Everton fans vote to leave Liverpool

Delima

Still think that it is extremely sad for Everton to move out from Liverpool. Surely the immediate financial benefits the Kirkby Stadium bring couldn't compensate the long term lose of local fan base? Newcastle United supporters are "loyal" because they have only one big club available to them. I can't envisage where Everton will draw their fans from after, say, 30 years?

At least the decision to move is approved by the voting majority, (apparently).

The Guardian

Everton fans vote to leave Liverpool

25,761 cast votes in club ballot

Paul Doyle

Friday August 24, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

Goodison Park

This sign will soon be outdated. Photograph: Christopher Thomond

Soon there will be only one team in Liverpool: Everton fans have voted to back their club's proposal to move from Goodison Park to a new 55,000-seater stadium in Kirkby which, though only a few miles away, lies outside the city limits.

Following a ballot of season-ticket holders and Everton members, 59.27% of the 25,761 fans who voted expressed their support for the move. It seems, then, that for most Evertonians, pragmatic concern for the club's long-term financial health overrides the emotional wrench of abandoning a ground that has been the club's home since 1892 and ceding the city to Liverpool Football Club.

Article continues

The capacity of Goodison Park is just over 40,000, and swelling home attendances by 15,000 would provide a welcome boost to Everton's funds. The stadium in Kirkby will be built in collaboration with Knowsley Borough Council and supermarket giants Tesco - and some at Everton have claimed that the club may only have to cough up £10m as its part of the deal, less than they spent earlier this week on striker Aiyegebni Yakubu.

"We are the only major club in Europe to have handed over a decision of such importance and magnitude to its fan-base - something which simply serves to underscore the enormously high regard in which we hold our supporters," read a statement on the club's website. "We now have a mandate to carry on negotiations with our two project partners - Knowsley Borough Council and Tesco.

"Whilst we concede that the proposed move has undoubtedly provoked a heated and sustained debate, it is reassuring to know that the majority of Evertonians do support the club as it pursues its long-held desire to provide a world-class stadium for its world-class support.

"The result comes at the end of a transparent, democratic process and we believe that now is the time for all supporters of Everton Football Club to set aside any differences of opinion and unite for the common good.

"The simple truth is, we all want the same thing - a thriving, ambitious and prosperous club away from the field of play and an attractive, competitive team on it."

You have to remember than Anfield and Goodison are not in the heart of the city like St James' is. This is further out but not the end of the world. Could Everton fill a 50.000 stadium though? Can't see it myself, not unless they're doing well every year.

everton could fill about 40,000-45,000 then say give away fans 5,000 and it would be pretty much full

they are going to be up there challenging for europe

If they give away 5000 tickets every season then why on earth would any fan want to actually buy a ticket?..

everton could fill about 40,000-45,000 then say give away fans 5,000 and it would be pretty much full

they are going to be up there challenging for europe

wow canny business sense you have there.. thats a lot money being given away

:lol: and if having 50,000 fans everygame got you into europe.. oh sh*t forgot what i was going to say  ???

He meant give away fans 5,000, not give away 5,000 tickets. ffs

ah yes, makes more sense.  sorry kev  O0

:razz: i wish every club would give away 5,000 tickets but these days they are greedy twats

:razz: i wish every club would give away 5,000 tickets but these days they are greedy twats

i bet some people would be unhappy if we gave away fans an allocation of 5,000 at SJP

i bet some people would be unhappy if we gave away fans an allocation of 5,000 at SJP

someone said give away as in for free and i didnt mean that, what ive just said about i wish every club would is that i wish they would give away 5,000 free tickets, thats why i put a  :razz: and it was a little joke

if that makes sense

You may not care and I don't blame ya :parky:

For Evertonians though it is soul destroying.  In terms of arbitary boundaries as Troll says it's like Newcastle playing in Wallsend.  However, Kirkby is roughly 10 miles away from town so in distance it's more like Newcatle moving to Whitley Bay.  But without the transport links  :-[

Guest toonlass

The problem with this is that Liverpool have been granted permission to build their new stadium in the city, and there is nowhere for Everton to build theirs within the city boundaries. However Kirkby is not that far out of the City of Liverpool, and if it is better than playing at Goodison and being limited to expansion it is better than nothing. However I would hate to think that Newcastle would play at Kingston Park, Whitley Bay or Wideopen.  :tickedoff:

The problem with this is that Liverpool have been granted permission to build their new stadium in the city, and there is nowhere for Everton to build theirs within the city boundaries. However Kirkby is not that far out of the City of Liverpool, and if it is better than playing at Goodison and being limited to expansion it is better than nothing. However I would hate to think that Newcastle would play at Kingston Park, Whitley Bay or Wideopen.  :tickedoff:

Kingston Park would be OK (from the "being within the City Boundary" perspective) as it is in Newcastle.

But Whitley Bay and Wideopen are both outside the City, being in 'North Tyneside'.

Kingston Park would be OK (from the "being within the City Boundary" perspective) as it is in Newcastle.

But Whitley Bay and Wideopen are both outside the City, being in 'North Tyneside'.

To be honest ....

WHO GIVES A FLYING f***?

Agreed, as while moving outside the City Boundaries has been actively considered many times in the past (I seem to remember) it will never happen to us now. Even with the 'brand new regime' in power, any stadium changes will surely only involve an expansion at SJP.

SJP is in such a fantastic location, being not just "in Newcastle", but being "in the City Centre" -  and not just in the City Centre, but being on a hill, 'lording it over' everywhere. 

FANTASTIC STADIUM!!

Guest toonlass

My point exactly. I don't want a stadium within an industrial park a la the Riverside, JJB or Madejski. I love the fact that St James' is in the city centre.

To be honest ....

WHO GIVES A FLYING f***?

Agreed, as while moving outside the City Boundaries has been actively considered many times in the past (I seem to remember) it will never happen to us now. Even with the 'brand new regime' in power, any stadium changes will surely only involve an expansion at SJP.

SJP is in such a fantastic location, being not just "in Newcastle", but being "in the City Centre" -  and not just in the City Centre, but being on a hill, 'lording it over' everywhere. 

FANTASTIC STADIUM!!

if they expanded it to 60,000 oh boy... i'm drooling

To be honest ....

WHO GIVES A FLYING f***?

FANTASTIC STADIUM!!

Personally, I am certain they WILL expand to 60,000.  I know under the old regime is was 'about to happen' as part of plans by Freddy for the area around SJP that the club own.

Ashley (via Mort) strikes me as someone who knows how to make money (!) so I am certain he will proceed with most of it  -  particularly (the important bit, for me) the actual continuation of 'Level 7' around the Gallowgate end, taking us to the 60,000+ figure.

To be honest ....

WHO GIVES A FLYING f***?

FANTASTIC STADIUM!!

Personally, I am certain they WILL expand to 60,000.  I know under the old regime is was 'about to happen' as part of plans by Freddy for the area around SJP that the club own.

Ashley (via Mort) strikes me as someone who knows how to make money (!) so I am certain he will proceed with most of it  -  particularly (the important bit, for me) the actual continuation of 'Level 7' around the Gallowgate end, taking us to the 60,000+ figure.

i thought plans stopped tbh.. excellent if it happens

To be honest ....

WHO GIVES A FLYING f***?

FANTASTIC STADIUM!!

i thought plans stopped tbh.. excellent if it happens

No, but they (like all activities) are part of "the Review" and the property side of things is still being considered. I just think that expansion to 60,000 (if not the rest of Freddy's plans) WILL go ahead eventually.