Martins not for sale - Sam

Guest gggg

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2819544.ece

whoo

Newcastle put Martins on sale to raise transfer cash

By Sam Wallace

Published: 31 July 2007

Obafemi Martins is the latest Newcastle player to be told by the new regime that he can leave if the club can find a suitable buyer this summer. The Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce will have to sell players in order to raise money if he is to bring in new faces and the Nigerian will be used to raise transfer funds.

So far there have been few takers for Kieron Dyer, with reputed interest from West Ham and Tottenham cooling of late. Allardyce would like to move the England international out but he has not attracted the kind of interest that he would have done even two years ago and already injury problems could potentially derail the start of Newcastle's season.

With 11 goals last season after his £10m move from Internazionale last August, Martins is an attractive prospect although his wages, understood to be £60,000 a week, could discourage buyers from outside the Premiership. Despite his impact during the season doubts were raised over his refusal to play against Watford on 13 May - though he claimed he was injured. During an eventful summer he claimed his car was shot at when he was driving in Lagos.

The imperative for Allardyce to sell goes to the heart of Mike Ashley's £133m takeover. The injury to Joey Barton has left Allardyce short of fit players and there are increasing suggestions that the new manager does not see eye-to-eye with the man who took over the club shortly after he was appointed.

Reports over the weekend of a comeback for Kevin Keegan as director of football with Alan Shearer in a coaching role may not be as far-fetched as they sound. There has been a reluctance from the new owner to spend any serious money on transfers until the strategic review of the club - undertaken by the board - has been completed.

I hope this is just paper talk, but there seems to be little question that some kind of rift exists between MA and Sam.  Hard to imagine the man who wants to take the club to the next level forcing the manager to sell one of the club's brightest young assets to raise cash.

Worrying news.

Well there's no quotes at least and they're just guessing that Ashley and Sam don't see eye to eye, unless they mean literally as i don't think they've even met.

this speculation about selling dyer and martins is worrying, not only because it looks like we need to sell before we buy, but because the two players we've earmarked to jettison are the two in our squad to possess the real pace that opens teams up.

over past two friendlies mort and sam seem to be getting on fine in the stands, this has to be complete bollocks, why would the oficial site put together an interview with martins to confirm he is staying then a day later he is on the transfer list

this speculation about selling dyer and martins is worrying, not only because it looks like we need to sell before we buy, but because the two players we've earmarked to jettison are the two in our squad to possess the real pace that opens teams up.

Spot on with that, Johnny.

We run the risk of turning into a team of grafters with little in the way of pace and penetration.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

lets pray it isnt true. But what if it is, lets look at it from that angle, would be the most horrific news iv ever heard out of the club, worse than the souness appointment, because it would just show complete stagnation, and id suspect, signal the beginning of the end already of allardyce, because he wouldnt accept this

This is the downside of the board not coming out and talking about what exactly is going on. Sam makes a few comments about them needing to step it up and all hell breaks out in the media! They live for this kind of crap they really do. The club really does need to address all this nonsense or it will start unsettling people.

At this rate we'll be through the full squad by the middle of August, they must be taking the shot gun approach, name them all and we might get one right.

Wankers, the lot of them.

Christ i hate the transfer window, roll on september says i!! :thup:

Amen. This summer is turning out to be a lot less enjoyable than we all anticipated. Freakin' papers!

Christ i hate the transfer window, roll on september says i!! :thup:

Amen. This summer is turning out to be a lot less enjoyable than we all anticipated. Freakin' papers!

It's only less enjoyable if you're daft enough to believe even half of the absolute horseshit that the paper's have been coming out with. As someone's already pointed out as well, Martins would be on his bike if a top team came in with the money to activate the clause in his contract, so this article is pretty much pointless and is very likely a load of shit to fill up the sports pages.

We don't even have a choice whether he is "up for sale"or not.

Aye, something the Indy are conveniently forgetting...

Unless we're happy to except less than £13 million for him.

Also I'd say there's a chance his clause had a cut off date similar to Owen's.

Fair points.

Still think it's bollocks though, and hope to see some kind of denial tomorrow.

I'd say there's a good chance, an all. Not that Big Sam'd know, anyway.