he come onto the pitch at any point?

Shaka in that last few weeks was f***ing dreadful.

The only two games I remember from Shaka over ten years on are Blackburn & Forest.  Just so f***ing slow to react :(

My memory has taken a giant crap on me: did Tino play a part at all in the 5-0? I know he wasn't involved in the goals or anything, but did he come onto the pitch at any point?

Off the top of my head i don't think so.

Cannot make my mind up actually. A success while KK was manager maybe but a bit of a failure after he left. Won us a few points when he first came e.g. Boro away and played canny while others had lost their way. Later on just seemed like he couldn't really be bothered although maybe like most of us, required subtitles to understand Kenny and therefore was a man lost.

In view of him being instrumental in winning some points, I cannot blame him for losing the league that year. Players lost form, Man u (rather Kung Fooey and Red Nose) were amazing and we also had a very hard series of fixtures. I remember saying we would need a 15 point lead by Xmas to win it, when the fixtures came out. I was right, we only had 12!

Another factor of course was Batty. Clarkie was playing the defensive midfielder role. Doing ok, not as good defensively but of course aiding a team that was attacking and exciting and therefore fitting in well. Batty perhaps made the defence a bit stronger (even thats debateable) but we lost anything going forward from him and I feel that was a major factor.

When rumours were circulating about Tino signing, I remember Supermac on the radio saying that there was a better player available at the same club and we should go for him. Name of Zola who I had no knowledge of at the time. In hindsite, Supermac was probably correct (for once) as he would have been perfect in that team and could have relieved a very tired Beardsley in some games and eventually been the perfect replacement.

Tino was good and fitted in with the philosophy of attacking football and entertainers that KK brought to the club and which fans took as the norm and indeed expected. There was an excitement about him even when he arrived and also in many games that he played but in spite of this, I have still not convinced myself or maybe any readers, that he was a success or a failure.

Hi KK, a great post and sums up most of my feelings about Asprilla - as you say, it was other players losing form(and possibly, their bottle) which cost us the title. Even a draw with Man U at SJP and a win at Liverpool would probably have done it for us, but the Man U game was the cruncher and Tino did as much as anyone to unlock them as I recall.It was Sir Les who missed the best chance to score after being put in by....Tino !

As you correctly say, Supermac was, in this instance, correct - Zola WAS a more influential player than Tino and went on to prove it with fabulous service to Chelsea..who knows, if KK had signed him, maybe we would have done it.

Agree with some, that on the balance of things, he was neither this or that. Fantastically talented footballer though.

Oh, and why we lost the title that year? Bottle. Absence of.

End of story. Tino was the last person to blame, but he became a convenient scapegoat.

I think Tino's goal which put us 2-1 up at the epic 4-3 game at Anfield is one of my favourite memories. No one else could even have imagined a a more crazily crafted finish. Pure genius.

Agree with some, that on the balance of things, he was neither this or that. Fantastically talented footballer though.

i think it worth noting this point 'cause it's 100% correct and applies to both manager and players

Tino probably had about half a dozen games tops when he looked the superstar he was claimed to be.

Failure over all, considering his fee and reputation.

What lost us the title was the defeat at home to Man U. Leaving aside the arithmetic of it, the confidence the win would have given us would have assured us of the title.

Asprilla was great.

Overall, I don't think he was the right player for us, but he wasn't the only reason why we faltered in the second half of that season.

If I recall right, Beardsley was pushed out to the right to accommodate Tino. The Beardsley - Ferdinand partnership had been a big factor in our success, and they didn't really blend as a threesome.

Absolutely spot on mate, couldn't argue with any of it especially the bit in bold. 

Batty was far too negative for the team we had that season. Instead of Clarky recycling the ball and passing it forward to the likes of Beardsley or Lee etc, we had Batty winning the ball and passing it sideways or back, inviting pressure on to us. And we all know how well our defence coped with pressure...

End of story. Tino was the last person to blame, but he became a convenient scapegoat.

I think Tino's goal which put us 2-1 up at the epic 4-3 game at Anfield is one of my favourite memories. No one else could even have imagined a a more crazily crafted finish. Pure genius.

It was the third goal to put us 3-2 up that Tino scored - Ferdinand and Ginola had scored Nos 1 & 2, but yes, it WAS a great finish, bent around Grobbelaar after Rob Lee put Asprilla in on their right after we caught them on a break..

who knows, if KK had signed him, maybe we would have done it.

so what you're saying is KK is a w***** and dennis wise would have signed zola then, and we'd have won the title by 12 points?

;)

Not EXACTLY...!!! But Zola would , as has been said, have been a great replacement for Beardo who was getting tired - he was , after all, 35 by then.

It was the third goal to put us 3-2 up that Tino scored - Ferdinand and Ginola had scored Nos 1 & 2, but yes, it WAS a great finish, bent around Grobbelaar after Rob Lee put Asprilla in on their right after we caught them on a break..

I stand corrected, it was indeed the third goal. It was just the manner of the finish, taking it in his stride on the run and bending it with the outside of his foot past a keeper who didn't register what had happened till it was curving past him into the net. I'd never seen anything like it before and I still haven't. Pure instinct.

Vic doesn't really have his own opinions, just likes to comment on others.

another fat helping of irony from one of the Vic'ettes

Fop?  :kasper:

(you need to be a toontastic member to understand that btw)

I stand corrected, it was indeed the third goal. It was just the manner of the finish, taking it in his stride on the run and bending it with the outside of his foot past a keeper who didn't register what had happened till it was curving past him into the net. I'd never seen anything like it before and I still haven't. Pure instinct.

The one he scored the year after was class as well.