Aston Villa (H) Pre-Match Thread

NSG

Guest jamesmartinsmith

I would go with the 3-1 back in January but I reckon O'Neill will tighten the defence after the performance against Liverpool.

2-1 to us, just.

Would be a shame to draw this nevermind lose after the Bolton win, but the EPL is so tough and Villa have some decent players, it could easily happen.

I'm hoping for a win, it would be a great start to the season to win the 1st two games, how many times have we done that in the EPL?

Would be a shame to draw this nevermind lose after the Bolton win, but the EPL is so tough and Villa have some decent players, it could easily happen.

I'm hoping for a win, it would be a great start to the season to win the 1st two games, how many times have we done that in the EPL?

3 times: 94-95, 95-96, 97-98.

3 times: 94-95, 95-96, 97-98.

Knew of one, didn't honestly think it would be 3! (which is still terrible)

So its been 10 years since the last time!

I dont think he drop Zog fore the villa game. Will most likely ease Enrique into premiership life, so expect to see zog play. Tell you what Owen will find it very hard to get back into the team now cos i think Oba and Milner are perfectly suited in the 4-3-3 formation that Sam uses. Unsure if Owen will suit it  :undecided:

Guest tuppence

Anything less than a win and I'd be disappointed, I can see Viduka scoring. Im surprised at the pessimism, we should win hopefully Enrique will play and we'll see MO. I think we might start with the same team as Bolton.

The absense of Enrique from the reserves suggests he is fit and ready to start.

I think we'll see:

Harper

Carr Rozehnal Taylor Enrique

Milner Smith Geremi N'Zogbia

Martins Viduka

Subs:

Forster

Cacapa

Butt

Ameobi

Owen

He may play 4-4-2 this game because we don't need to stifle the game like we planned to do at Bolton. More creativity will be needed as we're going to be the team expected to be on the offensive.

Edit - James' team is spot on. Would be the starting eleven I'd prefer to see. Maybe Smith and Butt will switch places, and Smith comes on if we need another attacking option.

Guest shaun11177

Oh its a different scenario entirely-now we have to show we can beat a ten man defence-support must stay calm if its 0-0 at half time.

Oh its a different scenario entirely-now we have to show we can beat a ten man defence-support must stay calm if its 0-0 at half time.

It won't be. We will score within 20 minutes then proceed to dismantle the brummie half-wits with an breathtaking display of luck and sexual virility

I'm gonna go for 2 or 3-1 to us.... 3-1. I know I'd probably have taken 4 points from the first 2 games before the start but we've won the hardest of the first 2, so now 6 points isnt beyond us.

4-5-1 again, and likely the same team IMO.

Might be tempted to drop Butt in favour of someone a bit more attack-minded in midfield. Or possibly drop Carr and push Geremi to RB to achieve the same thing.

I'd expect we'll go with the same team though.

I think we'll see:

Harper

Martins Viduka

Subs:

Forster

Cacapa

Butt

Ameobi

Owen

I think we'll see those players, but in a 4-3-3. No matter how well Butt played at Bolton, I don't think there is any need to play him in this match.

Harper

Carr  Rozehnal  Taylor  Enrique

Geremi

Smith      N'Zogbia

Milner                            Martins

Viduka

Hopefully

Defensively should see Jose Enrique debut we can't keep getting away with N'Zogbia there for the good of the team and the player himself and I think it would be a disaster waiting to happen to play Carr up against the pace of Ashley Young so hopefully Geremi goes Right Back as is expected anyway when Joey Barton returns.

Attacking wise Solano technique and passing is needed at Home another performance like his one at St James against Celtic in pre season should give Martins and Viduka good service along with Milner good delivery from the Left of late.

Harper

Geremi Rozehnal Taylor Enrique

Solano Smith Butt Milner

Martins Viduka

Subs:

Forster

Cacapa

N'Zogbia

Dyer

Owen

Owen, Dyer, N'Zogbia three fantastic attacking options off the bench

Newcastle 3 v 1 Aston Villa

Martins x2 Viduka - Carew

Guest ExiledGeordie

There;s no way I'd drop Butt. I'd be surprised if Enrique starts mind, more likely to come on as a sub? Others will know more about his fitness I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if its exactly the same team.

I think we'll see:

Harper

Martins Viduka

Subs:

Forster

Cacapa

Butt

Ameobi

Owen

I think we'll see those players, but in a 4-3-3. No matter how well Butt played at Bolton, I don't think there is any need to play him in this match.

Villa will be no pushover though, we'll still need to win the battle in midfield.

Just give the wide players less defensive responsibility and the full-backs and Smith and Geremi more licence to get forward. We can still approcah the game more attack minded without changing the personnel.

I'd hope we'll start with the same team, we still have more than enough attacking quality on the field to go at them without dropping Butt.

I think we'll see the same team but a different bench with Enrique and possibly Owen this time around.

As with the Bolton game I think it's a case of getting at them early. With a new manager, first home game of the season, the players will have all the motivation they need. I'm quite confident about this one, but Villa are a decent side and have proven they can be a hard team to break down. With height in Carew and pace in the likes of Agbonlahor they have ingredients to give us problems, I just hope we'll have too much for them at home.

It's tempting to go 4-4-2 and try to open the game up, letting our superior attacking players and home advantage do the talking, but I'd be happy enough to stick with the team, players and formation which have served us well in recent weeks.