Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Gemmill

Some quality overreactions to the potential signing of a better-than-decent squad player in this thread. :lol: 

Can someone point me to the bit in the article where it says that Allardyce intends to sign Smith in place of any and all defenders?  What?  It doesn't?!  Then why are you all crying like a load of schoolgirls? :razz:

N-O:  OMG WE NEEDZ DEFENDAZ!!111  SMITH IS TEH SUXORZ!11

BSA:  Do we?  Fuck!  You're right!  It had completely slipped my mind!  Cheers for that lads.  What would I do without you lot?!

:parky:

Some quality overreactions to the potential signing of a better-than-decent squad player in this thread. :lol: 

Can someone point me to the bit in the article where it says that Allardyce intends to sign Smith in place of any and all defenders?  What?  It doesn't?!  Then why are you all crying like a load of schoolgirls? :razz:

BSA:  Do we?  f***!  You're right!  It had completely slipped my mind!  Cheers for that lads.  What would I do without you lot?!

Better than decent as what?  As a striker?  He's not good enough Gemmill.  I'd rather see Carroll get chances when three of our strikers are out injured (purely as a temporary stand in for the moment).

I don't think he showed all that much as a midfielder.  He soon learned that just 'getting stuck in' wasn't enough in today's game.

Guest Gemmill

BSA:  Do we?  f***!  You're right!  It had completely slipped my mind!  Cheers for that lads.  What would I do without you lot?!

Better than decent as what?  As a striker?  He's not good enough Gemmill.  I'd rather see Carroll get chances when three of our strikers are out injured (purely as a temporary stand in for the moment).

I don't think he showed all that much as a midfielder.  He soon learned that just 'getting stuck in' wasn't enough in today's game.

He can fill in as either tbh.  And I think we're all getting a bit carried away with Carroll, as we usually do with young lads who come into the team and show some promise.  I don't anticipate seeing a great deal from him next season.

Smith would give us options in both midfield and up front.  And I don't understand how that could be a bad thing.  I think he's a decent player.

He can fill in as either tbh.  And I think we're all getting a bit carried away with Carroll, as we usually do with young lads who come into the team and show some promise.  I don't anticipate seeing a great deal from him next season.

Smith would give us options in both midfield and up front.  And I don't understand how that could be a bad thing.  I think he's a decent player.

Yeah cause Fergie normally buys and plays average players.  mackems.gif

Great littel competitior and with a winning mentality and can fulfill two roles.

I'm all for it.

....and def are coming... blueyes.gif blueyes.gif blueyes.gif

He doesn't score enough goals to play up front and his performances in midfield, IIRC (I'm willing to be told otherwise), were no better than average.

I don't think I'm getting carried away with Carroll, I just think that he may well be adequate as a fifth choice striker (actually, sixth when you consider Luque).

One other thing, why would he move from Manchester United to us to be a back up player, given that his main issue there is that he isn't getting enough games?  (Maybe he's finally realised that he's playing for the club that he used to commonly refer to as 'the scum')

Great littel competitior and with a winning mentality and can fulfill two roles.

I'm all for it.

Alex Ferguson has bought lots of s*** players in his days at Manchester United, he also has regularly played s*** players at Manchester United.  John O'Shea is the most current example of this latter fact (not even opinion).  Hiding behind an opinion with the justification that someone else agrees with it doesn't really work.

I don't think we need him, I don't like him as a player (or as a person) and, in this hypothetical situation where Allardyce may be interested, I'm against it for any transfer fee above about a million and low wages.

I'm all for it.

I presume you mean def is coming, unless this is another one of your cryptic posts?

If he comes in I presume that'll be as Dyer's replacement.

Guest sharath

I'm all for it.

Alex Ferguson has bought lots of s*** players in his days at Manchester United, he also has regularly played s*** players at Manchester United.  John O'Shea is the most current example of this latter fact (not even opinion).  Hiding behind an opinion with the justification that someone else agrees with it doesn't really work.

I don't think we need him, I don't like him as a player (or as a person) and, in this hypothetical situation where Allardyce may be interested, I'm against it for any transfer fee above about a million and low wages.

I agree that fergie has bought some shit players but O shea is different.

he came through our academy.  understands the pride to play for united.

accepts he is a squad player, never moans. Whenever asked comes in and does a decent enough job. No he isn't a world beater and  he doesn't need to be. he is a squad player for fuck sake.

did you know what? kleberson was in world cup winning squad for  brazil. You need those type of players who will take all the shit from the fans but still do a job for the manager when asked upon.

Never moans about salary or oppurtunities, contracts are never a issue and helps young players at the clubs. 

People say they will gladly have 11 rooneys or 11 ronaldinho's but that team wouldn't finish in top10.

Totally agree, and IF (big IF) we did sign him I reckon it would likely show the £10mill budget limit is a lie. If you need defenders you don't spend 60% of your budget on something else.

That said, if we're finding suitable defenders hard to come by, acquiring other good players, if they become available and who the manager feels are an upgrade is definitely OK too.

I agree that fergie has bought some s*** players but O shea is different.

he came through our academy.  understands the pride to play for united.

accepts he is a squad player, never moans. Whenever asked comes in and does a decent enough job. No he isn't a world beater and  he doesn't need to be. he is a squad player for f*** sake.

did you know what? kleberson was in world cup winning squad for  brazil. You need those type of players who will take all the s*** from the fans but still do a job for the manager when asked upon.

Never moans about salary or oppurtunities, contracts are never a issue and helps young players at the clubs. 

People say they will gladly have 11 rooneys or 11 ronaldinho's but that team wouldn't finish in top10.

I'm not even sure you know what you're arguing about.  I said that an opinion that cites the fact that Alex Ferguson plays someone as evidence that that someone is a good player is invalid and you have posted a justification that Ferguson plays him.  You seem to agree that he isn't very good (toned down), so we don't disagree.

I agree that every team needs players that will 'do a job', play when needed and not complain.  This very fact means that just because Ferguson gives someone a few games, does not mean that the player must automatically be good.

Guest Guinness

Article loses all credibility when it says we are chasing Hangeland.

Agreed, it amazes me he's constantly linked despite the fact Allardyce flat out denied any interest last Thursday.

Guest Matt10

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/newcastle/article2169823.ece

Newcastle’s £6m offer for Smith holds the key to Dyer departure

Sam Allardyce has expressed growing frustration at the dearth of transfer activity at St James’ Park, but the logjam may have been broken by Manchester United’s acceptance of a £6 million bid for Alan Smith. If Newcastle United’s pursuit of the England player is fruitful, it should finally prompt the departure of Kieron Dyer, whose position on Tyneside is close to untenable.

Allardyce yesterday held discussions with Chris Mort, his new chairman, to clear the air on various issues, not least his disquiet at the paucity of his first-team squad. Signing defenders is a priority – he wants Boukary Dramé, Paris Saint-Germain’s 22-year-old Senegal international, to fill the problematic left-back role and also needs at least one experienced centre half – but his move for Smith points to renewed activity.

Newcastle have matched Middlesbrough’s offer for the striker, although they still face competition from Manchester City and, more significantly, Everton, whose pursuit is dependent on James Beattie joining Sheffield United. With Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins, Mark Viduka, Shola Ameobi and Andy Carroll on the club’s books, Allardyce already enjoys a surfeit of forwards.

Yet Smith’s versatility allowed him briefly to be reinvented as a midfield player at Old Trafford and if Dyer is sold, Newcastle’s options there would be weakened. The latter has informed Allardyce that he wishes to leave Newcastle for “family reasons” – his partner and children live in Ipswich – and after Sunday’s substitute appearance in the 2-0 victory over Juventus, he was abused by a number of supporters.

As Dyer left the stadium, a group of youngsters converged on his car, beat their hands on the windows and told him to “f*** off down to London”. While the incident involved a small vocal presence, it left the 28-year-old shaken; along with the player himself, many fans have accepted that his long, fraught spell on Tyneside has drawn to a natural conclusion.

Tottenham Hotspur and City have an interest in Dyer, but Upton Park remains his most likely destination. Unperturbed by the prospect of paying high wages – Dyer earns in excess of £80,000 a week – the East London club are confessed admirers, which they have now converted into firm contact. At present, however, stalemate rules and it may do so until Smith’s future is resolved.

Whether they have submitted a written offer is unclear, but West Ham have informed Newcastle that they are prepared to pay as much as £5.5 million for Dyer, with an additional £1.5 million based on appearances and if Alan Curbishley’s side qualify for Europe. In spite of Dyer’s long history of injury and illness, this is yet to meet with Newcastle’s approval.

Time is pressing, however, and Allardyce has expressed anxiety with the slow pace of change after Mike Ashley’s £133 million takeover. The talks between Allardyce and Mort were designed to expedite matters, as well as clarify recent reports that Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer would be invited to renew their ties with Newcastle. Neither prospect is acceptable to Allardyce, although Shearer already fulfils an ambassadorial role for the club.

If his threadbare squad is causing concern, Allardyce is ecstatic with the impact made by James Milner, who almost joined Aston Villa a year ago. “I think he’s one of the best young wingers in the Premiership,” Allardyce said. “Steve McClaren [the England head coach] has been looking for a replacement down the left side, where England appear to have been short, and if James continues to progress, he could be very useful.”

It still doesn't sound any better 24 hours later, only Newcastle would get Barton, Geremi and Viduka for £5.5m combined then spend £6m on their backup.

There's thousands of players who could do what Smith does for less than a million quid.