Old thread about a potential Icelandic takeover bid years ago

Power NUFC

Oh, please. We know it's a s**** story. but don't start the "we're bigger than Spurs" crap again. Because it makes us look stupid.

It's not a "we're bigger than spurs thing," it's a spurs fan perpetuating the tabloid driven crap that annoys me.

It's not me perpetuating a tabloid driven story, it was something I heard about a few days ago and said so on page 4 of this thread and before there was any suggestion that Ashley might sell to Icelanders or anyone else:

It could be plausible.  There have been rumours going around for the past couple of days that Paul Kemsley is looking to buy out Levy/Enic.  Whilst he is a seriously wealthy multi-millionaire, he still doesn't have the financial clout to buy the club and progress his ambitions.  Doing the deal with his best mate backing him would make some sense. 

Not suggesting that this is anything but a hypothetical situation but I wouldn't say it would never happen.

It's not a 'we're bigger than you' or vice versa thing, the fact is that Ashley lives in Totteridge, his best mate is the Spurs Deputy Chairman and in the past has often gone with him to WHL.  I'm not saying it will happen, but if Ashley does sell NUFC, there is logic in thinking he might then go in for Spurs.

Personally I just don't get why someone would empty their pocket to the tune of 150m just to sell it all a few months later for a insignificant profit, in the scheme of his money dealings, just to buy into a club that "his mate is involved in" when they could of organised something together in the first place, without all the headaches Ashley has been through.

From the Newcastle side of things, maybe the financial situation not being quite what it seemed could play a part.  From the Spurs side, it's well known that Levy has been approached by a number of parties and the asking price has been a deterrent.  Spurs' dealings over the past few days has affected the perceived value of the club.  With Kemsley's known desire to buy Spurs and Ashley's believed willingness to sell NUFC, it may not be too far fetched to put the two together.  Not suggesting for a minute that this is concrete, but as I said on page 4, it is plausible.

Oh, please. We know it's a s**** story. but don't start the "we're bigger than Spurs" crap again. Because it makes us look stupid.

It's not a "we're bigger than spurs thing," it's a spurs fan perpetuating the tabloid driven crap that annoys me.

It's not me perpetuating a tabloid driven story, it was something I heard about a few days ago and said so on page 4 of this thread and before there was any suggestion that Ashley might sell to Icelanders or anyone else:

It could be plausible.  There have been rumours going around for the past couple of days that Paul Kemsley is looking to buy out Levy/Enic.  Whilst he is a seriously wealthy multi-millionaire, he still doesn't have the financial clout to buy the club and progress his ambitions.  Doing the deal with his best mate backing him would make some sense. 

Not suggesting that this is anything but a hypothetical situation but I wouldn't say it would never happen.

It's not a 'we're bigger than you' or vice versa thing, the fact is that Ashley lives in Totteridge, his best mate is the Spurs Deputy Chairman and in the past has often gone with him to WHL.  I'm not saying it will happen, but if Ashley does sell NUFC, there is logic in thinking he might then go in for Spurs.

Personally I just don't get why someone would empty their pocket to the tune of 150m just to sell it all a few months later for a insignificant profit, in the scheme of his money dealings, just to buy into a club that "his mate is involved in" when they could of organised something together in the first place, without all the headaches Ashley has been through.

From the Newcastle side of things, maybe the financial situation not being quite what it seemed could play a part.  From the Spurs side, it's well known that Levy has been approached by a number of parties and the asking price has been a deterrent.  Spurs' dealings over the past few days has affected the perceived value of the club.  With Kemsley's known desire to buy Spurs and Ashley's believed willingness to sell NUFC, it may not be too far fetched to put the two together.  Not suggesting for a minute that this is concrete, but as I said on page 4, it is plausible.

Its desperate wishful thinking on your (and the London Media) behalf.

So with Ramos rejecting your offer, where does that leave you?

From the Newcastle side of things, maybe the financial situation not being quite what it seemed could play a part.  From the Spurs side, it's well known that Levy has been approached by a number of parties and the asking price has been a deterrent.  Spurs' dealings over the past few days has affected the perceived value of the club.  With Kemsley's known desire to buy Spurs and Ashley's believed willingness to sell NUFC, it may not be too far fetched to put the two together.   Not suggesting for a minute that this is concrete, but as I said on page 4, it is plausible.

Why is it that much wishful thinking? Ashley has hardly been brilliant so far - he's done nowt wrong, and is CLEARLY better than the Fat Man, but it's not like he's pumped a gazillion pounds into the first team, or owt.

He seems like a decent enough owner, so far, no more.

:lol: I can't see it myself. Ashley wipes £30m off the debt before trying to sell the club. He also lets it be known that the reason he wants to sell is because of the financial mess the club is in. I can't see how that's going to make him turn a profit. Unless he'll take a loss on the club. That makes no sense either. It's all made up imo.

Why is it that much wishful thinking? Ashley has hardly been brilliant so far - he's done nowt wrong, and is CLEARLY better than the Fat Man, but it's not like he's pumped a gazillion pounds into the first team, or owt.

Because he is looking for a reason for change, a reason for the incompetence shown so far by the Spurs board, that if a takeover is in the wings them letting go of their manager at this time seems more plausible.

Heaven forbid they've just fuked up big style, ala NUFC of old style.

Making more of our slight financial discrepancy to add weight to the story smacks of desperation. Not quite all what it seems? What £10m difference so Ashley is going to go running? Fuking doubt it.

From the Newcastle side of things, maybe the financial situation not being quite what it seemed could play a part.  From the Spurs side, it's well known that Levy has been approached by a number of parties and the asking price has been a deterrent.  Spurs' dealings over the past few days has affected the perceived value of the club.  With Kemsley's known desire to buy Spurs and Ashley's believed willingness to sell NUFC, it may not be too far fetched to put the two together.   Not suggesting for a minute that this is concrete, but as I said on page 4, it is plausible.

Because he is looking for a reason for change, a reason for the incompetence shown so far by the Spurs board, that if a takeover is in the wings them letting go of their manager at this time seems more plausible.

Making more of our slight financial discrepancy to add weight to the story smacks of desperation. Not quite all what it seems? What £10m difference so Ashley is going to go running? Fuking doubt it.

i'm not saying i believe the story - i don't.

I'm talking about it being wishful thinking from a Spurs fan - i don't think Ashley would be top of anyones list if they got to 'wish' for a chairman, is what i meant.

I'm talking about it being wishful thinking from a Spurs fan - i don't think Ashley would be top of anyones list if they got to 'wish' for a chairman, is what i meant.

But its about the only story the London media can come up with right now. He's a friend, he's got money, he's got a football club. 'Right lads, i think i've found Spurs' Saviour, get it printed'.

MJ's willingness to bring it to our attention and to want to believe in it is beyond desperate.

But its about the only story the London media can come up with right now. He's a friend, he's got money, he's got a football club. 'Right lads, i think i've found Spurs' Saviour, get it printed'.

MJ's willingness to bring it to our attention and to want to believe in it is beyond desperate.

The media is always full of shite, people believe some stupid things.

Ashley to Spurs, Ronaldo/Rooney/Riquelme to NUFC, they print stuff to get a response.

There are enough idiots on here who believe everything they read in the press, if we slated them all it would take all day.

The media is always full of shite, people believe some stupid things.

Ashley to Spurs, Ronaldo/Rooney/Riquelme to NUFC, they print stuff to get a response.

There are enough idiots on here who believe everything they read in the press, if we slated them all it would take all day.

But we do tbf.

As a forum we really don't take anything for word unless its come from the horses mouth. Now this shit might wash and appease a couple of clowns on the Spuds forums, but to bring that shite on here and to cling to it for dear life is going to get a reaction.

MJ (both poster & manager) are very desperate people right now.

But we do tbf.

As a forum we really don't take anything for word unless its come from the horses mouth. Now this shit might wash and appease a couple of clowns on the Spuds forums, but to bring that shite on here and to cling to it for dear life is going to get a reaction.

There are many here who believe owt, frankly.

But we do tbf.

You'll want to believe it when its good, and dismiss it when its bad, and that's exactly what MJ is doing right now. Dismissing the bad with a story which brings some reason to the whole mess, to involve us just gives him more satisfaction and why he's here posting up like its not all bad and he could possibly take something from us along the way.

I just don't want people to fall for his shit, like many have done plenty of times on here.

But we do tbf.

You'll want to believe it when its good, and dismiss it when its bad, and that's exactly what MJ is doing right now. Dismissing the bad with a story which brings some reason to the whole mess, to involve us just gives him more satisfaction and why he's here posting up like its not all bad and he could possibly take something from us along the way.

I just don't want people to fall for his shit, like many have done plenty of times on here.

I know what you mean, but you won't stop people. Its the same as in the Fat Man days, peopel fell for us signing every great player under the sun, RIGHT AROUND SEASON TICKET RENEWAL TIME. :lol:

:lol: I can't see it myself. Ashley wipes £30m off the debt before trying to sell the club. He also lets it be known that the reason he wants to sell is because of the financial mess the club is in. I can't see how that's going to make him turn a profit. Unless he'll take a loss on the club. That makes no sense either. It's all made up imo.

Maybe Ashley's weighing up a £30 million loss against the greater earning potential presented by Spurs.

I'm in the "no smoke without fire" camp on this but none of this really makes business sense. But then, I doubt traditional business sense applies in this scenario.

Can I put my hand in the air and say that I believe Jol is talking to load of bollocks.

If Ashley gets things right we're potentially a bigger club that Spurs, mainly because we're not right next door to the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea. It would make no sense at all to sell at a loss and then buy another football club which is going to find it ten times harder to reach that 'global brand' status that was mentioned in the press when Ashley first bought us.

What I don't understand is that if Mike Ashley is such good friends with Paul Kemsley, and the latter now wants him to buy Spurs, why didn't he suggest to Ashley to hold fire for a few months.  It just doesn't make sense to me that you would buy a football club only to sell it on a couple of months later.

However, I too think there is "no smoke without fire".  What other newly taken over club has suddenly been plagued by rumours of takeovers within such a short space of time.

Can I put my hand in the air and say that I believe Jol is talking to load of bollocks.

If Ashley gets things right we're potentially a bigger club that Spurs, mainly because we're not right next door to the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea. It would make no sense at all to sell at a loss and then buy another football club which is going to find it ten times harder to reach that 'global brand' status that was mentioned in the press when Ashley first bought us.

Spot on.

Things keep going the way they are this time next season were pulling away form Spurs in every aspect.

The potential of the club is much greater than Spurs, always has been, always will be and that's what attracted Ashley to the club. Spurs are running at 95% of its potential, were about 60% and ATM there is nothing apart from a season between us.

Spot on.

Things keep going the way they are this time next season were pulling away form Spurs in every aspect.

The potential of the club is much greater than Spurs, always has been, always will be and that's what attracted Ashley to the club. Spurs are running at 95% of its potential, were about 60% and ATM there is nothing apart from a season between us.

I'm sorry, but: :lol:

Ashley wouldn't have bought Newcastle if he'd wanted Spurs, Spurs do not have a ground that can hold 52,000 fans, that puts Newcastle streets ahead of clubs like Spurs, not just the actual capacity but also the number of people who turn up every week.

I don't think anybody doubts why Ashley has bought Newcastle, it's to make money from the club, I doubt very much that he's going to sell Newcastle and buy Spurs, it'll not happen.

The media is always full of s****, people believe some stupid things.

But we do tbf.

As a forum we really don't take anything for word unless its come from the horses mouth. Now this s*** might wash and appease a couple of clowns on the Spuds forums, but to bring that s**** on here and to cling to it for dear life is going to get a reaction.

I would have thought Levy would be more desperate right now than MJ the manager.  Levy and the board have fucked up in a big way and Ramos's last press conference has done nothing to make them feel any better.  As for me I'm not desperate about anything.  Seen highs, seen lows.  What will be tbh.

Spot on.

i'd say 63% tbh.

Spot on.

i'd say 63% tbh.

i was thinking nearer 58%, but hey, i'm only a fan, i know nowt.

• 2 years later...

Their is book coming out this week in iceland which is about all the crazy deals that  those fucking icelandic entrepreneurs  were involved in and it says that the takeover bid was going very well with ashley after  a meeting in St. Tropez which saw them agree on most part of the sale.

But the only thing that ashley demanded during the takeover procces was that it would not reach the news until the takeover  was finished.

But the two entrepreneur were spotted when they landed in reykjavik by an dyslexian customs employ  wearing newcastle uniforms,and he thougt that it was printed owner on the back of the shirt that jon was wearing insted of owen!!  from their it got to the news  and  ashley  broke the talks off.

I know that ashley has treated nufc badly but thank god that he did not sell those two idiots the club

This is the news that was broadcasted by stod 2 tonight.

http://visir.is/article/20091003/VIDSKIPTI06/479435983

this is the book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frozen-Assets-Lived-Icelands-Boom/dp/0470749547/ref=sr_1_1/280-6807918-4931801?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254607322&sr=1-1

this was in the telegraph about the book

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/5995630/Kaupthings-Armann-Thorvaldsson-pens-book-about-London-operation.html