Everything falling into place?

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Smith and two aging defenders, one with injury problems, nothing to shout about imo.

Better than nothing though.

realism doesn't go down as well as rose tinted specs

I agree but considering our squad and general situation last year would you not agree we are in a better and more promising position.

Of course we need more/better players but in my opinion we have made a big step forward, do you agree?

think quality not quantity.

People were happy when we bought Boumsong and Babayaro because we needed defenders, remember ?

Does it occur to anyone that the reason we haven't bought players who can step straight into the premiership, for instance, is because we won't pay the going rate ?

It doesn't take a genius to work out where that path will lead.

Time will tell. One thing is for sure though, if we are still buying players in this price bracket in 12 months time, people will be crying out for trophy quality signings.

I'm happy with Allardyce, but thats all at the moment.

Howay man Leazes, you gave the old board the benefit of the doubt way beyond what most did and the new owner has been in five minutes and it's all doom and gloom. I seriously doubt that we would have been very different in terms of who we were able to attract unless we were paying outrageous wages no matter who was behind the scenes this pre-season. At least give the new lot a chance to back the manager before making assumptions that they won't.

Guest bluegeordie

Squad coming together now.

Geremi Taylor Rozenahl Dragu

Is a big improvement from last year. Also rumours of us bidding 3m for Poupa Diop, that'd be fantastic, a diop-barton central midfield is quite desirable.

I certainly hope that those three deals go through, Smith would provide decent backup but I don't think we should spend 6 mil on him, however I trust  Big Sam to build his team, and if he can realise Smith's potential which he showed at Leeds then we'll have a quality player on our hands.

Although I'm open to Geremi filling a midfield role, I agree with pretty much all of this, and I feel that in this thread there's far too little trust being shown in Big Sam's footballing nous. In my view, to have doubts about the signing of Smith is understandable, but to be certain that it's a disaster smacks of arrogance - just maybe, Sam has a better idea about football in general, and his plan for NUFC in particular, than us (if not, then either he's seriously overpaid, or we're seriously underpaid). I'll admit to having a few reservations about Smith, and like some others on here I'd much rather we were welcoming Eider Gudjonsen to the club, but my jury will definitely be staying out for some time yet on Sam's latest move.       

People were happy when we bought Boumsong and Babayaro because we needed defenders, remember ?

Does it occur to anyone that the reason we haven't bought players who can step straight into the premiership, for instance, is because we won't pay the going rate ?

Time will tell. One thing is for sure though, if we are still buying players in this price bracket in 12 months time, people will be crying out for trophy quality signings.

Does it not occur to you that maybe a club that has just finished the season in 13th and has no European football to offer might be down the list of clubs that some players might want to play for?

but we are still getting bigger crowds than Liverpool, Chelsea and Leeds, although they ALL got better ones than us pre-1992 ? Have you thought about your reason for this yet ?

In actual fact, just so you can't accuse me of not answering - such as you are declining to do re the above - no, I don't think buying British players who know about Newcastle, the fans and the city, should be too much of a problem at all. Not like it was when we were really mediocre, before the Halls and Shepherd took over the club that is. As we have played over 100 games in europe, probably the 5th most in England, I can't see how the vast majority of foreigners haven't heard of us either, can you ?

The problem is, we are appearing to be looking at the same market as those days again ie free transfers, and cheap 30 year olds. Being a long term supporter, you should know this, but I realise you wont' admit it. The simple fact is, when the old board spent vastly more money and attracted players, they were still slated by people like you, and told to find more money, now you are finding excuses for not finding any.

I am more than happy with Allardyce, but any good position we get this season will be achieved in spite of him not being backed by his board. Like it or not, that is true unless something happens in the next month.

Does it not occur to you that maybe a club that has just finished the season in 13th and has no European football to offer might be down the list of clubs that some players might want to play for?

but we are still getting bigger crowds than Liverpool, Chelsea and Leeds, although they ALL got better ones than us pre-1992 ? Have you thought about your reason for this yet ?

In actual fact, just so you can't accuse me of not answering - such as you are declining to do re the above - no, I don't think buying British players who know about Newcastle, the fans and the city, should be too much of a problem at all. Not like it was when we were really mediocre, before the Halls and Shepherd took over the club that is. As we have played over 100 games in europe, probably the 5th most in England, I can't see how the vast majority of foreigners haven't heard of us either, can you ?

The problem is, we are appearing to be looking at the same market as those days again ie free transfers, and cheap 30 year olds. Being a long term supporter, you should know this, but I realise you wont' admit it. The simple fact is, when the old board spent vastly more money and attracted players, they were still slated by people like you, and told to find more money, now you are finding excuses for not finding any.

I am more than happy with Allardyce, but any good position we get this season will be achieved in spite of him not being backed by his board. Like it or not, that is true unless something happens in the next month.

Have you thought that Allardyce is happy with the players he's bringing in?

Btw what did you think of Mort's interview in the Journal?

Most people can see positives, some more than others but you're gutted.   bluelaugh.gif

Guest Invicta_Toon

by his own admission they are not his first choices. probably not even close

Speaking of falling into place. They are going to show Bolton away, Villa at home andn Boro away here in sweden on Canal+ ..that's great, never thought that they would show the bolton game. But im working then  :tickedoff: :tickedoff:  ...I guess i will have to take a vacation day or i will have to stay at home being "sick"

I didn't say they were, Vic.

He clearly knows the players he wants to bring here, if he's to be believed the reason he can't get them is because they've turned us down because we don't have European football, that leaves him the choice of going out and spending money on players he doesn't really want or snapping up players on free transfers that he feels will improve on what we've got and are good enough to get us into a European place next season, that way leaving him free to sign the players he wants in either January (if we look like qualifying) or next summer.

Most people can see positives, some more than others but you're gutted.   bluelaugh.gif

haven't you worked out your own question yet ie why did we get worse crowds than Liverpool, Leeds and Chelsea pre-1992 and now we don't ?

did you sell your shares to Ashley ? Did you put in to buy shares when we were mediocre in 1991 [when we got these crowds you speak of] ?  mackems.gif

is the correct answer

He clearly knows the players he wants to bring here, if he's to be believed the reason he can't get them is because they've turned us down because we don't have European football, that leaves him the choice of going out and spending money on players he doesn't really want or snapping up players on free transfers that he feels will improve on what we've got and are good enough to get us into a European place next season, that way leaving him free to sign the players he wants in either January (if we look like qualifying) or next summer.

Are you saying that all the clubs who aren't in europe can only buy free transfers and players nobody else wants for small fees ?

NUFC are well known among British players as one of the biggest clubs in the country now - unlike before the Shepherd and Halls - we are also well known throughout europe too having played in europe more than 100 times, the vast majority in the last 15 years.

For whatever reason, if we aren't paying the going rate, then they aren't coming.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/08/02/sfnbon102.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

Are you saying that all the clubs who aren't in europe can only buy free transfers and players nobody else wants for small fees ?

NUFC are well known among British players as one of the biggest clubs in the country now - unlike before the Shepherd and Halls - we are also well known throughout europe too having played in europe more than 100 times, the vast majority in the last 15 years.

For whatever reason, if we aren't paying the going rate, then they aren't coming.

I'm saying Allardyce seems a cautious manager when it comes to spending money.

He's said players he wants won't come because we're not in Europe, do you think he's lying?

Do you think he should go out and spend money on players who are not the players he wants only to have to try and sell them next summer to get the players he does want?

If the truth be told you're just gutted that your mate Shepherd got the boot, you conveniently ignore the fact he left us £80 million in debt, partly by borrowing money to back Souness in the transfer market, some may call it showing ambition well the majority call it stupidity, now Ashley has come in and you expect him to spend money out of his own pocket to keep up with the spending of Man City and Portsmouth, you never once expected the old board to put their own money in but were happy to defend them while they took millions out of the club in dividends.

I'm not sure what you would prefer tbh, Ashley to do well and for us to win a trophy or him to fail so you can tell everyone that you said all along they might not be better in Shepherd, either way you're making yourself look a bitter old man at the moment with a massive chip ob your shoulder.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/08/02/sfnbon102.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

Allardyce said he couldn't get the players he wanted because we don't have European football,  Chris Mort has said that he couldn't get the players Allardyce wanted because we don't have European football.

People are talking about poor finish last season an no Europe holding us back but why is this not the same for Man City?

Just excuses imo for us not going all out to bring in proper quality. Were planning to spend low, simple as, its not us trying and failing, its us not going anywhere near for the top quality or taking a chance on expensive English youth.

People are talking about poor finish last season an no Europe holding us back but why is this not the same for Man City?

Just excuses imo for us not going all out to bring in proper quality. Were planning to spend low, simple as, its not us trying and failing, its us not going anywhere near for the top quality or taking a chance on expensive English youth.

How many of the players that went to Man City turned us down?

Were not in for any of them as we simply do not have the cash to go for them, i thought i just said that already ???

Were not in for any of them as we simply do not have the cash to go for them, i thought i just said that already ???

Thanks for the information, you should pass that onto Allardyce and Mort as they don't seem to realise that they don't have the cash.

Guest SeattleToon

I think anybody who is unhappy with Allardyce's signings needs to get some perspective. Last year we had signed virtually nobody by this time in the summer. This year we have signed (or are about to sign) Viduka, Smith, Barton, Geremi, Rozenhal, Dragutinovic, and Cacapa, all of whom are proven internationals. We've barely put a dent in the transfer budget, and we've still got four weeks left until the transfer deadline. That's a hell of a lot better than Roeder ever did, especially considering he probably wouldn't have even heard about guys like Rozenhal, Dragutinovic, and Cacapa.

Thanks for the information, you should pass that onto Allardyce and Mort as they don't seem to realise that they don't have the cash.

So where is it?

Or that Allardyce doesn't want them perhaps?

He's said he's got money but the players he wants won't come because we have no European football, do you think he should just go out and spend money on players he doesn't want just to stop tarts like you whinging on a football forum?

Or that Allardyce doesn't want them perhaps?

He's said he's got money but the players he wants won't come because we have no European football, do you think he should just go out and spend money on players he doesn't want just to stop tarts like you whinging on a football forum?

I'm a tart now for having an opinion?

He said he's missed out on targets, and directed the blame towards the board, lets not forget that here.

Guest Invicta_Toon

That's a hell of a lot better than Roeder ever did, especially considering he probably wouldn't have even heard about guys like Rozenhal, Dragutinovic, and Cacapa.

:lol:

aged 27, 31 and 31. No Premiership experience

aye Roeder's the tit here alright