Best formation for our squad

Skirge
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For Bolton:

-------------------------------------- Given --------------------------------------

Solano --------------- Taylor ----------------- Rozehnal ----------- Enrique

Milner --------------- Geremi ----------------- Butt ---------------- N'Zogbia

------------------------- Smith ----------------- Martins ------------------------

Subs: Harper, Cacapa, Luque, Viduka, Ameobi

Viduka won't be ready i don't think, we'll have to be careful with him - considering he's an injury prone player anyway, or can be. If we don't deal with him properly then we'll shoot ourselves in the foot. Sam's dead keen on Smith, obviously, and he did well yesterday according to just about everyone, and will be dead up for it. He didn't work with Viduka apparantely, but i reckon that's just too slow a combination to work - he might do well with Martins.

We'd have the opportunity to switch to 4-5-1, or even start with, by switching Butt/N'Zogbia for Viduka/Shola.

------------------------------------ Geremi --------------------------------------

------------------- Smith --------------------------- N'Zogbia -----------------

-- Milner ------------------------- Viduka ----------------------------- Martins

Madness how with just one switch of the attacking staff, we can totally rejuvinate our formation.

Anyhow, i'll leave it up to Sam.

For Bolton:

-------------------------------------- Given --------------------------------------

------------------------- Smith ----------------- Martins ------------------------

Viduka won't be ready i don't think, we'll have to be careful with him - considering he's an injury prone player anyway, or can be. If we don't deal with him properly then we'll shoot ourselves in the foot. Sam's dead keen on Smith, obviously, and he did well yesterday according to just about everyone, and will be dead up for it. He didn't work with Viduka apparantely, but i reckon that's just too slow a combination to work - he might do well with Martins.

We'd have the opportunity to switch to 4-5-1, or even start with, by switching Butt/N'Zogbia for Viduka/Shola.

------------------------------------ Geremi --------------------------------------

------------------- Smith --------------------------- N'Zogbia -----------------

-- Milner ------------------------- Viduka ----------------------------- Martins

Madness how with just one switch of the attacking staff, we can totally rejuvinate our formation.

I'd agree with this formation for Bolton, although Sam has said he doesn't want to throw Enrique in yet so I'm sure he'd be ready for the next game after.

In place of Enrique in that formation............well definately NOT huntington and if I had a choice it wouldn't be Ramage either but maybe we have little choice right now.

This is why I really hope we sign Dragu, he can shift to LB or CB if need be.

If he's not going to use Enrique I would go for:

------------Given-------------

Carr---Taylor---Roz----Zoggy

Solano---Geremi---Butt---Milner

-----Smith-----Viduka----

Bring on Martins and Luque in 2nd half for Viduka and Solano and wipe the floor with the west coast wannkers...

For Bolton:

I'd go with the 4-3-3 option.

Put in Carr for Solano though and possibly Drago (if signed in time) instead of Enrique.

And also Butt in place of N'Zogbia.

In general I think all signs are pointing towards us playing 4-3-3, given the number of CM's we have.

Very interested to see how Owen does in a 4-3-3, if he ever gets fit.

At the moment I would go with this, while we have injuries

------------------------Given

Nobby------Cacapa-----------Roze-----------Enrique

Milner------Geremi-----------Smith-----------Zoggy

-------------Viduka---------Martins

Guest sicko2ndbest

........................................................Given.....................................................................

Carr..................................Taylor...........................Roz......................................Zog

Nobby...............................Geremi..........................Butt.......................................Milner

....................................................Smith....................................................................

.................................................................Viduka

Enrique

Cacapa

Martins

Dyer

Ameobi

........................................................Given.....................................................................

Carr..................................Taylor...........................Roz......................................Zog

Nobby...............................Geremi..........................Butt.......................................Milner

....................................................Smith....................................................................

.................................................................Viduka

Enrique

Cacapa

Martins

Dyer

Ameobi

That exact side in that exact system looked pretty lame yesterday tbh. :lol:

Guest unrealterrorist

Howay then its a bit of fun, trying to second guess what Sam will do.

-------------------Given

-------Taylor----Cacapa------Roze------

Nobby---------------------------------Zoggy

-------------------Barton

---Milner---------------------------Duff

------------------------Viduka

---------------Owen

BENCH

Harper

Carr

Butt

Smith

Martins

I guess the won that we win the most games with :parky:

Guest Oz Toon

Geremi------Roze----------Tayls----------Zoggs

Carr            Cacapp        Ramage      Enrique

Solano------Butt-----------Smith----------Milner

Troisi          Emre            Barton          Duff

Dyer

Martins-------Duke

Owen          Shola

Luque          Carrol

The first in each position is what I think we will start with at Bolton since BSA stated he would go with those who had done a fair bit of pre season. I note the depth in each position now is very good with the exception of another CB to replace Ramage. Not just because I'm in OZ - but I really like the look of Troisi, as an attacking midfielder he will hopefully have many years playing with the Toon.

We also have amazing versatility to make tactical switches with the formation, particularly with Geremi, zoggy and solano being able to play wing backs, full backs as well as across the middle. Also Smith, Troisi can play as attacking midfielders etc. I'm just looking forward to seeing how the team is used at home and away.

I was a bit of SBA doubter, so I'll give the man some credit, at this very early stage he has me very optimistic about the steel and flair of the team. Top 6.

Guest Moe-Ali

Given

Cacapa  Rozenhal  Dragutinović  Enrique

Geremi

Milner                  Zoggy

Smith

Viduka        Martins

Harper

Taylor..up and comer

Barton..dont drop the soap

Luque..hardly fit, unluky

Owen..never fit

My guess:

...........................Harper..........................

Carr........Taylor..............Rozz.............Zoggy

......................Ron.........Butt........................

Dyer.....................Smith......................Oba

...........................Viduka............................

Team i expect:

Harper

Carr           Taylor             Rozehnal        Zoggy

Butt

Geremi

Smith

Martins                                            Milner

Ameobi

Why's everyone putting Smith in attacking midfield? he isn't an attacking midfielder. If he plays striker he plays right up top, if he plays in midfield he plays a more holding approach, it's simple.

so why did allardyce put him as an attacking mid second half v samp?

Why's everyone putting Smith in attacking midfield? he isn't an attacking midfielder. If he plays striker he plays right up top, if he plays in midfield he plays a more holding approach, it's simple.

Did you watch the Sampdoria match?

He played very much as hard working midfielder, not attacking or defensive. His energy means he can cater for both jobs getting involved in both the tackling and the attacking. If we play with 3 centre midfielders (Geremi,Butt and Smith) Smith is going to be the one with a licence to get forward above the rest.

He played very much as hard working midfielder, not attacking or defensive. His energy means he can cater for both jobs getting involved in both the tackling and the attacking. If we play with 3 centre midfielders (Geremi,Butt and Smith) Smith is going to be the one with a licence to get forward above the rest.

out of those 3, you're right.

But that doesn't mean he's GOOD at it, of course, or that he'd necessarily be the "free roaming" midfielder if we had other players next to him.

But that doesn't mean he's GOOD at it, of course, or that he'd necessarily be the "free roaming" midfielder if we had other players next to him.

No no. Smiths the kind of player that we all know what we are going to get from him, regardless of position. I don't think Sam every does the free roaming thing but IF we were to play with those three i'd expect Smith to play in a similar position to what Nolan does at Bolton. The two players aren't too dis-similar.

No no. Smiths the kind of player that we all know what we are going to get from him, regardless of position. I don't think Sam every does the free roaming thing but IF we were to play with those three i'd expect Smith to play in a similar position to what Nolan does at Bolton. The two players aren't too dis-similar.

I'm not a Noaln fan per se, but he's a damned sight bettter than Dirty Smith.

I'm expecting soem Parker-esque long range sliding tackles, lots of bluff and bluster, and not a lot else, but who knows, maybe all the Man Utd fans are wrong.

I'm not a Noaln fan per se, but he's a damned sight bettter than Dirty Smith.

I'm expecting soem Parker-esque long range sliding tackles, lots of bluff and bluster, and not a lot else, but who knows, maybe all the Man Utd fans are wrong.

Lets not forget this is an away game. What Smith doesn't give us in attack he will make up in security and he's a better finsher/headerer than most midfield players so at least if he gets his chance he knows what to do with it. Personally i think its sad that we might have to go and play on the counter against Bolton but if it means an improvement on last season i won't complain.

Your right that Smith doesn't possess major quality but he is a very good utility player.

So many f*cking options it's great! (based on fully-fit squad)

4-4-2.

GK - Given

RB - Carr

LB - Enrique

CB - Taylor

CB - Rozehnal

RM - Milner

LM - N'Zogbia

CM - Barton

CM - Geremi

CF - Owen

CF - Viduka

3-5-2

GK - Given

CB - Cacapa

CB - Rozehnal

CB - Taylor

RWB - Geremi

LWB - Enrique

DCM - Butt

CM - Smith

CM - Barton

CF - Owen

CF - Viduka

4-3-3

GK - Given

RB - Carr

LB - Enrique

CB - Rozehnal

CB - Taylor

CM - Geremi

CM - Barton

CM - Smith

CF - Owen

CF - Viduka

CF - Martins

4-5-1

GK - Given

RB - Carr

LB - Enrique

CB - Rozehnal

CB - Taylor

RM - Milner

LM - N'Zogbia

CM - Barton

CM - Geremi

CM - Smith

CF - Viduka

So many f*cking options it's great! (based on fully-fit squad)

4-4-2.

GK - Given

RB - Carr

LB - Enrique

CB - Taylor

CB - Rozehnal

RM - Milner

LM - N'Zogbia

CM - Barton

CM - Geremi

CF - Owen

CF - Viduka

3-5-2

GK - Given

CB - Cacapa

CB - Rozehnal

CB - Taylor

RWB - Geremi

LWB - Enrique

DCM - Butt

CM - Smith

CM - Barton

CF - Owen

CF - Viduka

4-3-3

GK - Given

RB - Carr

LB - Enrique

CB - Rozehnal

CB - Taylor

CM - Geremi

CM - Barton

CM - Smith

CF - Owen

CF - Viduka

CF - Martins

4-5-1

GK - Given

RB - Carr

LB - Enrique

CB - Rozehnal

CB - Taylor

RM - Milner

LM - N'Zogbia

CM - Barton

CM - Geremi

CM - Smith

CF - Viduka

Carr?? Fuck that with a pointy stick.

Well until we get a new one there's not much option really.

A wing combination/service provider of Milner and Solano is just an enticing prospect (Nobby at RB), in my opinion. Carr's done alright in pre-season, but Nobby playing balls from deep gives us a whole new playmaker; and with the likes of Viduka, Smith and Owen up top with their aerial ability - it's a canny prospect, i reckon.