Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

Guest Erich von Manstein

Mate in Liverpool reckons they will bid for him now Carra and Hyppia are out.

Would you sell him??

Definitely.

Depends whether or not Ashleys going to give KK mega money to spend, and how much Liverpool would offer. If we've got cash to splash, don't sell him - he is still young, is a local lad and does have ability, nevermind how poor his performances have been recently.

If we've not got a lot to spend (which would be a very, very bad situation) then as long as Liverpool were offering a lot (more than 10 mil?) we should sell him to try and find better replacements.

He's burst onto the scene a few seasons ago, everybody liked the look of him, and since then he hasn't really looked like fulfilling the potential. However, he's been playing for poor managers in a poor team in front of massive crowds - not easy for an inexperienced defender. Were John Terry or Carrager that much better than Taylor at the same age? Forgeting about how much we dislike those two as people, as defenders we'd absolutely love them in our team - home grown, high quality defenders who love playing for their clubs. They've been allowed to develop in good teams under good managers and now look at them.

Taylor is shit, we're better off without him.

Yeah we need to give Peter "Rampage" Ramage some more game time in his place.

David Edgar.

I love how much hype Edgar gets on the back of a goal against Man Utd and a couple of decent performances.

If he was really all that don't you think he'd be in the 1st team regularly now?

Watch Taylor for England under21s, flawless and looks very decent indeed. I know the standard isn't the same but his all-round play is spot on in pretty much everything he does. Here though...

Anyway he has potential but he's not reaching it, that's down to circumstances and himself. Will he fulfill it? Has a long way to go. Not our worst defender by any means though and not the worst performer at the club either.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Taylor is consistent for the U21's, good defending, sound tackling and very few errors.  By contrast, for Newcastle, Taylor has been poor this season but that doesn't make him a poor defender imo.  I think it indicates more that a young player has been affected by the constant changing of manager, coaches, training methods etc. away from match days and constant changing of defensive partners on match days.  The crowd getting on his back in the matches does little to boost confidence in a team which is obviously lacking that commodity.

I have no doubt that Taylor will come good, no doubt about it at all, and if he was made available for transfer I hope that Spurs would be bidding because, in time, he will be a quality defender.

Taylor is better than Kevin Scott. He is very similar to (although not as fast, or sadly, intelligent)aso Darren Peacock. Personally I feel Peacock was the better player. Steve Howey was better than both by a mile. That Howey never made it due to a plethora of factors tells you how highly I rate Taylor. Not the time to let him go. However, if people are suggesting he is the future then they are setting their targets around the James Milner level. We may have had some arseholes in the past but most of the 2001/2002 team would walk into this side, even in positions they didnt have then.

Taylor is better than Kevin Scott. He is very similar to (although not as fast, or sadly, intelligent)aso Darren Peacock. Personally I feel Peacock was the better player. Steve Howey was better than both by a mile. That Howey never made it due to a plethora of factors tells you how highly I rate Taylor. Not the time to let him go. However, if people are suggesting he is the future then they are setting their targets around the James Milner level. We may have had some arseholes in the past but most of the 2001/2002 team would walk into this side, even in positions they didnt have then.

Welcome back

agree. said in september that Taylor is about as good a centre-half as Milner is a winger. Only that centre-halfs can improve with experience despite being physically worse off when older, whereas the same isn't usually true about wingers.

Guest Erich von Manstein
I love how much hype Edgar gets on the back of a goal against Man Utd and a couple of decent performances.

Yes, this generally happens when you play well

Oliver/local press bum him because he gives them interviews. If Martins did they'd bum him as well. Sadly many fans see this bumming and use it as a stick to beat Taylor. People are actually now using his Geordie/local lad status against him as well, which is sad, just as sad as using others' high rating of him as justification for then saying he's shite, which again a number do, some have even admitted it on here in the past.

I don't think anyone criticises Taylor because he's a local. The criticisms are generally on his actual ability and performance, whereas the praise and adulation is based on his being a geordie who gives his all, loves the badge etc.

Oliver/local press bum him because he gives them interviews. If Martins did they'd bum him as well. Sadly many fans see this bumming and use it as a stick to beat Taylor. People are actually now using his Geordie/local lad status against him as well, which is sad, just as sad as using others' high rating of him as justification for then saying he's shite, which again a number do, some have even admitted it on here in the past.

I don't think anyone criticises Taylor because he's a local. The criticisms are generally on his actual ability and performance, whereas the praise and adulation is based on his being a geordie who gives his all, loves the badge etc.

Thats shite IMO.  He gets more shit for being a Geordie than he does unwarranted praise.  Being a geordie has become a stick to hit him with over the last 12 months.

Thats shite IMO.  He gets more shit for being a Geordie than he does unwarranted praise.  Being a geordie has become a stick to hit him with over the last 12 months.

No one's ever criticised him for being a geordie thoguh have they?

No one's ever criticised him for being a geordie thoguh have they?

Its strange, but people say he gets praise only because he is a geordie, which is nonsense.

Guest Erich von Manstein

So we are now on page 17 and still no sign of any positive attributes for Taylor?

He's a Geordie.

No he's not.

Guest Erich von Manstein

So we are now on page 17 and still no sign of any positive attributes for Taylor?

He's a Geordie.

No he's not.

Correct. Born in London, Boro fan in his youth. Some Geordie!

Where did you hear about him being a Boro fan?