Old thread about a potential Icelandic takeover bid years ago

Power NUFC

“It is not a short-term project for Mike Ashley or myself and I want to put that to bed straight away,” said Mort, who has revealed he will spend the majority of his time in his office at St James’s Park, despite keeping his family home in London. “If you look at the companies Mike has bought, like Dunlop and Slazenger, he has developed them over a period of 20 years.

“He does small investments like he did in adidas, which he then sells on, but that is not a whole business, it’s a minority stake. He has bought an entire asset here and the plan is to develop it over a lengthy period of time, not turn things around quickly and sell it on again.

“We are here for the long term, this is a long-term project. We are looking at how to take the club forward over various timescales. We are looking at the short term, which is making sure the team is a strong as possible for the start of the Premier League season, which means getting the squad and staff right.

“Then there is the longer time frame, like property development, which we haven’t really looked at yet at all. We have to get the foundations right here to sustain long-term goals.”

“It is not a short-term project for Mike Ashley or myself and I want to put that to bed straight away,” said Mort, who has revealed he will spend the majority of his time in his office at St James’s Park, despite keeping his family home in London. “If you look at the companies Mike has bought, like Dunlop and Slazenger, he has developed them over a period of 20 years.

“He does small investments like he did in adidas, which he then sells on, but that is not a whole business, it’s a minority stake. He has bought an entire asset here and the plan is to develop it over a lengthy period of time, not turn things around quickly and sell it on again.

“We are here for the long term, this is a long-term project. We are looking at how to take the club forward over various timescales. We are looking at the short term, which is making sure the team is a strong as possible for the start of the Premier League season, which means getting the squad and staff right.

“Then there is the longer time frame, like property development, which we haven’t really looked at yet at all. We have to get the foundations right here to sustain long-term goals.”

Cheers,  couldn't find those quotes.  It might be true that they'll launch a bid,  but it doesn't mean we're selling.

This info seems to be missing but some of Mike Ashley sport retailers are also included in the proposal that make this even more credible.

Knowing that Baugur Group are manly investing in retailers in the uk. 

Maybe they're meeting about some piece of business to do with their retail empires, and it's nothing to do with the club.

I really hope Mike Ashley rejects this bid, and while I think Shearer is a legend, I wish we could stop hearing about him for a while.

aye true id agree there shearers had his time but not as a chairman or manager yet :) if ashley has paid off 30 million pounds for the debts i am sure when you buy a company all debts have to be paid before its taken off the stock market i might be mistaken like, if these people wanna buy the club let them ashley is looking for a good profit so go for it i say

Sorry, are you mental? More unrest is the last thing we need.

I really hope Mike Ashley rejects this bid, and while I think Shearer is a legend, I wish we could stop hearing about him for a while.

aye true id agree there shearers had his time but not as a chairman or manager yet :) if ashley has paid off 30 million pounds for the debts i am sure when you buy a company all debts have to be paid before its taken off the stock market i might be mistaken like, if these people wanna buy the club let them ashley is looking for a good profit so go for it i say

:lol:

Nah. Lets go for it.  New chairman.  Might as well get a new manager in too & while we're at it,  change the backroom staff. And we've still got 2 whole weeks to overhaul the squad. 

ÉG ást the íslenska!!

This info seems to be missing but some of Mike Ashley sport retailers are also included in the proposal that make this even more credible.

Knowing that Baugur Group are manly investing in retailers in the uk. 

no if that was the case Palmi Haraldsson would just have rejected that they were in talks with him over newcastle

Maybe they're meeting about some piece of business to do with their retail empires, and it's nothing to do with the club.

no if that was the case Palmi Haraldsson would just have rejected that they were in talks with him over Newcastle, He said that he would  neither confirm or 

rejected  that they were in talks.

My guess is that they are looking to invest in the club and if that's the case then in would only make us stronger.I mean why would Mr.Mort talk about longterm goals if they are looking to get out ??? .

Guest Redcar Mag

Where the fuck are all these Icelandic businessmen coming from anyway? Didn't know there was so much money in fish

Whaling.

Biscuits.

A couple of times recently,  Chris Mort has made a point of saying Ashley is in it for the long term,  and pointed to his other companys as proof of this.   I would be gobsmacked if anything was to come of this at all.

Adidas?

Not a fucking clue.

Guest Chief Bluntasnot

takeovers are like buses.....you wait ages for one then three turn up at once.

No they're not

If he is involved in this takeover then it concerns him.

Eh? If he's acting as some sort of figurehead of this new takeover (IF), then he's sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. Let Mort and Ashley get on with their jobs. Maybe he's concerned they're not bigging him up enough.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

How come everybody wants to buy us all of a sudden? They'll probably have to spend over £60m more than they would a few months ago.

We've spent millions on players, as well as stadium redevelopment plans ...

It could be plausible.  There have been rumours going around for the past couple of days that Paul Kemsley is looking to buy out Levy/Enic.  Whilst he is a seriously wealthy multi-millionaire, he still doesn't have the financial clout to buy the club and progress his ambitions.  Doing the deal with his best mate backing him would make some sense. 

Not suggesting that this is anything but a hypothetical situation but I wouldn't say it would never happen.