Middlesbrough 2 - 2 Newcastle - 26/08/07 - Post match reaction from page 18

Dave

Few points:

1. Too many long balls.

2. Are we relying too much of the front 3 to do the attacking?

3. Even the 3 central midfielders couldn't outplay Boro 2 central midfielders.

4. Aliadere is proving to be a shrewd buy for Middlesbrough.

5. We should start Cacapa.

6. These are not to be interpreted as wanting Sam out of the club.

Who were our front 3?

Can't believe people are knocking Milner's performance today. Unbelievable.

I thought he was one of our best players,pity every time he skipped by someone he got hacked down!

He got kicked all over the pitch for 90 minutes for the team. His end product was lacking a little but he had to do virtually everything himself.

I thought he was one of our best players,pity every time he skipped by someone he got hacked down!

He got kicked all over the pitch for 90 minutes for the team. His end product was lacking a little but he had to do virtually everything himself.

[/quote

I thought the ref should have given him more protection,he flashed a few yellow cards but he should have taken them aside and given them a stern warning as well!]

Milner worked very hard for the whole game and created some good runs and some chances. He was one of the few that I was pleased with.

Where was Smith the entire game? He seemed to disappear for large periods of time. I feel that it should have been him who came off, when Owen came on. If Allardyce is going to keep him in as a midfielder, I hope he improves.

Other than that, yeah, Boro seemed the better team. I actually have to give them a bit of credit for their determination, coming back after two goals the way they did.

Looking forward  to a new RB in the next week.

Guest Geordiesned

Really? I haven't read the rest of the thread but it's unbelievable that he's being knocked as I thought he was one of our best players!

Other thoughts on the day - Harper really pisses me off the way he takes forever to take goal kicks and release the ball generally. We should have been going all out to get 3 points near the end and he's playing for a point. Far too negative.

The ref was a cock - stopped the game every time a Boro player went down and yet played on when 2 Newcastle players went down with head injuries - Rozzy in the 1st half and Zoggy in the 2nd half. Also, I was convinced at the time and am still convinced having watched it back that we should have had a free kick for a deliberate back pass by Downing in the 2nd half.

Mido - can't really blame him for his goal celebration tbh - I'd challenge anyone not to react when he's had to listen to: "Mido is a paedo", "Mido is a terrorist", "Mido, he's got a bomb you know" and "He's going to blow in a minute". Get ready for the racism accusations!

I thought we defended too deep at times which allowed Boro back into the game and we failed to close them down when they had the ball around our area - Nicky Butt was the only one trying to close down at times.

Free kicks - need a lot of work! We played some very poor central kicks straight into the arms of their keeper when it was crying out for someone to make a run into a wide area to receive it.

Cacapa - very impressed. Read the game well and put in a couple of great challenges.

Overall - we need width. At times when Boro were on top we were chasing shadows and the midfield was being pulled all over the place. Zoggy showed that he's great going forward but very dodgy defensively. When Enrique comes in I'd like to see Zoggy go to left wing with Milner on the right which I feel would give us better attacking options whilst still having a solid midfield.

Mido - can't really blame him for his goal celebration tbh - I'd challenge anyone not to react when he's had to listen to: "Mido is a paedo", "Mido is a terrorist", "Mido, he's got a bomb you know" and "He's going to blow in a minute". Get ready for the racism accusations!

Is that true? Our travelling fans were chanting that? Well, I don't blame him either then.

I think we have to go 442 against Wigan, we can't afford to be dropping points by entering into a game of head tennis against poor teams, it simply levels out the playing field. Wigan, with the likes of Bramble, Heskey and Sibierski will be only too happy to pump it long, we have to get it down and play some football and ask some questions of their defence. Two wingers and two strikers and let's have a go at them.

Guest Geordiesned

Is that true? Our travelling fans were chanting that? Well, I don't blame him either then.

It was a minority chanting the terrorist stuff but it was very audible.

Really? I haven't read the rest of the thread but it's unbelievable that he's being knocked as I thought he was one of our best players!

Other thoughts on the day - Harper really pisses me off the way he takes forever to take goal kicks and release the ball generally. We should have been going all out to get 3 points near the end and he's playing for a point. Far too negative.

The ref was a cock - stopped the game every time a Boro player went down and yet played on when 2 Newcastle players went down with head injuries - Rozzy in the 1st half and Zoggy in the 2nd half. Also, I was convinced at the time and am still convinced having watched it back that we should have had a free kick for a deliberate back pass by Downing in the 2nd half.

I thought we defended too deep at times which allowed Boro back into the game and we failed to close them down when they had the ball around our area - Nicky Butt was the only one trying to close down at times.

Free kicks - need a lot of work! We played some very poor central kicks straight into the arms of their keeper when it was crying out for someone to make a run into a wide area to receive it.

Cacapa - very impressed. Read the game well and put in a couple of great challenges.

Overall - we need width. At times when Boro were on top we were chasing shadows and the midfield was being pulled all over the place. Zoggy showed that he's great going forward but very dodgy defensively. When Enrique comes in I'd like to see Zoggy go to left wing with Milner on the right which I feel would give us better attacking options whilst still having a solid midfield.

Pretty much agree with all that. Of the 3 CMs, though Butt was easily the best and Smith almost totally invisible for much of the game (when they weren't getting in each other's way). Geremi not much better, either, tbh. Viduka no way near fit, although he had a tough game and didn't get much protection. Liked the look of Cacapa, looks like he has a very cool head and good reading of the game.

Notice how the TV haven't picked up on him giving some of our fans the V sign. Quickly changed it to the huntington-esque "i cant hear you" thingy, when we went mental at him.

Milner, Viduka, Martins?

It's not exactly a front 3 though is it?  Like I said earlier, it's a front 1 with 2 players wider than a normal forward.

How more pedantic can you get than that? You knew what he meant.

Guest ExiledGeordie

Milner was shit, there goes out chance of the title, blah, blah, blah. Some of you lot want a word with yoruselves. We've played THREE games and we HAVEN'T LOST. Two of those games have been away where we LOST last season. It'll take BS and the players time to really settle time. Yeah I was disappointed we didn't win but move on.

I agree I'd like to see a more attacking formation next week especially as I'm going, lol. Crucial to get Enrique and Barton into the side and BS may still bring some others in.

Some of you lot have had a coffee and need to calm down a bit. Look at the bigger picture. Would you rather have Roeder or Souness as manager with a sense of going nowhere. Rome wasn't built overnight lads.

Keep the faith.

Guest Geordiesned

Pretty much agree with all that. Of the 3 CMs, though Butt was easily the best and Smith almost totally invisible for much of the game (when they weren't getting in each other's way). Geremi not much better, either, tbh. Viduka no way near fit, although he had a tough game and didn't get much protection. Liked the look of Cacapa, looks like he has a very cool head and good reading of the game.

I agree Geremi had a poor game and Smith was anonymous and should have been subbed off IMO. From what I've seen so far (and I wasn't at Bolton) but the current midfield trio isn't working. It'll be very interesting to see what formation Big Sam is wanting to play once he has Barton available.

Guest Geordiesned

Notice how the TV haven't picked up on him giving some of our fans the V sign. Quickly changed it to the huntington-esque "i cant hear you" thingy, when we went mental at him.

I thought he was just giving it the "shhhh" finger to the mouth sign tbh. Haven't seen it back on TV though.

Sam might be working on defence but today was the same old Newcastle, taking the lead and then giving it up with 6 minutes first time and 2 minutes next, without the creativity.

I can't see how the 3 in midfield are working together, who's breaking when we're on the attack? It seemed Butt was getting forward but surely Smith, with his goal scoring history, should be the main attacking midfielder. Instead Smith was largely anonymous today.

It was criminal they way we squandered the lead so easily playing an ultra defensive formation. Charlie's goal should have been enough to secure the 3 points.

Guest Geordiesned

I hope none of our fans complain to the police, stewards or FA regarding Mido. We fans have got to be willing to take the verbals if we give it.

If anyone's likely to complain it'll be Mido tbh. I was sat just a few seats away from an Asian lad who didn't know what do to with himself when the terrorist chants were aimed at Mido. The chants, after all, were purely down to the colour of his skin. Unless of course I've somehow missed the story about Mido being investigated by the police for making homemade roadside incenduary devices?

How more pedantic can you get than that? You knew what he meant.

It's not pedantic at all, we didn't play with a front 3, the difference between a front 1 and 3 is quite a large one I'd have thought.

It's not exactly a front 3 though is it?  Like I said earlier, it's a front 1 with 2 players wider than a normal forward.

I suppose a wide forward is still a forward?

I understand what you are trying to say. But Milner and Martins are forwards in this game, the front line of attack, just like Djiouf and and Davies for Allardyce's Bolton.