Do we have a key player? Do we need to get one?

Parky

We dont have one, and noone on our books is good enough to get to that level - we have mainly average, above average, and at best, a few good players playing for us, but thats about it. Even those with potential, mainly Zog and Milner, are highly unlikely to get to the level of being a top class standout player at the higher end of Premiership football.

We need to buy someone for this role - its a shame that Tevez has gone as he'd have been ideal, but maybe someone like Diego if he could be persuaded to come here and we could find the funds next summer. Someone who has a great deal of ability and class in his play, who we could build the team around, a player who can drag an "average" or workmanlike team up towards being "good" on a consistent basis.

Its definately something we need and well worth spending big on, because adding solid, average-to-good players might improve the squad and reduce glaring weaknesses that weve had in previous seasons, but it wouldnt give us an upper hand over teams like City, Villa, Portsmouth, West Ham, etc, clubs who are similarly snapping up decent players for moderate prices without having any truly top class attacking/creative players themselves.

If we were playing 442 I would say owen but in this system he might not thrive as he would playing off the shoulder of a "big man".

Joey barton is a possible "driving force" for us and he plays in the right place...

Not Owen, because he might score the goals but he can't create them for himself. He's not the kind of player to take a game into his own hands. Barton or Solano because they can produce something when the team is playing shit, Owen can't. Martins can on the occasion as he showed vs tottenham etc but hes too inconsistant.

Guest firetotheworks

A few potential ones. I think playing to Vidukas, Owens or Bartons strengths could see any of those, or maybe all of them being our key players.

Sam needs to sign his Jay Jay for newcastle, as that is the one area we are lacking!

Solano would be perfect in behind the front 2 or on the right of a 4-3-3, but is he staying?

If he doesn't go this transfer window, I can still see him giving 100% for us, which is something Dyer would never do!

He's got a great range of passing and a quick brain, which the 3 that were in midfield Sunday are just there to stop the opposition going forward, and not to outplay them!

We can argue all we like about we need a rightback first which yes we do, but I think we need someone who can unlock doors more immediately.

We look too predictable at the minute! As our midfield is so far away from the forwards we just resort to hitting aimless long balls that 90% of the time just give it straight back to the opposition.

A few potential ones. I think playing to Vidukas, Owens or Bartons strengths could see any of those, or maybe all of them being our key players.

Two of those aren't good enough and one won't play enough.

Do we need, like, one?

We had one (Shearer) and it sometimes caused complications. We can see Arsenal currently struggling with the hangover of another (Henry).

Man U and Chelsea, meanwhile, each have about four of them.

I'd be more than happy with just the one. :angel:

Guest Magpiecn

Obviously we should have one,but we're not.This player should have the ability to connect the defence and force perfectly .Barton has the potential but needs time.

Do we need, like, one?

We had one (Shearer) and it sometimes caused complications. We can see Arsenal currently struggling with the hangover of another (Henry).

I'm definitely in the we-need-a-bit-more-fucking-flair-in-midfield/link-up camp, but I would never like us again to be as dependent on any player as we were, at times, on Shearer.

It’s a measure of Liverpool's weakness re. Man U and Chelsea that they still depend so much on Gerrard as engine and talisman.

Guest mobiius

Agree totally with those 3, keep them fit and i can see any one of them or all being key players. vids more or less single handedly kept the rabble on teeside up last season with his goals.

Guest firetotheworks

Note the word potential.

Note the word potential.

Yeah this sites fav word. :razz:

Do we need, like, one?

I'm definitely in the we-need-a-bit-more-fucking-flair-in-midfield/link-up camp, but I would never like us again to be as dependent on any player as we were, at times, on Shearer.

It?s a measure of Liverpool's weakness re. Man U and Chelsea that they still depend so much on Gerrard as engine and talisman.

Flair and engine room type player/s yes. It's a sign that Zoggy seems to be our main source of inspiration how desperate we are in this area.

Note the word potential.

Well its in the top 10 probably behind: shit, woeful, crap.......

Note the word potential.

Well its in the top 10 probably behind: shit, woeful, crap.......

:laugh:

For the first time in a long time we are getting a strong minded team together.

But I agree parky, we need a player with that spark; dare I say it a 'flair' player who would be consistent. Where will we find another Peter Beardsley?  Ginola (when he could be arsed) or Tino?

We could end up with a season of turgid but defensive football; we need a playmaker 'spark' player to make it look (occasionally) like a pig with lipstick.

For the first time in a long time we are getting a strong minded team together.

But I agree parky, we need a player with that spark; dare I say it a 'flair' player who would be consistent. Where will we find another Peter Beardsley?  Ginola (when he could be arsed) or Tino?

We could end up with a season of turgid but defensive football; we need a playmaker 'spark' player to make it look (occasionally) like a pig with lipstick.

:lol:

Lovely turn of phrase.  :-*

Better off having a bit of variety rather than the identikit hustle and bustle merchants we have playing at present. I'd hoy Geremi on the right, Zog on the left, Smith and Barton in the middle and Owen/Martins and Viduka up front. If they are still shit then I'd flog the lot, sack the manager and let people who watch on telly decide.

It's the midfield creative force that we are missing, someone with that extra bit of class. Butt, Barton, Smith etc, yes they are decent hardworking players but they don't have that extra quality from midfield that we need. Barton is a different type of player as well, but not the creator we need.

As it has been mentioned Owen without creativity is nothing, and even then it is far from certain that the Owen of 5 years ago still exists.

I've become somewhat concerned with what looks like Allardyce's obsession with packing the team full of hard as nails players, especially in midfield.