Old thread about a potential Icelandic takeover bid years ago

Power NUFC

There could be a huge eruption at any time. But things may remain dormant for several years.

I'm looking forward to finding out what these geysers are up to.

Blatently stolen from .com. :lol:

I hadn't actually. Bah! Bastards have stolen my thunder. >:(

I'm still claiming the gag though.

Guest Alfie Romeo

Just now in Icelandic media:

Icelandic takeover bid rejected by duo

Reports from yesterday linking Icelandic business tycoons, Jon Asgeir Johannesson and Palmi Haraldsson, with a bid to buy english premiership club Newcastle has been rejected by spokesmen from both camps.  Johannesson's spokesman made a statement on the matter this evening: "Jon Asgeir is not involved in any bid to buy an English football team.  In fact, he is not a fan of football.  We would like to take this opportunity and deny any involvement with any bid."  Meanwhile Haraldsson's spokesman also denied the story: "Haraldsson is not in the country at the moment but I can confirm that he is not interested in aquiring a football team."

Reports from yesterday linking Icelandic business tycoons, Jon Asgeir Johannesson and Palmi Haraldsson, with a bid to buy english premiership club Newcastle has been rejected by spokesmen from both camps.  Johannesson's spokesman made a statement on the matter this evening: "Jon Asgeir is not involved in any bid to buy an English football team.  In fact, he is not a fan of football.  We would like to take this opportunity and deny any involvement with any bid."  Meanwhile Haraldsson's spokesman also denied the story: "Haraldsson is not in the country at the moment but I can confirm that he is not interested in aquiring a football team."

Cheers fella.

Heartbroken.

If it went through I was hoping to start a 'The Iceman Bummeth?' thread, full of random and senseless speculation that they were only buying us to rape our resources.

Very confusing because after the duo denied making a bid, former Bolton defender Gudni Bergsson, comes on TV and says he's on route become Sam Allardyces assistant manager but only if the Icelanders take over the club, which they have denied. Unbelieveble.

In Icelandic:

http://www.visir.is/article/20070820/FRETTIR01/70820114/-1/frontpage

where does he say he is to become BSA assistant manager ? O0 o0

Guest Alfie Romeo

Very confusing because after the duo denied making a bid, former Bolton defender Gudni Bergsson, comes on TV and says he's on route become Sam Allardyces assistant manager but only if the Icelanders take over the club, which they have denied. Unbelieveble.

In Icelandic:

Erm about halfway through the interview. "I expect this to go through very soon.  I've been told I will be appointed assistant manager to my mate Sam Allardyce." Pretty hard to miss.

Link?

And aren't you the person that said Eidur Gudjohnsen was coming to Newcastle, and a deal had been struck between Barcelona and Newcastle?

In Icelandic:

Erm about halfway through the interview. "I expect this to go through very soon.  I've been told I will be appointed assistant manager to my mate Sam Allardyce." Pretty hard to miss.

hmm watched it 2 times now not heard it... will give it a 3rd go when i get back from getting food.... and yeah where is that news about the rejection on what media? mbl ? vísir? gras.is ? :p

In Icelandic:

He never says that in that interview.

In Icelandic:

He never says that in that interview.

oh good, thought i had lost my marbles for a minute there.... :)

What does he say?

He's just talking about wheather it would be a good investment buying NUFC, and Gudni even states in the interview that this has still to be confirmed and this is still just talk.