Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest sicko2ndbest

Good solid signing.

For:

Top attitude, hungry, a winner

Versatility- forward and midfielder

Aggressive - Ideal for away games, can you imagine a midfield of one of geremi, butt, barton, smith. No one will get the better of them

Against:

Lacks creativity or invention - but then so does, Makelele, hargreaves, gilberto!

People also say Smith can't play in midfield but forget he often played wide right in a very good Leeds side.

This makes no sense.

Maybe Allardyce is planning to resurrect the front 5 formation? Four at the back, Geremi as token holding midfielder then Viduka, Owen, Martins, Smith,  and Ameobi up front

Still makes no sense whatsoever from the player's point of view imo. Any move from Man Utd is a step down, so why move elsewhere and not change your own circumstances? He'll be rotated and played out of position.

Good solid signing.

For:

Top attitude, hungry, a winner

Versatility- forward and midfielder

Aggressive - Ideal for away games, can you imagine a midfield of one of geremi, butt, barton, smith. No one will get the better of them

Against:

Lacks creativity or invention - but then so does, Makelele, hargreaves, gilberto!

nice thoughts

Guest Gemmill

So?

What are his options?  Looks like Sunderland, Boro, Everton and us.  He's so far removed from the first team picture at Man United that he has to move, and of the four teams listed above, I'd be going to Newcastle if I was him.  Staying at Man United isn't an option.

Players not wanted by their clubs tend to leave. They then look for a relatively big club to compensate taking a step down, and despite our troubles in recent years we are still more attractive than Everton, Middlesbrough and the like. Someone like Smith would have enough faith in his ability to think he could hold down a 1st team place here.

Sunderland have rejoined the race to sign Manchester United striker Alan Smith. (The Sun)

But Middlesbrough are close to winning the battle after offering Smith a massive £60,000-a-week contract. (Daily Mirror)

Although Everton are said to be favourites to pip Newcastle to the signing of Smith. (Daily Mail)

West Ham are lining up a £17m move for Barcelona's Eidur Gudjohnsen and Smith. (Daily Express)

:idiot2:

Guest Breezer

So?

What are his options?  Looks like Sunderland, Boro, Everton and us.  He's so far removed from the first team picture at Man United that he has to move, and of the four teams listed above, I'd be going to Newcastle if I was him.  Staying at Man United isn't an option.

Not Everton?  :parky:

Sunderland have rejoined the race to sign Manchester United striker Alan Smith. (The Sun)

But Middlesbrough are close to winning the battle after offering Smith a massive £60,000-a-week contract. (Daily Mirror)

Although Everton are said to be favourites to pip Newcastle to the signing of Smith. (Daily Mail)

West Ham are lining up a £17m move for Barcelona's Eidur Gudjohnsen and Smith. (Daily Express)

:idiot2:

:frantic: I love sports journalists!

My point wasn't that he should stay, Tron. My point was that Man Utd don't want him as they have better players up front and better players in midfield. So do we. If I were him i'd be choosing somewhere where I was probably going to be first choice.

My point wasn't that he should stay, Tron. My point was that Man Utd don't want him as they have better players up front and better players in midfield. So do we. If I were him i'd be choosing somewhere where I was probably going to be first choice.

I would, too. I wouldn't fancy going somewhere else I was going to spend half my time sat on my arse on the bench and the other half out of position.

Guest Gemmill

He's a professional footballer with a big ego though.  He won't be looking at our team and thinking he can't get into it.  At least he shouldn't be anyway.  I think there's a definitely a place in the squad for him, personally.

It's about time we had decent players on the bench that can come on and change a game, and genuine options for the starting line-up who aren't just last resorts.  I don't remember a time when our squad hasn't been comprised of a first team with a huge drop-off in quality to the collection of players that formed the next best options.  Smith would be a good move in the right direction in that regard.

Guest Gemmill

I would, too. I wouldn't fancy going somewhere else I was going to spend half my time sat on my arse on the bench and the other half out of position.

Of the clubs that have come in for him, there's really only Sunderland and Boro where he would be fairly assured of getting a regular game.  But that's like being asked to choose between lethal injection or hanging.

2.5 mil for that cunt, no more no less!

Seen him play on quite a few occasions, and just don't rate him!

Aye he's aggressive, but when you don't end up with the ball 7 times out of 10 it's not worth it!

I said by this tuesday, we'd be fucked to get anyone half decent in now! I just hope i'm proved wrong!

Guest DazzaNufc1892

speaking to some of the lads later (i need to give them their ps3 games back lol), il ask what they know, but im still standing by the fact that we have 6mil in for fletcher, and i still believes its for him, unless we have just offered it onto another player, because fletch is going to pen a new 3 year deal