Smith and Owen to start together upfront against Germany

OzzieMandias

No doubt people will moan about that, and I know it's only a friendly, and I know it's under McClaren, but I must admit it's kind of cool that our country's forward-force will be made up of Toon players.

Very, very, very slight bit of pride.

Guest justin99.

Each have done nothing to deserve a spot, especially Owen.

He hasn't even played a full game for Newcastle in what 6 months!

I'd feel prouder if I thought they were up to the job.

Like I said, "very, very, very slight bit of pride" and it's more because of the extra recognition it gets us than because they actually deserve it.

fs Owen no were near ready to play

Only way he'll be ready to play is game time. As long as he doesn't crock himself again, an hour or so will do him the world of good. And if he does crock himself, well he would have done it anyway, let's face it.

They're English, top-flight strikers, not presently injured and willing.  That puts them in a fairly small group. 

This gives me some incentive to watch the match, and it will be great to see England's no. 9 & no. 10 from Newcastle (especially when neither of them are first choice forwards at the moment in Sam's 4-3-3)  Just please don't either of them get injured. 

He hasn't even played a full game for Newcastle in what 6 months!

WC was June 2006, you do the maths!

Guest Ebolarama

For everyone saying "they haven't earned [a place in the line-up]," can you even hear yourselves? It's a friendly, there's a lot of injuries, and the players need the time on the pitch to improve. Settle.

As has already been mentioned its funny that neither players are probably first choice strikers for our next game and yet they start for the national side. No idea how Owen will do, as he's not done anything of note for us yet.

I feel England are doing us a favour for once though with Owen as he needs games and i'd love him to have a storming game and score a few, althogh i doubt this will happen.

Saying that if either got injured i'd still be a bit pissed off, although you kind of almost expect it with little Mickey the delicate little flower.

I'd rather see Smith up front than in midfield, as he is poorer at the latter than the former. But he's not international class by any means.

Owen DOES have that class, clearly, but is short of match fitness. If he can get some of that from playing tonight, thats cool.

I love England, but it just makes me wich we had better players than Smith fit, even for friendlies.

They're English, top-flight strikers, not presently injured and willing.  That puts them in a fairly small group. 

This gives me some incentive to watch the match, and it will be great to see England's no. 9 & no. 10 from Newcastle (especially when neither of them are first choice forwards at the moment in Sam's 4-3-3)  Just please don't either of them get injured. 

They may not be Sams first choice Forwards at the moment but Sams first choice strikers are also first choice for their respective countries also.

Guest microbar

Looking forward to seeing the pair of them wear the england shirts once again,

Just please god no injurys, cant do them any harm they both need the time on the pitch.  :clap:

Not suprised Owen will start, I am about Smith though. Funny how Shola is above him in the pecking order for us and him and Owen played together up front against blue star last week (yes reserves are hardly the same as an International game before anyone points that out) but when have Smith and Owen last played a game together?

Not heard 1 single person, paper or pundit suggest or talk about Ameobi playing for England in over a weeks build up. Funny what playing for one of the top 4 clubs for a few years can do for you...

This point isn't that Shola is England class btw