Baines signs for Everton

Guest hindu times

Putting Taylor at RB is about the dumbest thing anyone could do right now, especially who you are shifting him for.

Agreed.  the lad is a centre back through and through. 

Its not like he hasn't proved himself there. He was easily our best defender last season, it would not only be an utter cheek to move him to RB, but it would aslo hinder his progress by putting him there.

Even more idiotic are people pairing Rozy (a lighter defender) with Cacapa who by all accounts is small, lightweight & injured quite a bit. Two soft CB's, yeah that makes perfect fuking sense.

People are jumping the gun a bit here aren't they. We'v only had a couple of news stories, anyone thought this could jsut be his agent trying to speed up the deal to everton?

Sol Campbell & Jamie Carragher spent a lot of their early years at right-back even though it was clear they were more suited to centre-back. Did them no harm whatsoever.

Exactly. Taylor is only 21 (I think). Will do him no harm whatsoever to have a couple of seasons in a lower risk position as he matures as a player.

Sol Campbell & Jamie Carragher spent a lot of their early years at right-back even though it was clear they were more suited to centre-back. Did them no harm whatsoever.

Sol didn't play much there, i always remember him from an early age being a CB. Carragher was classed as very average until his move to CB, which just proves my point in a nutshell.

Exactly. Taylor is only 21 (I think). Will do him no harm whatsoever to have a couple of seasons in a lower risk position as he matures as a player.

He's maturing fine at CB, he doesn't need a spell at RB, it would be a pointless exercise that should only be carried out in a total emergency.

Don't think anyone is suggesting it would do him harm at right back, but surely this is the time to nail a proper right back (or at least a decent natural right back youngster to back up Carr) so that we don't resort to playing a giant centre back out of position at right back, i.e Taylor.  If we lose Carr, Solano and a centre back to injury, where do we play Taylor? - Surely safer to have him at centre back and someone else covering the right back spot.

Sol didn't play much there, i always remember him from an early age being a CB. Carragher was classed as very average until his move to CB, which just proves my point in a nutshell.

Played in midfield a bit before becoming settled as a centre-half iirc (Campbell that is). It won't necessarily be bad for Taylor to play right-back sometimes though, it's another option against big, physical sides. He can also play as part of a back three when required.

He's maturing fine at CB, he doesn't need a spell at RB, it would be a pointless exercise that should only be carried out in a total emergency.

Maturing fine? Seemed to make a lot of mistakes last season for someone maturing "fine".

Guest firetotheworks

People are jumping the gun a bit here aren't they. We'v only had a couple of news stories, anyone thought this could jsut be his agent trying to speed up the deal to everton?

Thats what I think it is like. Hope Im wrong, I've wanted us to go for Baines for a while.

Maturing fine? Seemed to make a lot of mistakes last season for someone maturing "fine".

At that age defenders make mistakes, he's about as accomplished as any 20-21 year old CB in the league.

TBH both Geremi and Nobby are very comfortable at right back. We also have alot of injuries in defence so the chances are that Taylor will end up playing there anyway but i personally don't think it will harm his progress playing at right back alongside three experianced centre backs. If anything it will do him the world of good learning from them, centre back would be ideal though.

At that age defenders make mistakes, he's about as accomplished as any 20-21 year old CB in the league.

I think Smoggie has a point though, I think his development has stuttered over the last season or so. I expect Allardyce to put that right though.

Played in midfield a bit before becoming settled as a centre-half iirc (Campbell that is). It won't necessarily be bad for Taylor to play right-back sometimes though, it's another option against big, physical sides. He can also play as part of a back three when required.

Which is fine, but lining him up as a RB when looking at our defence is just plain stupid. People doing it in the formations thread as well, need their fuking heads read.

Same fuking idiots who'll go mental if you suggest playing Barton as a DMC.  :lol:

Wouldn't it be better to make his mistakes out wide though, and let a much more accomplished (at the moment) CB do a better job? Then when he's learned his trade in a couple of years (when, may I add, he's still young for a CB), he can revert into the centre and be a top top centre back, that hasn't harmed the team as he was produced.

I think Smoggie has a point though, I think his development has stuttered over the last season or so. I expect Allardyce to put that right though.

It came on leaps and bounds last season, a perfect season for him ruined by a handful of stupid antics imo. Some of them 100% his fault, and i've berated him for that, some because he's been totally let down by the man beside him.

This season he'll become a rock, cut out the mistakes and cement himself in the heart of defence, putting him at RB is about the biggest mistake we could make in his career to date. I'm just glad NUFC is now run by someone with a clue, and it simply won't happen.

TBH both Geremi and Nobby are very comfortable at right back. We also have alot of injuries in defence so the chances are that Taylor will end up playing there anyway but i personally don't think it will harm his progress playing at right back alongside three experianced centre backs. If anything it will do him the world of good learning from them, centre back would be ideal though.

Geremi, Nobby and Taylor can all put in a good shift at right back.  Agreed.  However, why not sign a right back so you don't need to rely on playing someone out of their natural position? - We all know that injuries will hit us next year, hopefully not as bad as recent years, so why rely on these players to cover Carr when we need them playing elsewhere on the pitch.

Putting Taylor at RB is about the dumbest thing anyone could do right now, especially who you are shifting him for.

Agreed.  the lad is a centre back through and through. 

Its not like he hasn't proved himself there. He was easily our best defender last season, it would not only be an utter cheek to move him to RB, but it would aslo hinder his progress by putting him there.

Even more idiotic are people pairing Rozy (a lighter defender) with Cacapa who by all accounts is small, lightweight & injured quite a bit. Two soft CB's, yeah that makes perfect fuking sense.

Taylor will play at CB but he will most likely be brought of the bench. To describe Cacapa as small and lightweight is so bizarre it isn't even funny. Have you ever seen him play?

Rozehnal has looked great so far and is an experienced Czech international while Cacapa's experience cannot be questioned. As long as these two are fit I cannot see Taylor playing ahead of either.

Taylor right now is a prospect and he will no doubt get his fair share of games but I'm not sure a first team place will be guaranteed for him this season. No matter how much of a crush you have on him  :razz:

It came on leaps and bounds last season, a perfect season for him ruined by a handful of stupid antics imo. Some of them 100% his fault, and i've berated him for that, some because he's been totally let down by the man beside him.

This season he'll become a rock, cut out the mistakes and cement himself in the heart of defence, putting him at RB is about the biggest mistake we could make in his career to date. I'm just glad NUFC is now run by someone with a clue, and it simply won't happen.

He made a mistake 40 minutes into his first match this season, which cost him an injury.

Whether you want to admit it or not, although he has the potential to be one of the best, at such a young age it is asking fartoo much for a 21yo lad to be our main centre back for a full campaign.

Which is fine, but lining him up as a RB when looking at our defence is just plain stupid. People doing it in the formations thread as well, need their fuking heads read.

Same fuking idiots who'll go mental if you suggest playing Barton as a DMC.  :lol:

Plenty of managers have put there young centre backs at right back in order to learn the defensive trade off more experianced centre halves. Personally, as long as Taylor is in the defence somewhere i know he will do a good job and he will learn alot. Albeit as a full back or centre back.

Saying it will stop his progress is bullshit.

Wouldn't it be better to make his mistakes out wide though, and let a much more accomplished (at the moment) CB do a better job? Then when he's learned his trade in a couple of years (when, may I add, he's still young for a CB), he can revert into the centre and be a top top centre back, that hasn't harmed the team as he was produced.

If there were some serious flaws with him, it should of been done with Bramble after season 1, but it wasn't. Taylor doesn't need this, he only needs to have more games in a settled back line coached by a good manager and get another years worth of experience behind him. He knows what his mistakes last season were, he won't make them again. He's changed a lot, and will keep changing, we need to keep pushing him forward an not sideways, we've took the biggest risk, we've almost fully blooded him at CB, lets not push him to the side now.

He made a mistake 40 minutes into his first match this season, which cost him an injury.

Whether you want to admit it or not, although he has the potential to be one of the best, at such a young age it is asking fartoo much for a 21yo lad to be our main centre back for a full campaign.

The voice of reason.

If there were some serious flaws with him, it should of been done with Bramble after season 1, but it wasn't. Taylor doesn't need this, he only needs to have more games in a settled back line coached by a good manager and get another years worth of experience behind him. He knows what his mistakes last season were, he won't make them again. He's changed a lot, and will keep changing, we need to keep pushing him forward an not sideways, we've took the biggest risk, we've almost fully blooded him at CB, lets not push him to the side now.

You're not going to listen anyway, so i'm not going to bother anymore.