The wisdom of selling Dyer ?

Benwell Lad

After years of paying KD's vast salary while he underwent one kind of treatment or another, it now seems to be common knowledge that the club are willing to let Dyer go. Wouldn't it be wise to try and get something back on the pitch from him in return for our patience and outlay ?

Every manager Dyer has worked under considered him as an automatic first choice, England coaches and just a couple of days ago Big Sam also praised his contributions to the team.  Are a bunch of sheep brained charvas and nufc.com more qualified to decide what Dyer contributes to a football team ? I think not.

Dyer often covers more ground than any other player over 90 mins - lazy little get - don't think so.

When Dyer runs at defenders, he has an almost unique ability to take 2 or 3 with him, creating space for his team's forwards rarely offered in the Premiership.

He earns a fortune - sure - but finding a replacement will cost at least as much.

I say stick with Dyer, lets see what a full season of playing ( ??? ) brings out of him, support him as we should support every player who wears black and white and lets see if he can finally make the prolonged and positive contribution to our cause which we have waited for.

After years of paying KD's vast salary while he underwent one kind of treatment or another, it now seems to be common knowledge that the club are willing to let Dyer go. Wouldn't it be wise to try and get something back on the pitch from him in return for our patience and outlay ?

Every manager Dyer has worked under considered him as an automatic first choice, England coaches and just a couple of days ago Big Sam also praised his contributions to the team.  Are a bunch of sheep brained charvas and nufc.com more qualified to decide what Dyer contributes to a football team ? I think not.

Dyer often covers more ground than any other player over 90 mins - lazy little get - don't think so.

When Dyer runs at defenders, he has an almost unique ability to take 2 or 3 with him, creating space for his team's forwards rarely offered in the Premiership.

He earns a fortune - sure - but finding a replacement will cost at least as much.

I say stick with Dyer, lets see what a full season of playing ( ??? ) brings out of him, support him as we should support every player who wears black and white and lets see if he can finally make the prolonged and positive contribution to our cause which we have waited for.

He wants to leave to be with his family.

Let him go.

If the reports are right though, we've knocked back two offers.

West ham offered 5m (which I thought was what we were asking???)

Tottenham offered Didier Zokora.

Pretty good thread mate, but he wants to go to deal with family issues.

Not often I agree with you but I will there. I don't think he can stay here though. Plenty of ball watchers will never see what a player does away from it, happily you can. His managers can. Other managers can. The 'fans' here can't. Sad really.

Guest thenorthumbrian

You can only judge Dyer on what he's given to the club and it's a lot less than what he's got out of it. 

Not often I agree with you but I will there. I don't think he can stay here though. Plenty of ball watchers will never see what a player does away from it, happily you can. His managers can. Other managers can. The 'fans' here can't. Sad really.

b..b..but he got pissed once on a night out and urinated on a building or burnt some money or something surely he deserves no less than the death penalty for that

He's been here 8 years and steadily gone backwards as a player. He's probably had a handful ofreally good games in the last 3 years, is unbelievably injury prone, vastly overpaid and the fans hate him and he wants to leave.

Of couse we should keep him!!

I said in an earlier thread that his family are in Ipswich, fair enough a move to London makes the journey to Ipswich shorter but, I doubt he will be living there so what does he gain?  Not much in my opinion! 

All that said, if we force him to stay this season he will not necessarily play as well as he can as his heart will not be in the job, some may suggest that has been the case for a number of seasons now.  In two years he can leave and we get nothing!  May as well sell him now while he still holds some financial value.

I'm also not sure where hi is going to fit into the team, we are strong in midfield (assuming Geremi plays there) with decent talent in that department.  We have enough strikers as well.  I doubt Dyer would get many games (if the squad was injury free, that is).

I said in an earlier thread that his family are in Ipswich, fair enough a move to London makes the journey to Ipswich shorter but, I doubt he will be living there so what does he gain?  Not much in my opinion! 

All that said, if we force him to stay this season he will not necessarily play as well as he can as his heart will not be in the job, some may suggest that has been the case for a number of seasons now.  In two years he can leave and we get nothing!  May as well sell him now while he still holds some financial value.

I'm also not sure where hi is going to fit into the team, we are strong in midfield (assuming Geremi plays there) with decent talent in that department.  We have enough strikers as well.  I doubt Dyer would get many games (if the squad was injury free, that is).

Plenty of players live well away from their place of work. Viduka wants to stay in North Yorkshire. Where does he play? Alan Brazil seems to manage on Talksport!

If Spurs offered Zokora and we turned it down then that's crazy.

Was it not more a case of Spurs making a bid for Dyer, us saying we'll accept as long as we can have Zokora, and Spurs telling us to naff off?

SPURS have lost interest in Kieron Dyer after they failed to agree a player-exchange deal with Newcastle United for the England international.

This could mean the United midfielder finds himself in limbo at a time when a section of the fans would prefer him to leave St James’ Park.

The Chronicle revealed on Friday that Spurs had joined West Ham and Manchester City in the chase to sign Dyer who, according to boss Sam Allardyce, wants to leave for family reasons.

The two clubs have talked about a possible deal including a player-exchange.

A White Hart Lane source told me today: “Newcastle and Spurs have been talking about Dyer and the name of Didier Zokora has cropped up in a possible exchange deal.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

“The word is that Spurs feel Newcastle value Dyer too highly at £8m and the deal is dead.”

Zokora was an £8.2m signing by Martin Jol from St Etienne 12 months ago and is an Allardyce sort of player.

It appears he will not be joining Big Sam because it does not look as though the deal will be resurrected, but if it was there would be another big problem – Dyer’s wages.

The 28-year-old picks up somewhere between £60,000 and £65,000 a week from United, while Spurs have a strict pay code with a ceiling of £35,000.

To complicate the situation, the talk in London is that United owner Mike Ashley does not want Dyer to go to Upton Park – even though Alan Curbishley has made a £4m bid.

West Ham are trying to sign Eidur Gudjohnsen from Barcelona and Alan Smith from Manchester United in a £17m double deal.

To add to Big Sam’s frustration, while he is trying to sign a left-back for next to nothing, West Ham have slapped in a £7m bid for Reading’s Nicky Shorey.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=dyer-in-limbo-as-spurs-bid-fails%26method=full%26objectid=19547272%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Thats the thing though - he is lazy. So many times he gets the ball, turns, and plays it back, playing within himself. Theres a difference between covering ground off the ball and going out on that pitch to make things happen, demanding the ball, taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Look at games like Alkmar for example - he just dosent want to know man, he couldnt give a crap. He has a couple of purple patches during a season and everyone decides 'Dyers superb etc' but for him thats job done, a few games of actually making things happen and thats it for the season. The only difference this time is maybe Allardyce could get his arse in gear and get him playing with a purpose every game. But I'd personally come back to the fact he dosent fit in anyway imo.

If Spurs offered Zokora and we turned it down then that's crazy.

Was it not more a case of Spurs making a bid for Dyer, us saying we'll accept as long as we can have Zokora, and Spurs telling us to naff off?

Probably. Zakora is ten times the player Dyer is.

Guest ryunufc

i would really like to see dyer as newcastle player next season. i agree with your observation there, he has preference to create space for others to run forward rather than to burst forward with the ball himself. even though that i do not know his best position is, his unique ability is a valuable asset. but when SA came out and explained the situation it seemed to be out of our hands. im feeling dissapointed too, especially with the fact that he is moving to our league rivals.

He's been here 8 years and steadily gone backwards as a player. He's probably had a handful ofreally good games in the last 3 years, is unbelievably injury prone, vastly overpaid and the fans hate him and he wants to leave.

Yes a lot of fans don't like him, and the bandwagon charva types, who we seem to have more of than most,  have decided that he is the one to hate right now (good news for Butt, Luque, Carr, Ramage etc etc ) BUT all his managers and coaches have considered him a very important team player when fit.

Who's most qualified to decide ?

If we can keep Dyer then I would love to see him play this coming season as I think this season he will be at his best and never previously been as fit...I think he will contribute the most this season compared to before...

Keep him...We don't have players like that who can unlock defenses and run 100Km/h at opposition...He can score or create a pass from nothing even if that doesn't happen that often, we just don't have that kind of player full stop so if we loose him, we loose that edge...

Remember his goal against Arsenal away last season ? Only Bellamy and Dyer are capable of that...We lost the first one 2 seasons ago and now Dyer is going too...We need players with pace and trickery... 

i would really like to see dyer as newcastle player next season. i agree with your observation there, he has preference to create space for others to run forward rather than to burst forward with the ball himself. even though that i do not know his best position is, his unique ability is a valuable asset. but when SA came out and explained the situation it seemed to be out of our hands. im feeling dissapointed too, especially with the fact that he is moving to our league rivals.

What the hell are these so called "family problems" anyway ?

Isn't this just an excuse ?  It's not like he just arrived on Tyneside, he's been here years.

If we want to keep him, tell him to get his private life sorted and do what he's paid to do.

Yes a lot of fans don't like him, and the bandwagon charva types, who we seem to have more of than most,  have decided that he is the one to hate right now (good news for Butt, Luque, Carr, Ramage etc etc ) BUT all his managers and coaches have considered him a very important team player (when fit).

Who's most qualified to decide ?

And where are these managers now? Sacked.

Dyer has been a bad apple for years, never realised his own talent, became a role model for the bling crew, showed disrespect to the fans, the club, the manager & has been paid like a superstar since his arrival for his efforts or lack of.

I'd have liked to see him become a senior player this year, take the bull by the horns, be the player that we all thought he was going to be, and finally put all his demons behind him, but instead he does a runner at the 1st opportunity, but still wont even hand in his transfer request as money is still far more important to him than family, clearly so.

I can see why so many have beef with him, i think he's a little prick, it is however a shame after 8 years of putting up with him some have cracked booing him and egging his house, but i'll not lose sleep over that of him, and when he goes we put another terrible chapter of NUFC behind us and move on.

If we can keep Dyer then I would love to see him play this coming season as I think this season he will be at his best and never previously been as fit...I think he will contribute the most this season compared to before...

Keep him...We don't have players like that who can unlock defenses and run 100Km/h at opposition...He can score or create a pass from nothing even if that doesn't happen that often, we just don't have that kind of player full stop so if we loose him, we loose that edge...

Remember his goal against Arsenal away last season ? Only Bellamy and Dyer are capable of that...We lost the first one 2 seasons ago and now Dyer is going too...We need players with pace and trickery... 

Which is why every manager we've had in his time here wanted him in the team so badly.

is it his fault that he is overpaid?

No.

At the end of the day, players are going to want to get paid as much as they can, and if he said pay me that or I'm leaving, we should've let him leave.

The Chairman/Manager cannot get held to ransom by a player.

Plenty of players live well away from their place of work. Viduka wants to stay in North Yorkshire. Where does he play? Alan Brazil seems to manage on Talksport!

True, but, Ispwich would take about 1hr 45mins to West Ham assuming fair traffic.  Not sure whether that may be too far away for a commute.

Mark Viduka lives in Harrogate which is about the same (maybe 20 mins less), maybe you're right!!

Personally if Dyer goes (or should I say when) I wish him well, even though he has been a little shit at times up here!!

God if Zokora was part of the swap deal then as others had said, I would have snapped there arms off!

I really rate the guy, and lets face it Dyers well passed his sell by date! (Pardon the pun) So there crazy to knock it back especially if Smith was the alternative!

Can't blame the lad for wanting away really but he is under contract and if no one offers the right money then fk him he should be made to stay.

I have always backed him but he owes us after the club stood by him so he can just fkn wait and see if the right offer comes in and in the meantime he can get on and play for us, he will just have to try and ignore the brain dead twats the boo him!!