Owen a worry for big kick off

ShearMagic

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=owen-a-worry-for-big-kick-off%26method=full%26objectid=19553065%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

MICHAEL OWEN is fighting a race against time to be in the Newcastle United opener with Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok Stadium a week on Saturday.

The England striker’s thigh injury is proving a bit slow to heal and it’s not the news Sam Allardyce wants to hear as he prepares to return to his former stamping ground.

Big Sam told me last Wednesday that he expected Owen and Shola Ameobi to play some part against Celtic at St James’ Park on Thursday night.

But neither did, and neither of the two strikers were involved against Juventus on Sunday.

There is a chance that Ameobi, who has had a bit of back trouble, will play some part in tonight’s friendly at Hull City, but it would be a surprise if Owen is on the bus.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

All this leaves is Sunday’s friendly with Sampdoria at St James’ Park, and as things stand, three of United’s main four-man strike force of Owen, Ameobi and Mark Viduka have only managed 90 minutes of football among them in pre-season, with the exception being Oba Martins who has looked quite lively.

This was in the first friendly at Hartlepool when Owen and Ameobi played in the second half – and looked good together.

Viduka is now training with United but he does not expect to be involved at Hull City tonight.

It’s not the sort of preparations Allardyce wanted, with midfielders Joey Barton, Emre, Nicky Butt and Damien Duff all queuing to get into the treatment room along with the likes of Owen and Ameobi and central defender Steven Taylor.

Viduka’s Asian Cup exploits were out of Big Sam’s hands, and so too is the fact that Kieron Dyer who, as revealed in The Chronicle a week past Thursday, is on his way to West Ham.

As a result it will not be a strong squad which will head for Hull City and big Sam’s former No 2 Phil Brown tonight.

The more and more I read about Owen, the more I want him gone.

Can't even overcome a thigh strain in three weeks.

How the f do we know whether he should have overcome it in 3 weeks or not? Have you been sitting in on the physio room?

Also, the more and more you read the Chronicle, the more and more deluded and depressed you will become.

Well Sam did say he expected them to both (Owen and Ameobi) to play against Celtic and when it was first done, said it was only a minor injury.

Oh and yeah, I didnt notice that Alan Oliver wrote it, so it will be a pile of shite probably.

How the f do we know whether he should have overcome it in 3 weeks or not? Have you been sitting in on the physio room?

Also, the more and more you read the Chronicle, the more and more deluded and depressed you will become.

Well Sam did say he expected them to both (Owen and Ameobi) to play against Celtic and when it was first done, said it was only a minor injury.

Oh and yeah, I didnt notice that Alan Oliver wrote it, so it will be a pile of shite probably.

Fair enough... I'm depressed about his injuries as well, I just don't blame him for them like some people seem to.

Fair enough... I'm depressed about his injuries as well, I just don't blame him for them like some people seem to.

Yeah what I wrote probably came across wrongly.

I don't blame him for the injuries, but its a worry that they keep happening and he can't overcome them.

No doubt, when playing he's very good, but if someone came in with a decent enough bid, we may be well off to accept it.

Guest Gemmill

The more and more I read about Owen, the more I want him gone.

Can't even overcome a thigh strain in three weeks.

:lol:  Aye he wants to have a word with those muscles of his, uncooperative little twats that they are.  He can talk about wanting to stay all he likes, but the rate of healing in his muscles tells its own story!

Jesus wept!

By the way, while I'm in an Alan Oliver article thread, given that this bloke has now been cut adrift from the club, we should have a ban on his pathetic drivel being posted on here.  It was bad enough having to read his shite when he DID have a link in to the boardroom, but these days we might as well make our own shit up as read his.

Guest Gemmill

I don't blame him for the injuries, but its a worry that they keep happening and he can't overcome them.

No doubt, when playing he's very good, but if someone came in with a decent enough bid, we may be well off to accept it.

Don't go getting all reasonable in the post before I take the piss out of your initial stance! :razz:

Owen will be available for the first game I've got no doubts about that. It is a simple thigh strain is all. Just trying to make a melodrama out of a story. Owen is fitter now than he has ever been.

I don't know why we are so desperate to see him play in a low key friendly we are a matter of a few short weeks from the start of the season we should be holding onto him wrapped in cotton wool in the hope we keep him fit till xmas and beyond not pushing him into something when he is not 100%.

Guest Gemmill

Owen will be available for the first game I've got no doubts about that. It is a simple thigh strain is all. Just trying to make a melodrama out of a story. Owen is fitter now than he has ever been.

:lol:  Seriously though, Parky is just a slightly mystical version of Alan Oliver.

Don't go getting all reasonable in the post before I take the piss out of your initial stance! :razz:

:razz:

Lets just pretend that the post where u took the piss out of me was before my reasonable post ok?

:lol:  Seriously though, Parky is just a slightly mystical version of Alan Oliver.

Yeah but I'm a ladeez man on top.

And a Gents underneath?

And a Gents underneath?

Groomer. :parky:

Guest black

And a Gents underneath?

Better than being the fluffer, one supposes. :lol:

And a Gents underneath?

Better than being the fluffer, one supposes. :lol:

Yes one would suppose. :lol:

Guest mobiius

:clap2:Alan oliversions take on the toon is at this time of year the same as it is every year. owen may start or he may not, would it be the end of the world if he didnt,i think not. i have long since stopped believing the oliversion as in my own humble opinion he has started lending his self to the typical fleet street sensationalism to fill the back page of the chronicle by deadline time.

Lady Owen's got another owie ... boo hoo! What a freakin' crock.

Of course we need him to play in the pre-seson so Sam can sort out his tactics and see how various things work. For example everyone thought Geremi was brought in to play right-back but after the last couple of pre-season games we can clearly see that this should never be the case. He's way too good for that.

With Sam confirming that he prefers the 4-3-3 last night, we should be working on this during pre-season, but because Owen has been hurt we haven't had a chance to see how Martins and Owen might fit into this formation.

I can't tell you how much more I am coming to appreciate players like Milner and Martins, they might not be as talented as Owen but they are always ready to play and can be relied upon. Milner has just played in a very competitive tournament this summer and has only had a short break, but look at the form he is in already!

Owen really needs to get himself together. Maybe they need to look at his diet or something ... he's as brittle as Mr. Glass.