Paul Gilder - local journalist with brain - shock read!

TRon

Another good article light years ahead of what we are used to being fed in the Ronny. It might not be for everyone, but this sort of sensible reporting does the world of good compared to those who are only interested in headline rubbish.

Just a part of the article below, worth reading the full story though  :thup:

Sam Allardyce departed disappointed but not disheartened, a manager who is a self-proclaimed pessimist insisting there was cause for optimism following an evening on which the football had dampened enthusiasm as much as the weather.

When the 52-year-old suggested this was a match Newcastle would have lost last season, he was right. For all their offensive failings the resilience with which his side repelled spirited opponents showed progress is being made. As Allardyce has always insisted, success won’t come overnight.

That he has eradicated the soft centre that undermined Glenn Roeder’s ill-fated tenure has ensured there are strong foundations upon which to build.

With Owen, Viduka, Martins and Ameobi (not to mention James Milner and Charles N’Zogbia) Allardyce knows the goals will come. A more important task to tackle on his appointment was a deficient defence. The improvements are obvious.

Removed the link as it was messing up the page. It's from today's Journal if anyone can provide a link.

Guest teepee

that quote is spot on - i was thinking excactly that on my way to work this morning.

this is 1 point we wouldn't have gotten last season i suppose!

At least when we defend we do so as a unit. All the players look focused on where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to be doing. Rozehnal and Taylor look a very neat partnership. With a couple of solid full backs (Belleti and Enrique) we are look to have a better back four than i have ever seen at newcastle.

defence has definitely improved from last year, helped by the fact that that the 3 midfielders we used are defence-orientated

Absolutely, not only that but they are extremely hard workers and leaders too. Hopefully, when Barton returns the midfield will keep that bite but will also have a little extra going forward.

If Agbonlahor would have passed that ball to Reo Coker or Laursen would have headed anywhere but on Harper's body from 3 feet out we would have lost it. We didn't look extremely solid at the back and were kind of lucky not to conceed.

Yes there was the odd lapse, but you have to look at the general set up of the team and it was solid. There will be moans about the lack of chances we created, but you have to give Villa some credit for that. Matches between the top teams are usually stalemate for long periods but people tend to forget that on here.

defence has definitely improved from last year, helped by the fact that that the 3 midfielders we used are defence-orientated

Absolutely, not only that but they are extremely hard workers and leaders too. Hopefully, when Barton returns the midfield will keep that bite but will also have a little extra going forward.

smith, barton, geremi, butt - now thats a physical midfield line-up. Remember also that we have duff, milner, emre, zoggy if we want to play more attack-minded game

If, if, if.

While the free header was a worry and they looked dangerous on the break with pace, I think we were fine at the back on the whole.

Agreed, but we were mostly solid during games last season and the season before. It was the occasional lapses in concentration that hurt us, and the free header or quick breaks through the middle on Saturday were no different in that respect. The quote from the article is a bit neejerk insofar as lady luck was on our side a few times. Our midfield protected the back four better (I wonder what the fan reaction would have been to Roeder playing three defensive midfielders mind), but the back four itself looked a bit shaky and if Villa would have scored from one of our concentration lapses nobody would have said progress had been made defensively or we currently have strong foundations at the back. Still, a clean sheet is a clean sheet and a point is a point. I just wanted to point out that I don't think the "we would have lost this match last season" necessarily holds true as Aston Villa clearly didn't have their shooting boots on..

If, if, if.

While the free header was a worry and they looked dangerous on the break with pace, I think we were fine at the back on the whole.

Agreed, but we were mostly solid during games last season and the season before. It was the occasional lapses in concentration that hurt us, and the free header or quick breaks through the middle on Saturday were no different in that respect. The quote from the article is a bit neejerk insofar as lady luck was on our side a few times. Our midfield protected the back four better (I wonder what the fan reaction would have been to Roeder playing three defensive midfielders mind), but the back four itself looked a bit shaky and if Villa would have scored from one of our concentration lapses nobody would have said progress had been made defensively or we currently have strong foundations at the back. Still, a clean sheet is a clean sheet and a point is a point. I just wanted to point out that I don't think the "we would have lost this match last season" necessarily holds true as Aston Villa clearly didn't have their shooting boots on..

Solid in previous seasons? We looked shakey as fuck.

If, if, if.

Baring in mind we have three supposedly very good defenders to come in, Caçapa, Enrique and hopefully Belletti, we're looking remarkably sound at the back.

I noticed against Blue Star that he was very good technically. He looks quite short but i bet he can put his weight about. Interesting selection choice for Boro.

I reckon he'll be on the bench alongside Enrique, and we'll see them both start against Barnsley.

smith, barton, geremi, butt - now thats a physical midfield line-up. Remember also that we have duff, milner, emre, zoggy if we want to play more attack-minded game

Sensible post. Exactly my thoughts.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

At least when we defend we do so as a unit. All the players look focused on where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to be doing. Rozehnal and Taylor look a very neat partnership. With a couple of solid full backs (Belleti and Enrique) we are look to have a better back four than i have ever seen at newcastle.

Have you even seen them play?

Both still need to adapt, even if we get Belletti.

If, if, if.

Solid in previous seasons? We looked shakey as f***.

Believe it or not, but for a while Boumsong and Bramble looked an excellent partnership in the making. Than there was a blue patch last season where everybody was singing Pearson's praises for making us look solid at the back while we were playing the likes of Moore, Bramble and Ramage regularly. In short, we have been here before and if it's too early to say 4-3-3 will not work for us at home or a defensively minded midfield does not create enough for our strikers than surely it is also too early to say we currently have solid foundations and are making huge progress defensively? It's not just too early, in the two competitive matches we've played so far our defenders have made mistakes that cost us on one occasion and could have cost us dearly on the other..

If Agbonlahor would have passed that ball to Reo Coker or Laursen would have headed anywhere but on Harper's body from 3 feet out we would have lost it. We didn't look extremely solid at the back and were kind of lucky not to conceed.

If my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle! Bloody pessimists do my head in  :bang: ! This season promises to be one of the best seasons we've had for ages and yet people still moan - jeez no pleasing some people!

By the way loving this smilie!  :banana:

Have you even seen them play?

Both still need to adapt, even if we get Belletti.

Honestly? I've seen Belletti on telly a couple of times and thats about it.

However, sadly most of us still have to rely upon reputation and the opinion of those who have seen them play. So far Allardyces signings have been great and i'd hazard a guess to say they these two would not disapoint. Fingers crossed Allardyce has done his research and know the ins and outs.

Guest teepee

physical, but crap, line up..... it'll be four (at least three) players running aroung the centre circle