Smith and Owen to start together upfront against Germany

OzzieMandias

Guest Hoop Blah

Not suprised Owen will start, I am about Smith though. Funny how Shola is above him in the pecking order for us and him and Owen played together up front against blue star last week (yes reserves are hardly the same as an International game before anyone points that out) but when have Smith and Owen last played a game together?

Not heard 1 single person, paper or pundit suggest or talk about Ameobi playing for England in over a weeks build up. Funny what playing for one of the top 4 clubs for a few years can do for you...

This point isn't that Shola is England class btw

If you had the midfield options available to England I think you might see Smith playing upfront ahead of Ameobi!

You lot should be pleased that Owen is being given a run out in a friendly for England as it'll bring him that bit closer to match sharpness for you to benefit from.

Not suprised Owen will start, I am about Smith though. Funny how Shola is above him in the pecking order for us and him and Owen played together up front against blue star last week (yes reserves are hardly the same as an International game before anyone points that out) but when have Smith and Owen last played a game together?

Not heard 1 single person, paper or pundit suggest or talk about Ameobi playing for England in over a weeks build up. Funny what playing for one of the top 4 clubs for a few years can do for you...

This point isn't that Shola is England class btw

Not funny at all, it's painfully unfunny to have Ameobi above anyone in the pecking order.

Two seperate issues.

Owen- Happy enough because he DESPERATELY needs games to get his match sharpness back, especially when he thrives on sharpness. As people say if he gets injured, he probably would have done for us anyway.

Smith- Will be interesting to see what he can do alongside one of our other players in attack. Doesn't so much need the fitness but confidence infront of goal. Isn't really injury prone so i would expect to see him get injured or two tired for Boro.

More importantly i hope Taylor doesn't get injured, that would be a major blow. Great experiance fo the lad though.

Good player is Smudger.

He's got 3 goals in his last 70+ competitive games now at club level.

So, he really is a perfect replacement for Dyer.

Dyer got 14 goals in his last 70 games at club level so I'd say not, then again he doesn't get stuck in like Snudger does so that doesn't matter.

And we go into the rest of the season with one striker capable of playing off Viduka and a very inconsistent one at that. Great ©.

exactly.. wish the haters would give it a rest, at least until he's played enough to actually confirm whether he's sh*t or not.

Good player is Smudger.

Dyer got 14 goals in his last 70 games at club level so I'd say not, then again he doesn't get stuck in like Snudger does so that doesn't matter.

And 20 in the previous 216. He's a meastro!

Good player is Smudger.

That wasn't quite the point I'm making, my point has always been to replace Dyer with a player with pace who can stretch games, we've seen in the past before we signed Bellamy and Robert how a team can be changed when you add it, we should have been looking to replace Dyer with someone with similar pace but more consistent in his football rather than a talentless grafter who gets stuck in.

Good player is Smudger.

That wasn't quite the point I'm making, my point has always been to replace Dyer with a player with pace who can stretch games, we've seen in the past before we signed Bellamy and Robert how a team can be changed when you add it, we should have been looking to replace Dyer with someone with similar pace but more consistent in his football rather than a talentless grafter who gets stuck in.

Dyer didn't stretch games. He scored very few, created even less.

Good player is Smudger.

I know it's hard but look past your hatred for Dyer and see the bit I've highlighted, do you agree with that?

Good player is Smudger.

I know it's hard but look past your hatred for Dyer and see the bit I've highlighted, do you agree with that?

No, i don't. I don't want a player who can run fast with the ball. I want a player to run fast with the ball and do something with it. Its not about more consistency than Dyer, its about more talent.

I don't think Smith is a replacement for Dyer (at least, he shouldn't be), but then i don't think we need a replacement for a midfielder who was shit on the wing, and offered v little in the centre.

Good player is Smudger.

No, i don't. I don't want a player who can run fast with the ball. I want a player to run fast with the ball and do something with it. Its not about more consistency than Dyer, its about more talent.

I don't think Smith is a replacement for Dyer (at least, he shouldn't be), but then i don't think we need a replacement for a midfielder who was s*** on the wing, and offered v little in the centre.

Agree with what baggio's saying, its what i was thinking when all of you wanted dyer gone. but to call smith  "talentless" is taking it too far. smith is a good player and his passion more than makes up for his lack of pace,  his passing game is often overlooked aswell; much rather have him than geremi, i mean we've seen smith play very well for manyoo and don't understand where all this negativity is coming from. He's highly rated by his own fans because of his great attitude and ability on the field.

Im going to end up contradicting myself now, but yeah we really need pacey playmaker..

Good player is Smudger.

I don't think Smith is a replacement for Dyer (at least, he shouldn't be), but then i don't think we need a replacement for a midfielder who was s*** on the wing, and offered v little in the centre.

Agree with what baggio's saying, its what i was thinking when all of you wanted dyer gone. but to call smith  "talentless" is taking it too far. smith is a good player and his passion more than makes up for his lack of pace,  his passing game is often overlooked aswell; much rather have him than geremi, i mean we've seen smith play very well for manyoo and don't understand where all this negativity is coming from. He's highly rated by his own fans because of his great attitude and ability on the field.

Im going to end up contradicting myself now, but yeah we really need pacey playmaker..

we do need a pacey playmaker, but we needed one when we HAD Dyer.

Smith is not highly rated by many Man Utd fans as a midfielder, but when played further up front he's viewed as doing alright.

Good player is Smudger.

Smith is not highly rated by many Man Utd fans as a midfielder, but when played further up front he's viewed as doing alright.

Yeah but we had the pacey part.

Smith is highly rated by man utd fans, many were sad to see him go.

Good player is Smudger.

Yeah but we had the pacey part.

Pace without end product of some kind is useless. Else Des Hamilton would've had the world at his feet.

Hasn't happened since Ferdinand and Shearer started together for England.  That did happen once, didn't it?

Don't think so. I can't remember it anyway.

Hasn't happened since Ferdinand and Shearer started together for England.  That did happen once, didn't it?

I thought it did, and Shearer got the only two goals in the game. Can't remember who against mind. Also don't know if I'm making it up, but I don't think I am....

I thought it did, and Shearer got the only two goals in the game. Can't remember who against mind. Also don't know if I'm making it up, but I don't think I am....

You might be right mate. I just have no recollection of it. I think there's a rundown of Shearer's England goals on .com though so I'll see if I can dig the side out from that game (there can't have been too many England games where Shearer scored both in a 2-0 win).