Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

I've been a fan of Taylor's but he's not even at the point where he's not progressing anymore, he's actually moving backwards at this point.

That said, I think Cacapa is pretty desperate as well. Intelligent player but hasn't got the pace or power for the league IMO, any striker with a bit of pace or strength will dominate him.

Faye looks our best CB, and even then I'm not sure how good he is.

Edit: Nice typo on Taylor there.  :lol:

Steven Taylor is more mistake prone and not as good a natural defender as Dabizas, Bramble, O'Brien, Rozenhal and a few others who were heavily (often unfairly) criticised and eventually offloaded as not being good enough for Newcastle.

Bramble bore the brunt of the criticism and blame when we lost in Alkmaar last year although watching the game Taylor looked to be the worst offender.

I think the criticism being levelled at him now is just people waking up and finally seeing beyond the local lad rhetoric and badge kissing stuff. He is simply not a top level defender. In fact from what I've seen this season he doesn't defend at all.

Saddens me to say it, as I would genuinely have loved to see this homegrown product at the heart of our defence, but he really needs to step down a level or two to make his living in the game.

I think Taylor has a massive up hill struggle to get to where he could be, to be honest i dont think he'llmake it, his defending is far too flaky at times and we dont have the coaching set up to bring the raw ingredients together for him to prosper, his positional sense and concentration is non existent and to be honest he will never be able to dominate a top striker which is vital for him if he wants to be a top defender, you have to ask yourself if the likes of Taylor have the talent to be able to dominate a striker like Drogba or Adebayor and the honest answer for most of you will be not, physically he isnt as strong as Drogba and mentally he's not as sharp as the likes of Rooney or Tevez.

I personally like Cacapa more than i like Taylor, there is no doubt that has a much sharper brain than Taylor, however physicaly he isnt as strong as the likes of Faye, i would like to see those 2 together a little more, i think there is definitely a partnership there, hell id like to see Roz back in the sweeper role. He was unlucky in my book.

Taylor gets away with a hell of a lot because he's a local lad, if he was a foreigner would you all be so easy to forgive his mistakes?

A load of pish of the highest order, especially the bit i highlighted. Which defenders could we attract that could dominate Drogba, Adebayor and be sharper than Ronaldo and Rooney??? ...thinking about it how many defenders in the world could do that?

Taylor is a very good young defender who sweats blood for us, in a team which is performing shockingly shite, a defence which is all over the place and under huge pressure and up against the on form well organised, well oilled Man u machine which headed by Rooney Ronaldo etc who look not far off invincible in current form (arguably the best team in the world). John Terry would struggle in place of Taylor! Yes he/we got ripped appart by one of the best players in the world. Boo Hoo!! He is a far better player than some on here think.

Guest elbee909

Defence is poorly drilled right now and confidence is that shattered that individual defenders are less likely to know how to handle any given situation.  And thus will make stupid mistakes, esp. if trying to impress, ironically enough.

Don't think Taylor's going backwards, he's just going through the ups and downs that many younger players go through.  Terry had world class players around him when he hit similar veins of form; Taylor doesn't have that.  I'd give the lad a break for this season unless you'd prefer he sodded off to Spurs or the like, and then moan about him strangely improving.

I think Taylor has a massive up hill struggle to get to where he could be, to be honest i dont think he'llmake it, his defending is far too flaky at times and we dont have the coaching set up to bring the raw ingredients together for him to prosper, his positional sense and concentration is non existent and to be honest he will never be able to dominate a top striker which is vital for him if he wants to be a top defender, you have to ask yourself if the likes of Taylor have the talent to be able to dominate a striker like Drogba or Adebayor and the honest answer for most of you will be not, physically he isnt as strong as Drogba and mentally he's not as sharp as the likes of Rooney or Tevez.

I personally like Cacapa more than i like Taylor, there is no doubt that has a much sharper brain than Taylor, however physicaly he isnt as strong as the likes of Faye, i would like to see those 2 together a little more, i think there is definitely a partnership there, hell id like to see Roz back in the sweeper role. He was unlucky in my book.

Taylor gets away with a hell of a lot because he's a local lad, if he was a foreigner would you all be so easy to forgive his mistakes?

A load of pish of the highest order, especially the bit i highlighted. Which defenders could we attract that could dominate Drogba, Adebayor and be sharper than Ronaldo and Rooney??? ...thinking about it how many defenders in the world could do that?

Taylor is a very good young defender who sweats blood for us, in a team which is performing shockingly shite, a defence which is all over the place and under huge pressure and up against the on form well organised, well oilled Man u machine which headed by Rooney Ronaldo etc who look not far off invincible in current form (arguably the best team in the world). John Terry would struggle in place of Taylor! Yes he/we got ripped appart by one of the best players in the world. Boo Hoo!! He is a far better player than some on here think.

Apart from the usual 'blaming those around him' bollocks that Taylor fans always seem to trot out, do you really think people are assessing Taylor on his performance against Man Utd or on the other 100 or so starts he's had? He's fucking shite man.

Defence is poorly drilled right now and confidence is that shattered that individual defenders are less likely to know how to handle any given situation.  And thus will make stupid mistakes, esp. if trying to impress, ironically enough.

Don't think Taylor's going backwards, he's just going through the ups and downs that many younger players go through.  Terry had world class players around him when he hit similar veins of form; Taylor doesn't have that.  I'd give the lad a break for this season unless you'd prefer he sodded off to Spurs or the like, and then moan about him strangely improving.

If you think Spurs or the like are going to headhunt Taylor you must be off your rocker. Ramos bought Woodgate to mark players not run to the goal line to make last-ditch clearances, or clutch his gut to to try and con the ref he didn't handle on the line.

Guest elbee909

If you think Spurs or the like are going to headhunt Taylor you must be off your rocker. Ramos bought Woodgate to mark players not run to the goal line to make last-ditch clearances, or clutch his gut to to try and con the ref he didn't handle on the line.

Yeah, no other club has ever shown an interest in buying Steven Taylor.  Of course.

I love that like. Spurs/Liverpool/Arsenal are interested according to some red top article that would otherwise be mocked, therefore he must be a good player.

Yeah, no other club has ever shown an interest in buying Steven Taylor.  Of course.

Only Liverpool on several occasions, of course he's not good enough for this magnificent club.

Only Liverpool on several occasions, of course he's not good enough for this magnificent club.

If Liverpool or Spurs buy him you can bump this post and tell us we were all wrong.

Good. Hope they buy him.

Shame they never got him.

If Liverpool or Spurs buy him you can bump this post and tell us we were all wrong.

This team/squad and club is rotten to the core, yet the stand out target is a lad who loves the club more than any other players currently in a B&W shirt, i love it i really do.

He's not performing in a mess of a 1st team and because of that he's now not going to make it, doomed to fail.

Possibly correct if he hangs around this shithole, its dragging him down, if i were him i'd hand in my transfer request and get as far away from this shambles as i possibly could.

The club is letting him down more than he's letting the club down.

Good. Hope they buy him.

So do I for his sake.

Good. Hope they buy him.

So do I for his sake.

So do I. For NUFC's sake. He'd do better in a better side no doubt, initially anyway. But he'd get found out soon enough.

He's hardly the stand out target tbf, there are plenty of people getting grief right now.

And a lot of the people at SJP seem to love him.

So everyone on hear has to be super negative towards him to make up for it. I get it, unfortunately.

Sell him in the summer and get a real young prospect like Onuoha in, who Keegan is familiar with.

I thought it was disgusting how Taylor got all the plaudits at the under 21 tournament due to his I took a penalty with one foot action hero act. Onuoha was a beast and did all the work, while Taylor stuck out his chest and put on his I'm so committed face, largely doing nought.

Good. Hope they buy him.

So do I for his sake.

So do I. For NUFC's sake. He'd do better in a better side no doubt, initially anyway. But he'd get found out soon enough.

He'd have better players around him though to make him look good. I mean that's what we need right?

He's hardly the stand out target tbf, there are plenty of people getting grief right now.

So everyone on hear has to be super negative towards him to make up for it. I get it, unfortunately.

Fucking hell, not again. :lol:

Good. Hope they buy him.

So do I for his sake.

NUFC have hampered his career. Sure they gave him his break, but after that they've stopped his development with poor coaching, no role models for him, poor on pitch performances and a host of managerial changes.

Continuity breeds success everyone was shouting before SA was sacked, does that not count in this case, only when looking for a weak reason to defend a shit managers poor efforts?

No, I just think he's shit. I've seen enough evidence of it. This is a thread about him btw.

This team/squad and club is rotten to the core, yet the stand out target is a lad who loves the club more than any other players currently in a B&W shirt, i love it i really do.

He's not performing in a mess of a 1st team and because of that he's now not going to make it, doomed to fail.

Possibly correct if he hangs around this shithole, its dragging him down, if i were him i'd hand in my transfer request and get as far away from this shambles as i possibly could.

The club is letting him down more than he's letting the club down.

I don't care if he loves the club. He isn't good enough to be playing in the team right now.

Yet he is, due to this idea he is a young prospect and a local lad who loves the club and is committed to it nonsense.

The guy isn't good enough, and the more he plays and the more it costs us, the angrier I get. Nothing personal, but the simple fact is that I know we can put out a better defensive unit that doesn't include him.

Good. Hope they buy him.

So do I for his sake.

NUFC have hampered his career. Sure they gave him his break, but after that they've stopped his development with poor coaching, no role models for him, poor on pitch performances and a host of managerial changes.

Continuity breeds success everyone was shouting before SA was sacked, does that not count in this case, only when looking for a weak reason to defend a shit managers poor efforts?

Always excuses being made for him. Do you have to be in a superb side to develop as a youngster like. What a load of rubbish. Don't you know Taylor btw?